Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michele Brock:

Rick,
    Glad to hear that Sarah is making great progress. I spoke to you right after she was diagnosed. Please feel free to contact me at mbrock@sci-step.com if you want additional ideas on things to do with her at home, especially now that she is using braces.

Amazing results come with hard work and dedication.We witness this first hand every day here and would love to help you fight for her recovery! Best of luck at PW this summer-I wish her the best!

Michele Brock
    Thanks for the well wishes, she's 3 weeks into the 9 weeks at PW. Working hard and feeling good.

Sarah has never used braces. She's walking with crutches at PW (a step up from the walker). Some neat things are what shes now doing outside of PW. Just yesterday she played in the pool for 3 hours with her brother and sister, with no assistance (except for getting in and out). She also likes to go to the tennis courts and hit the ball around (while she's at PW, her siblings are taking tennis lessons).

Our biggest prayer was for Sarah to regain confidence in herself again, and I think that slowly, but surely, being achieved.

Rick
    Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Comment

Excellent news!

Rick, this is great news! I'm especially happy to hear Sarah is regaining her confidence. I firmly believe the emotional, psychological and spiritual recovery is just as important as the physical .. which walking with crutches is a very good step. Blessings to you all, and have a great Fourth of July!

Comment

rick....i'm a new guy here im 23..i'm a quad c3-c4..i am so amazed and inspired by your tough lil girl..the video is absolutely amazing...great song too...if she likes it tell her to get barlow girls cd....anyway..i'm so happy for her and i'll definitely pray for you and your entire family...tell her i said hi and that if theres anything i can do to help encourage and support you all..i will be glad to....give her a great big long hug..keep us posted and get us a new video

love in christ
        nathan

ps go girl don't give up

Comment

Originally posted by nbtoppers2
          rick....i'm a new guy here im 23..i'm a quad c3-c4..i am so amazed and inspired by your tough lil girl..the video is absolutely amazing...great song too...if she likes it tell her to get barlow girls cd....anyway..i'm so happy for her and i'll definitely pray for you and your entire family...tell her i said hi and that if theres anything i can do to help encourage and support you all..i will be glad to....give her a great big long hug..keep us posted and get us a new video

love in christ
          nathan

ps go girl don't give up
          Nathan,

Thanks for all the kind words. I'll tell Sarah about her new 'fan'.

While she's never been a quitter (maybe drags her heels every once in a while...lol) and likes a challenge, she is also very modest. She doesn't like any sort of attention, and believe or not, was somewhat upset at me that I let PW post the video of her. It hasn't really clicked that she is such an inspiration to so many folks, whether here, school, church, or wherever. When people approach her with any accolades, I think she gets a little embarrased and uncomfortable. Her mother is kinda the same way, very modest and humble, even though she's the most amazing person I've ever met.

She already has the Barlow Girls cd and it's one of her favs.

Thank you for your prayers, they are priceless.

I'll be leaving this Thurs. (28th) to go back to CA (from VA) and will stay for the last 2 weeks, then bring everyone back home to get ready for school. July 28 will be the one yr mark, though I wasn't scheduled to return for another day or so, I just didn't want to be alone on this day, so we get to celebrate being reunited! YEAH!!!

PW is making another vid of Sarah, so stay posted. I'll make sure you see it.

Rick

PS Thanks Bruce for all the well wishes....tell Kate I said "Hey"
          Rick

Comment

yw

i'd really love to talk to her sometime...so if she or you gets any messengers i'd love to chat and keep in touch....she or you can email me anytime nbwildcats@insightbb.com i help out my youth pastor so i'm kinda busy with school and church but i'll be here 4 you guys whenever...much love..keep me posted on the video

nathan

Comment

Hi Rick,really awesome to see your girl getting her stride back. I'm post 6 months now and am really inspired by her progress. I'm a T 7/8 inc. and am now starting to work on parallel bars. Seeing her take those steps just makes me want to work harder at my recovery. God bless the both of you. Its always encouraging to see SCI people improve in any way possible. Take care,John.

