No announcement yet.

New SCI for Young Marine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kld which is why i said research would need to be done.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Originally posted by CJTMarineDad View Post
      Latest info is that my son will be transferred to the VA SCI center in San Diego, at least initially. The Marine Corps is working to get my son transferred to the Wounded Warrior Battalion - East. Then, we can work with them to get him transferred back to teh East Coast where he has lots of family and friends who love him and can provide teh emotional support needed.
      Sorry to hear about your son, but great to hear he's headed for the VA SCI unit. I have buddies who were injured while on active duty and the VA was a pain in terms of paperwork, but an awesome rehab program for them. They're still involved with VA and wounded warrior groups and get to do really cool stuff with a tight group of buddies who have been through similar things. It's a good place for your son. My rehab was at Craig, so I'm not personally familiar with the VA SCI system.

Was your son stationed in SD? Or just there briefly? I moved from the NY area to SoCal a few years back. There are pros and cons, but I gotta say the weather, accessibility, etc are better out here in Cali.

Comment

It will be different because they consider him "active" duty and has to have"orders" where he goes. The 24 SCI centers in the VA are highly specialized. Even if he goes to a civilian rehab like Shepherd or TIRR or wherever they will only keep him a short amount of time, he can then go to a VA SCI center if he needs to finish his rehabilitation.- and won't be in a hurry to get him out and hopefully he can choose where he goes or close to home. Then he may go back to an army area hospital, near an SCI center and they kind of share his care because he is still active duty for while. I just had a tetraplegic pt. do this- it was the strangest thing to me!
        CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

PRESSURE SORES!!!!!! WATCH OUT FOR PRESSURE SORES!!!! Show him pics, videos or whatever it takes. Other than that, for me anyway, the support and being told by family and loved ones that life goes on, just a lil different now was all the difference. Go at his pace. You cannot force anything upon anyone that is not ready to hear what you have to say. I am almost 4 years into my injury and the difference between now and 6 months post mentally is a world of difference. Just be there for him. I am a prior service member from the Army, combat medic. PM me if he would be interested in talking with someone with similar background and I will give you my phone number.

Comment

Working...
          X