Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking friends for my son

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure where to post this message so moderator may move my post if this place is not correct.

My son, Martin, was in an accident in april 2009, two weeks before his 15th birthday (he's now age 21). He fell of a dirt bike the first time trying with the result of hitting his head into a concrete element. Martin got a fracture on his cranium resulting a brain injury along side paralyzing breaks in is neck (he's classified C2).

Because of his head injury he's very limited because of pain, pain seizures and stress with sounds and movement. In addition he struggles with short term memory. He's complex situation is making him bound to his bed only getting out for care or very short time in his chair. I'll share more details if necessary.

We've provided Martin with a special computer setup that makes it possible for him to have some contact (e.g. special screen not triggering to much pain and seizures).

I'm lokking for stable and patient people (maybe in similar situation) that can chat or email with him on a regular basis. This will make his days more valuable and will for sure enrich his life quality.

I hope for a positive response.

Kjersti

PS! We live in Oslo, Norway.

I write this in Norwegian since it is not important for the other members here.

Jeg hadde nok lagt inn et innlegg p? LARS facebookgruppe. Mange leser denne siden. Jeg regner med at han er medlem av LARS, Landsforeningen for ryggmargskadde. Ellers s? finnes det en gruppe for rullestolbrukere som heter positiv rullende og en svensk facebookgruppe som heter Vi som har enn ryggm?rgskade hvor han kan finne andre i sin egen situasjon. Samboer og jeg er to paraplegikere som bor i Oslo og begge er medlem av b?de LARS og facebookgruppa deres,
    TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Bente, I'm adding the translation-

I had enough placed the cross trades LARS facebook group. Many reading this page. I assume he is a member of LARS, the National Association for the spinal cord injured. Otherwise, s? there are a group of wheelchair users called positive rolling and a Swedish facebook group called We who have than ryggm? rgskade where he can find others in their situation. Spouse and I are two paraplegics who live in Oslo and both are members of b? The LARS and facebook their group,

Comment

Takk s? mye for svar. Hyggelig at det er andre norske som skriver her. Martin har dessverre ikke en Facebook-konto. F?r ulykken fikk han ikke lov av oss og n? ?nsker han det ikke selv. Han er veldig passiv og innesluttet, dessverre (vi savner hans glade og sprudlende tilstedev?relse). Mitt h?p er at om han har dialog med noen som har han p? distanse og som ikke kjenner han s? kan han ?pne og by p? seg selv litt mer. Derfor pr?ver jeg ? s?ke i andre fora etter noen som kan ha kontakt med han.

English:
        Thanks for your answer. It's very nice that fellow Norwegians write in this forum. Martin doesn't have a Facebook account. Before the accident we didn't allow him to, and now he refuse to create one. He's very passive and withdrawn (we miss his happy and cheerful presence). My hope is that if he communicate with someone who he has on distance, it's easier for him to open up and share his thoughts. That's why I try to find people that may connect with him outside Norway.

Kjersti

Comment

Er han noen gang p? Catosenteret? Samboeren min er likemann der og kan kanskje hjelpe hvis han f?r ham i tale. Akkurat n? er vi i Spania p? langtidsferie s? han har fri og jeg aner ikke neste gang han skal p? jobb.
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Some resources for brain injury support:

http://www.biausa.org/
            http://www.braininjurynetwork.org/
            https://www.facebook.com/brain.injur...mmunity?_rdr=p
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/brai...ort.community/
            http://www.braininjurynetwork.org/th...rysupport.html
            http://www.graymatters4u.com/

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you for valuable links, I'll check them.

Do you think Martin will benefit making an account/user on this website? Like you explained, I don't think Martin would find someone that match his injury on this forum, but maybe someone that understand his situation might be interested in messaging with him?

Kjersti

Comment

Does he understand English? I can be an email pal ...
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Hello lynnifer.
                  Thank you for wanting to have a dialog with Martin. Yes, he understand English very well (he learned that from 2nd grade). He uses a on-screen keyboard that list available words based on the letters he have written, also in English (Martin can't speak so speech software cannot be used). I'll send you a private message with more information.

Kjersti

Comment

I am having some doubts that this person is real. Word to the wise.
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                      I am having some doubts that this person is real. Word to the wise.
                      actually lynnifer, she is. Not my place to say much. Her son is not doing well. I've been talking with him until recently. Both seem to be fantastic people in a really rough situation.
                      Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Comment

Yes, she has contacted many on this board with the same story ... red flags were going off for me.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                          Yes, she has contacted many on this board with the same story ... red flags were going off for me.
                          It's understandable. A new member, 5 posts, etc. I saw a thread on Apparalized about fake members. Not sure what the appeal could be. But, understand your skepticism.

Kjersti and Martin seem great. Think she's just a really busy mom trying to balance a lot. If you pray, they could use some.
                          Last edited by jeft; 8 Jan 2016, 12:18 AM.
                          Jason

Comment

I've been around a long time here .. we've had several. I'm not certain ... but the 'sudden' downturn of health .. asked for photo, not received ... on Skype, apparently, 24/7 ... Merry Xmas emails when your kid is very ill ... brain damage but speaks english ... PM'ing several members here. IP checks out apparently, but that could be proxy. At least 3 of us are suspicious.

Comment

I understand your suspicions. I'm new too and could be a freak. However, these two are good. I've been chatting with Martin at all hours. Not really my place to discuss details but want her left alone. She may reach out again and don't want her reading bad stuff or treated rough.

Martin sleeps no more than 2 hours at a time because he's getting suctioned for what started as a chest cold. For the past two weeks, he's been in ICU. For the past 10 days, he's been in a medically forced coma. He's likely dying right now.

Ive gotten kind of attached to Martin. He's a really good young man. So, I'm going to be kind of defensive. These are great people in a shit situation. Please leave them alone.
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X