Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree it is devastating. And where to start? I've searched google with such strings as ... new paraplegic paralysis second story home ... it seems every time we find some hope it is dashed ... financial stuff is incredibly difficult. My daughter ... ugh... I can't tell the story right now... anyway ... driver had no car insurance. It all just hurts.

Comment

TAs Mom, please ask away. We want to help.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

TAs Mom, we welcome you and share your pain. I am also a mom and let me tell you this whole thing really sucks! This is a great site and you will get lots of help, info, and support. Don't be afraid to ask, vent, and cry - we have all been there!

Comment

hi also a resent sci family retired long year but hoping for better days c2-c3 injury

Comment

Hi T-7, 2 months post and just regained bladder function, no control, but i'm still intermittently cathiterizing myself with very little return but the rehab doc's been gone for a few days now and i was just wondering about a texas/condom cath and if anyone regained control after function.
            "For only the truth which edifies is truth for you."

-Søren Kierkegaard

http://www.myspace.com/zosoninjitsu

Comment

Dustin, please see my response to your question about this on the Care forum.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hi All! C6 C7 was told initially I would be paralyzed from my neck down, I would be long term health care, I would be on a respirator, and I would never regain anything. I breath on my own, I have the use of both arms, I get new sensation all the time, but ya, my poor husband has taken on the roll of caregiver. I'm not sure why I'm so blessed, but I KNOW I will walk again! Love & Light to all Analee
                When we're down to nothing, God's up to something!
                Love & Light to all

Comment

Thanks Dr. Young! That was beautifully written. Spinal cord injury is rough. It's a lot of maintence and can sometimes be very frustrating. I like how we can support one another on here. I think that really helps with the healing process even if you have had your injury for awhile. I am a t6-t8 incomplete para. I was in a car accident 7 yrs ago. My friend was driving, and we swerved and hit a tree on his side. He only sustained a sprain wrist. If anyone would like to talk, please feel free to PM me.
                  - Jess

Comment

I dont know what to do!

Like many, I am new to this subject.

My dad has been suffering from lower back pain most of his life due to what he considered "normal aging". Six months ago, his pain levels increased significantly and finally led to hospitalization twice in the last month. When he entered, they couldn't figure out what the problem was, but knew that he had some kind of systemic infection. Upon his second visit to the hospital, they did an MRI and learned that he has a spinal abcess (the technical term he used started with an N, but I dont remember what it was). The doctors told him that he needed emergency surgery and were to move him to another Level 1 Trauma hospital that night. Unbeknownst to me, he went AMA that night and went home. This has been about a month ago. In the last 3 months I have seen my dad go from a strapping 230 lbs to a mere 160 and its scaring me. He is not keeping most food down, can barely walk, etc...

He is telling me now that his doctor is telling him that if he doesnt have this surgery, he is going to die. He also apparently told him that the surgery has a limited chance for success and that it could paralyze or kill him. He has made up his mind that he will not be having surgery. He "doesnt want to be cut up just to die on a table" kind of thing. While I don't agree with this, it is absolutely his decision. My dad is prone to exageration, but also downplays things to try not to worry me so I dont know for sure what were looking at. I know that the abcess is for real. and that the systemic infection is in the bone. Theyre apparently going to install a pik line for antibiotics and he will see an infectious diseases doctor this week.

If he doesn't have surgery, what can he/we expect? From the reading ive done on this site, it appears that the deterioration in health can go fast or slow and I really dont want him to suffer. Knowing my father as I do, I could see him just taking massive amounts of pain killers and trying to wait out death/or even possibly considering suicide if it gets too horrible.

I know no one can tell me how long the "downhill" process is, but any thoughts you have would be absolutely appreciated!

Thanks to all in advance!

Comment

Hi all
                      My brother in law sustained a c4-c5 injury at the end of January. He has made great progress and came out of ICU after about five weeks, trach removed and now breathing fine on his own. He has weak movement in his left arm at the moment and none in his right but we hope the physio and occupational therapy will help him to build strength and regain some function. We are based in Ireland and have been over and back a few times. We saw him out in a wheelchair for the first time last weekend and it was great to see him upright although it seems to be uncomfortable for his back.
                      This is a fantastic forum with brilliant support and I am hoping to be able to pass the ideas and hope back to my brother-in-law.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsjunkie
                        Hi all
                        My brother in law sustained a c4-c5 injury at the end of January. He has made great progress and came out of ICU after about five weeks, trach removed and now breathing fine on his own. He has weak movement in his left arm at the moment and none in his right but we hope the physio and occupational therapy will help him to build strength and regain some function. We are based in Ireland and have been over and back a few times. We saw him out in a wheelchair for the first time last weekend and it was great to see him upright although it seems to be uncomfortable for his back.
                        This is a fantastic forum with brilliant support and I am hoping to be able to pass the ideas and hope back to my brother-in-law.
                        I answered in /forum/showthread.php?p=818559#post818559