Comment

Great to talk to you the other day Rick. You and your family are certainly blessed. We're going to try to make a push to get out there in the early fall, I can't wait to go. Hopefully I'll talk to you again soon.
                -------7-23-04----------
                C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
                www.darrentempleton.com
                www.pushtowalknj.org

Comment

Continued Improvement

Well, I'm back on the Left coast.

I can tell things are still improving. Sarah can now go from sitting in her wheelchair to standing with her walker all by herself now, its really neat to see her 'get up and go'!. Her steps are getting better and her side steps are also greatly improved.

PW says that her biggest improvement has been her attitude, she is much more into the therapy and doesn't complain near as much.

It's going to be hard to leave, but home becons and high school is just around the corner.

Darrin, the sooner the better. Call any time.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.

Rick
                  Rick

Comment

awesome...i'm so proud of her....don't forget my email address i'd love to talk to her...keep up the good work...be safe getting home...i know it'll be good to get everybody home and settled

Comment

We're home!

Hi folks!

We made it back home in one piece this past Sunday.

We're now trying to piece together Sarah's therapy routine for the immediate future. It looks like we're going to use the services at the local YMCA. We live in a rather small town where everybody knows everybody, so the folks there have been wanting to work with Sarah for some time now, it's just that Sarah wasn't ready to be "put on display" quite yet. But now she's kinda liking the therapy thing and what it brings, a healthy body. Plus her confidence level has grown nicely. So it's looking like a combination of pool therapy and weight training, 3 sessions a week.

We'll also be looking into the VCU Medical Center. They are a model SCI designee and have agreed to see Sarah for possible treatment. But we're finding out that theres a difference between 'therapy' and 'training'. It seems that PW is more of a 'training' facility and this is what we're trying to mimic.

Sarah is now out of her chair more than she's in her chair. She doesn't use the easystand glider 6000 anymore (which is now for sale BTW) because she can stand with her walker just fine and this is much more beneficial to her core strenghtening. She's now walking in front of friends, which was taboo before the summer, and loves to swim and play in the pool all the time. Everyone mentions that they can notice a big change in her and are amazed when they see her in the pool just being a regular kid. God is so good.

Something neat: Last Sunday night an electrical storm came through and caused the power in the house to go off temporarily, no big deal, except it caused the room monitor to shut off. When Sarah awoke a little too early, she called for Mom to come get her, but we didn't hear her due to the monitor being off. Sarah got herself up out of bed, grabbed her walker and walked over to her wheel chair, then rolled over to the monitor, turned it on, and began to blast us for not hearing her calls for help. So while my wife is trying to calm her down, I'm celebrating and cheering (which made Sarah even more mad) that she is finding out that she is not as 'helpless' as she thinks she is.

Well, that's all for now.

Rick
                      Rick

Comment

14 months post

Well, thought it would be a good time for another update.

Sarah continues to improve, abs are the new focal point since it seems shes always doing something new in this area. The trainers at the YMCA keep showing us some new trick, and say they can see improvements from week to week. Last Tuesday, on the floor, Sarah was able to grab her knees to get in a ball position and roll form side to side, with out letting go of her ball position. I tried it myself and found it to be somewhat difficult and requiring decent core strength. She works out with trainers at the Y 3 x a week now.

She is walking about 75% of the time at school (using walker), only using the chair when going to the trailer classrooms (over gravel). She started basketball again last Fri., (asst. coach, team motivator), good to see old friends, though I really wanted her to walk in (but claims shes not ready yet). She has youth on Wen. & Sun. nites. Enjoys going to younger sis's softball games. LOTS of homework.

Had a checkup appt. with orthopedic surgeon yesterday, as well as other physicians. Everyone is very impressed with her progress! We give God all the glory, He is so awesome. But Sarah still hates any doctors appt's, but oh well.
                        One doc kinda made her feel crappy though (her words). The doc would ask if she can tie her own shoes (ans: I can if I have to, but mom & dad usually help), do you cath yourself (ans: no. mom does it), dress yourself (ans: mom helps with pants). When doc left the room, Sarah asked Mom for a piece of paper to spit her gum out with, doc walks back in and says "So, Mom has to throw your gum away for you too huh?" Sarah got pissed, mom got pissed, time to go.

