No announcement yet.

How many people are "walking quads"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.5 months post, asia D, injury below C4 (I believe that's how my rehab Dr. explained it). Walking unassisted (no gear). I was able to ditch my AFO, forearm crutches, and cane.

Well, I still keep the cane in the back seat of the car just in case ... left leg still fatigues easier.

Comment

I went from total parlaysis to walking with a cane in approximately 9 months.
      It was not easy and 5 1/2 years post it still isnt easy. I say total paralysis, I could move my arms but had to learn to use them. Could not push button to call for a nurse etc. All strength was gone. Makes me have more respect for a baby learning to walk. Definately hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by rhyang
        5.5 months post, asia D, injury below C4 (I believe that's how my rehab Dr. explained it). Walking unassisted (no gear). I was able to ditch my AFO, forearm crutches, and cane.

Well, I still keep the cane in the back seat of the car just in case ... left leg still fatigues easier.
        you finally ditched the cane? congrats!!!

you've recovered at the same pace as kevin everett, without NFL dollars, and facilities. jeez man, thats impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by Imight
          you finally ditched the cane? congrats!!!

you've recovered at the same pace as kevin everett, without NFL dollars, and facilities. jeez man, thats impressive!
          Thanks !! I actually haven't used the cane for about 6 weeks or so .. I did carry it around a lot though (as opposed to actually using it for walking). And anyway I've just had good luck ...

Keep up the good fight my friend - imo you should change your username to IWILL

Comment

Cervical stenosis with myelopathy, C 4-5-6 and a blown disc at L 4 DDD, I'm eighteen months post surgery for my neck, posterier bone fusion.

I was unaware of any neck injury and it took almost two and a half years to get a diagnosis (no health insurance). I had lost quite a bit of function and was about ready for a full time wheel chair. I had been using a cane and still do. I was walking "better" probably a month after surgery.

I was'nt able to do PT or get any other kind of help because of the lack of insurance. I try to do what I can at home and know it's not enough. I still have issues with balance, my right side is worse than the left, B&B, and nasty burning and pain 24/7. I have had more of the burning and pain post surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
              at the time of the poll, I left the definition of walking and "incomplete" to the person answering the poll. In retrospect, I probably should have emphasized the ASIA (American Spinal Injury Association) definition of "incomplete", i.e. presence of anal sensation and voluntary anal sphincter contraction.
              I don't get those definitions. I never had a voluntary anal sphincter contraction, but I was able to stand and ambulate with a walker within months of my initial injury. I could even drive without hand controls and had quite a bit of sensation. Clearly I was "incomplete" so that ASIA scale just doesn't make sense to me.

C.

Comment

Don't worry about the ASIA thing but it is helpfu for certain things and meant t be a quick way of describing someones functioning but since everyone is different it is what it is. Also used in research studies and to report advances etc..
                Also you have to realize the ASIA can change.And should be done by someone who has been trained and is going to take the time to do it correctly.

You might have started out as an ASIA A r B but certainly aren't any more.

Also I have noticed I get pts that are ASIA C- I expect certain things from them and then I note in my eval they have very very weak movement and when I ask, they tell me they don't exercise the muscle(s) or use them any more -and they have weakened and just plain don't use them like they did in rehab and right after discharge (and these same people are not quite as independent in ADLs as they could be or once were and they admit just stopped doing this or that) .
                So... the ASIA is a nice tool, can be hepful, but does not specifically describe everyone and it can change.

There is a term used in the ASIA- caled '"PP"- zone of partial preservation- those are the little areas where you can feel or maybe move a muscle move but it doesn't meet the criteria to change the ASIA score.

The scoring can be a litte complicated.

CWO
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Walking after three weeks

I am a C5 incomplete and started walking about three weeks after my injury. My condition continued to improve for about two years and then stabilized at that level. About the time I stabilized re: muscle function I developed severe neuropathic pain which has continued to worsen up to now, eight years later. I exercise regularly, three to four times weekly using an eliptical workout machine, bicycle, and weight machines. I also do stretching exercises daily. I believe that my exercise regimen has helped maintain my condition.
                  mike

Comment

C5/6 incomplete walking with afo on left using a walker/crutches. i try to park my w/c and mostly walk throughout the day. still working on strengthening core muscles to maintain trunk control and balance. i'm 4 yrs post injury and a 55y/o fe. hopefully i can continue to make gains in spite of my age. i too have severe neuropathic pain....but like you mike i exercise and walk every day. it doesn't make the pain go away, but i figure i will have the pain with or without the exercise so why not move around as much as i can.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                      I don't get those definitions. I never had a voluntary anal sphincter contraction, but I was able to stand and ambulate with a walker within months of my initial injury. I could even drive without hand controls and had quite a bit of sensation. Clearly I was "incomplete" so that ASIA scale just doesn't make sense to me.
                      You don't have to have voluntary anal sphincter contraction to be considered incomplete, but you do have to have anal sphincter SENSATION to be considered an ASIA B. I know a lot of people with ASIA B, C and D injuries (all incomplete) who don't have anal sphincter control.

ASIA D does mean that you have more than half your key muscles below the level of your injury which have a grade 3 or more voluntary muscle score, and you need a 3 or more for the muscle to be functional for use. It is this group that are often called "walking quads".

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Fractured T5,T12, and burst L1 with a significant fracture to L2.

I am walking without any assistance with my date of injury being Oct. 12th 2007.

I had a fusion done randing from T11-L3.

Comment

How do i know what asia am i? Is asia b good. I have sensation all over.dont sweat below my shoulders and no heat sensation below my shoulders. I can feel when my bladder is full although i leak sometimes.I have feeling in my anus.No movement in my hands. Left arm stronger than right. My hips feels like its getting stronger. Can move my legs with my hips in swiming pool,but not able to stand on it......

Comment

What is my chances

Comment

Ask your physiatrist if your ASIA category has changed. If you have weak movement below your level of injury you may now be an ASIA C. Generally though you would need to be an ASIA D in order to walk, since it generally requires that you have the majority of your key muscles below the level of your injury to have a motor score of 3 or better.

Meanwhile, you are still newly injured. Keep up the pool therapy, and get regular check-ups with your physiatrist so they can help to monitor the return you are getting.

(KLD)

Comment

incomplete

3 years walking not ease bout i am still walking c7 t8 w/cyst t3t6 roy

[i wont give up]

Comment

Working...
                                X