Comment

New SCI from Hong Kong

Hi Dr. Wise,

I am very pleased to be able to seek information from this channel at this helpless moment. My 29-year-old sister got a car accident while travelling Scotland on March 24th. She was severe injured and was just out of ICU few days ago. Doctor says that she gets spinal cord fracture in C4-C5 and broken spinal cord from C6-C7. She has undergone several operations for internal bleeding, broken leg, chest ribs and neck since then. And she will has another one for her front neck so as to allow herself to sit up as soon as possible. However, doctor here says given today's medical resouces / technologies now, my sister will not be able to walk again. My parents, sisters and my sister's friends who have flown to Scotland from Hong Kong after the accident, were shattered apart after hearing the bad news.
                          Dr. Wise, could you please advise how we can do next? Is my sister really hopeless even in the future according to what doctor said? We understand that my sister can't leave Scotland until she has no problem breathing her own. And our plan is seeking doctors in China and Hong Kong, actually wherever are possible for treatment. Is there any doctor who has started stem cell transplant in Asia?
                          Thanks for your taking time for us.

Candy Kwok
                          email: candy.kwok@pmp.com.hk

Comment

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've been on this board...over 2 years as a matter of fact. I was browsing on the web tonight and came across this site. It was like going back in time for me, beyond two years ago to a time where I was so uncertain about my future as a quad (or tetra for you 'pc' folks!).

I decided to check it out again and read this post of the man who was told by his doctors that this was it, no more recovery, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc...

I had initially found Dr. Wise on the web so many years ago, when my fear of what the future held was nearly overwhelming...like so many of us, I was a very physically fit woman, strong and independent. 11+ years ago, I suffered a sci that changed my world, and as a c6-7, I became completely dependent on others for my most basic needs. What a trip that was, and I suffered from humiliation, rage, extreme vulnerability, depression at times, but it was all overshadowed by FEAR! My family shielded me from the worst news, and I later learned that the barriers posed could have been so great that the nursing home option HAD been tossed out there for consideration. My family became my shield, as I said, protecting my vulnerable mental state, which allowed me time to absorb all the stuff swirling around me, the doctor's diagnosis, and more importantly, the prognosis! I heard the same crap (pardon the slang but that's what it was!), and was even told that I better start dealing with reality and understand that I was never going to move from the neck down; that this was it...once I stopped crying, I got ticked and then became determined to not allow those words to define me or my abilities.

So my long-winded reply to your post is to please tell your brother in law:
                            Do not allow others to tell you what you will become, what you will achieve...be your own advocate, your own champion! I'm not saying that you will succeed in your journey to a recovery or that you will or will not walk again. I am simply stating that if you want to try, try!

Newly injured folks are bombarded with all kinds of medical info, and learn that there is this whole community that makes you feel like a visitor to a strange land...it will take time to get a handle on this, but you will. You will become acutely tuned in to you, and after awhile, talking about you will bore you! Yet, you must become knowledgeable, you must tap into the hope that you can regain function and just simply try. It will take time and is trial and error. It's hard, no doubt, but so worth it! Acceptance of the status quo in sci's leaves one stagnant, and that is a terrible fate. I'd rather go out swinging, you know?

Dr. Wise, about 9 years ago, I had emailed you about recovering function and using exercise/repetitive motion. Your reply gave me the green light that I had been searching for and I found it very motivational. To paraphrase, you told me that the two year window of recovery was not definite, that all sci's were unique and that exercising and using repetitive motion had been successful in returning function in lab studies using rats. You did not dampen my hope like all the other professionals, and I am grateful to you for that.

While I may not be walking (yet!), I have made so many gains physically and mentally that the w/c is no longer an albatross...I don't seek out sci websites exclusively or anything like that. I work and live like everyone else, and every once in awhile, I come back and visit, occasionally throwing my two cents in.

To all newly acquired sci's, hang in there and just keep moving forward. Your mind will catch up with your new reality and you will be ok if you fortify it with positive, healthy thoughts.

One last thing...if you do not agree with a professional, a doctor, a therapist, an orthotic (sp?) dude, and even your w/c and seating person, speak up! I learned the hard way to say NO, and it cost me two surgeries and lots of bedrest about 6 years ago. I wish someone had told me it was ok to question/disagree with them if I felt they were wrong...they were as it turned out.

Comment

Hello everyone!!!,I'm new around here as my close friend has been recently shot in the neck by accident w/a 40 caliber,his c4 and c5 have compression fractures and he has been paralyized below the shoulders since the accident about 5 1/2 weeks ago.he's in a nursing facility and is not getting the proper SCI rehab IMO,basically NONE!!!!,What can I do ??????he has parents and they seem overwlemed and don't know what to do(they're the ones who chose to put him where he is now)I gave them a bunch of info from the reeves foundation and there not being very proactive IMO,anyone have any suggestions where to start he has no insurance~thanks abunch~Paul

Comment

Paul, you should probably continue to post on your previous thread as it will get more attention.

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121578

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
                                X