We know that ultimately, Sarah needs to become more independant, many people with worse injuries certainly are, but Sarah is 14. We're asking her to concentrate on getting stronger and we're helping with the loose ends. Mom is just not at the point where she can say "You're are your own kid" with the personal stuff, and Sarah hasn't asked her to go away either. This has been a team effort since day one, and so far, so good. We're truly still hoping that hte B&B will turn back on, and this area will get better.

Oh well, thanks for listening.

Rick
                        Rick

Comment

good deal....yea she should try to be more that way...but moms gonna haveta release some n force her a lil...she'll get mad but will get over it...however its not the doctors place to be a jerk about it...there are other ways of handling it ya know?

Comment

So glad to hear that Sarah is doing so well. I bet she's thrilled to be back "on the courts" with the basketball team. It's got to be so encouraging for her to be a part of the team. It sounds as she's gained a lot more ab & core strength. It's wonderful that she's walking so much. Project Walk has been such a blessing for her hasn't it? I'm so glad that she's had the opportunity to spend her summer there & go through the intensive program with them. I know it was hard to be away from her so much over the time, but I know it was also good for you. I'm sure she's loving being back at school w/her friends(even tho all teenagers hate school lol). As far as how the dr approached her mom helping w/some aspects of independance. That was out of line and inappropriate. Yeah, maybe it's time for her to work on these things, but they have not been her major focus. They have been a secondary issue. I'm sure within the next 6months-year, she's going to WANT to do things like cath w/out mom's help...For NO OTHER reason than she's going to want to go out on dates, with friends, to football games, the mall, away for the weekend, etc....and she's gonna wanna go by herself, w/out having to have mom come along to help her. At this point, I don't think you need to force it on her. She's working hard on so many other things, don't force her into learning to cath on her own until she's ready to do so. It's also very difficult psychologically to do yourself. Not to mention, for us females, it's a lot more difficult & complicated than it is for guys to self-cath. Since she can walk w/a walker, at least she has the capability of using the toilet to cath into, that makes it a thousand times easier. If/when she's ready to deal w/cathing herself and wants to talk to someone who's been through it, feel free to give me a shout, i'm always here. As far as the other things, they too are little things. shoelaces? if she's that concerned about it, she can always get the ones that you don't need to tie. Or go w/shoes that don't have them. Gum??? MY GOODNESS??? Wasn't that a matter of convenience? I still ask someone who's nearer to something to hand it to me so that I don't have to get up to get it.....that isn't b/c of my injury.....that's b/c of mere simplicity....laziness? if you want....I think the dr was out of line, as you can probably see....Sorry I've gone on so much. I think Sarah has done wonderful, she's come such a long way & I'm so glad to see that she's continuing to improve. What a great report you've given. Thanks for sharing with us.
                            'Chelle
                            L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Still my inspiration

Awesome....jus awesome . Ever since you showed that video of her using a walker at PW,she has been my goal-setter(ifshe can do,then daggonit,so can I !) I'm a T 7&8 inc,and if I remember,I think she was a T-4 inc. So,if she can walk with a walker so should I. I have been feverishly working in rehab to try and get these legs to catch up with her. Every time the therapists get the walker out,I envision how she did it. One day I'm gonna get there. Thank you for sharing her progress with us. Keep posting, so I know what my new goal will be..Take care,John

Comment

Yes, you can!

Originally posted by graybeard
                                Awesome....jus awesome . Ever since you showed that video of her using a walker at PW,she has been my goal-setter(ifshe can do,then daggonit,so can I !) I'm a T 7&8 inc,and if I remember,I think she was a T-4 inc. So,if she can walk with a walker so should I. I have been feverishly working in rehab to try and get these legs to catch up with her. Every time the therapists get the walker out,I envision how she did it. One day I'm gonna get there. Thank you for sharing her progress with us. Keep posting, so I know what my new goal will be..Take care,John
                                John, thanks for the wonderful post. I firmly believe you will meet your goals!

Sarah is actually a T5 incl. We're trying to reduce her med intake to see if it will help with her control in her legs. She currently takes 30 mg baclofen, 600 mg neurotin. But are having a hard time getting lower due to left foot burning when ever we try to adjust lower. Probably just need to sit tight for a while, though we are currently just working on reducing the baclofen down by 10 mg per month.
                                Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X