This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Namaste

Praise to you for being there to help us sitting in the dark and hoping, praying for some light. My 24 y/o nephew very recently suffered a C2 complete injury and is now vent dependent and my sister (his mom) and her husband and family are more than overwhelmed. They are so on their own and I am TRYING to help, but don't know how? He was discharged from ICU in Ventura (very caring wonderful staff in there) to a supposedly great rehab center near LA. But that center is filled with attitudes of gloom for him and insist that my sis and b-i-law take him home in their car!!!! She took all their classes, which they claim she passed and should be ready to care for him at home. This is an absolute impossibility with no way to get him there, no bed, no VENT, no wheelchair, no doctor, no home health aides, etc. She has had to stop working to be down there round the clock and wants to care for him; they're just nowhere near ready or able. The accident happened two months ago. Does anyone have any advice for how long it takes for someone to be able to come home? And how to set that all up? The current hospital provides NO discharge plan, no assitance in finding a medical team or home equipment or anything. Thankfully he has been equipped (by the kindness of a stranger) with a computer and a puffer-mouse and is already online! But this current hospital is supposed to be a rehab center yet they refuse to give him any kind of physical therapy because he is a 'C2 complete'. Does anyone have any advice? I'll be heading home soon (Seattle) but I can continue trying to find help long distance, or else connect her to this site. And actually, my nephew can join here if this would be a good place for him to communicate. thanks again for all everyone does here and I look forward to hearing from some of you soon.
    My prayers are with you all.
    - Mary

Comment

What is this "great" rehab center?? Does not sound very great to me. Doesn't sound like Rancho Los Amigos, which would be my first choice in So. Cal. Craig in Denver or Santa Clara Valley in San Jose would have been better. Is he uninsured??

The average rehab hospitalization for someone with a cervical injury, even ventilator dependent, is 6-8 weeks now days.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Brown Sequard Syndrome

Dear SCI Nurse,

Do you have any information about Brown Sequard Syndrome?? Prognosis? Forums? Success rates ??

Comment

Working...
        X