Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get my dad transported to his home state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The LTAC wants him to go to SNF? or what? Not sure why they would say that. You need to find one with a ventilator and rehabilitation program. Acute rehabilitation like Shepherd requires 3 hours of therapy-total- a day. Medicare requires this also. They do have a special vent program but they have a waiting list and prioritize admissions. They look at many factors and age and average length of life. I have never known them to take an 80 year old.
    But don't give up hope- just keep looking and you will find a good place close to his home.
    CWO
    For clarification purposes - The LTAC accepted him and he was ready for transport to Georgia. They were going to provide rehab services there. Medicare decided they would not pay for any rehabilitation. They want him in a SNF.

Comment

Which means they will pay for NO REHAB services as they think because of his age and medical condition that he cannot handle the 3 hours of therapy a day. Is there a way they can do a trial at the hospital say for a week to show medicare that he can handle this. This may help get him admitted for rehab services. Keep pushing talk with the therapists there as well as the case manager as well. Also as HLH has said he needs to be turned at least every 2 hours not 4
      T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Great news! My dad has made it back to Georgia from Connecticut. He was transported via air ambulance to a rehabilitation center. The encouragement and advice of the members in this forum really gave my mom, myself, and my siblings the strength and focus that we needed to get through it all. He is not at Shepherd, but we are in communication with them about future prospects. Thank you all so much. To God be the glory.

Comment

Wonderful to hear!
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Great news ! Have the doctor at his current Rehab. Center communicate and send records to Shepherd when he's ready for the next level.

Comment

I love to hear good news of perseverance and success! Good on ya (all)...
              Don - Grad Student Emeritus
              T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

This is great news. Well done. You and your family are doing a really fantastic job.

Never give up. Keep pushing. And tell you Dad - "You can do it!"

Comment

What a great relief this is for all of you.

Hope you stay with us through the hard work all of you have before you. There is a lot of support and knowledge here.

Never said with more heart felt wishes,
                  All the best,
                  GJ

Comment

Great to hear your perseverence has paid off. All that aside, let's look at the financial side of this ! Quote; "On August 29th of this year my parents were involved in a car accident while visiting friends and family in Connecticut. My dad went to ICU at a hospital there". All States have specific Motor Vehicle laws, Because your Dad has Medicare it has NO influence on the Motor Vehicle Insurance compliance laws. Just as every persons personal covers the initial expenses and guarantees doctor and hospital payment, that Insurance company goes to the "party at fault's" Insurance for recompensation.

There is no reason that Medicare, or Medicade has any say in how your Father is medically treated, by whom, or where he is requested to be sent. That is an Insurance Company's responsibility, do not allow this company off the hook. Even if your Dad is/was found to be the guilty party for the accident,"HE" paid a premium for insurance coverage. Have your "Lawyer" send a demand for the Police Report immediately (if this has not been received as stated) If they cannot or will not send you a report that was filed in chronological sequenced order have your lawyer sue them for incompetence. They are obligated to send you that report within a certain time (by their own laws).

Let Medicare know you will seek recompensation for the expenses they paid, if the Hospital and doctors supply you with proper sequentially billed orders.

I know this sounds foolish, but Medicare should have no obligation to "PAY" for any of this. Therefore they should advocate for you and your Dad. This "accident" took away his previous good health, and placed his very life in Jeopardy. And it is likely his life will never be the same again, age having nothing to do with this.

I other words his Motor Vehicle accident should be handled just as anyone else's in similar circumstances. Get the best legal representaton you can even if it takes two one in Conn. and one in GA. I am surprised no one else jumped on this. Your Dad will require living assistance for the rest of his life, this is the job of Insurance that has been paid to provide to their insured.

Comment

Keep us posted on your Dad's progress. So good to hear about him making it home to Georgia.
                      pbr
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you all for the invaluable information and continuous encouragement that you provided to myself and my family. After a seven (7) month journey with quadriplegia, Daddy left this world to be with Our Lord. I am so much stronger and wiser because of this journey. My dad left so many wonderful memories with all who knew him. His life, especially the last 7 months, was not in vain. God bless and keep you all safe in His arms.

Comment

So sorry for your loss Elegrier

Comment

Very sorry for your loss.
                            Condolences to you and your family.

Comment

Very sorry for your loss.
                              You were his advocate and protector.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your great loss.

Thank you for everything you and your family did for your father.

Sending you strength, and wishing peace for your family.

Comment

Working...
                                X