No announcement yet.

Husband's Recent L5-S1 Disc Rupture causing Cauda Equinas Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, he has in about the last two to three weeks started to have an electrical shock type of sensation in various areas--his left heal, his lower back, and most recently his left testicle. He compares it to being mildly electrocuted (like what you would feel if you touched a low voltage electric fence). He says that it doesn't hurt but it is slightly uncomfortable and he generally stops whatever it is that he is doing. Is this the nerve pain that most CES patients experience or is that a constant sensation? Could this be his nerves attempting to regenerate/reconnect? Most of his numbness is to the left side as his original herniation caused sciatica on the left side before the rupture.

Comment

Yes, an electrocution type sensation/pain is classic of neuro pain.
      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Thanks, Lin. That is what I figured and so did he but his doctor started him on Lyrica a few weeks post-surgery and he was never really given an opportunity to feel nerve pain without medication as he didn't have much at that point.

He had his first PT appointment and he feels optimistic that it will help. The therapist worked on trying to get him to use the proper muscles when trying to go to the bathroom and he quickly realized after biofeedback therapy that he wasn't using the right ones at all--mainly because he can't feel like he used to be able to down/inside there. He was starting to get depressed as he had gained 10 lbs and felt frustrated. This has given him his drive back that he can get better. I am excited for him and hope he sees improvements.

Comment

If he truely has CES, electrical stimulation will not help with a flaccid (paralyzed) anal sphincter. He really needs to learn how to manage a neurogenic, lower motor neuron (LMN) bowel.

Here is a good booklet for you both to read. Most likely he needs to keep his stool very firm (avoiding too many laxatives or stool softeners) and then manually evacuate his stool at least once daily. Many people find the they will be better able to prevent bowel accidents when straining (valsalva) during exercise or mobility activities if they do bowel care after each meal.

http://www.pva.org/atf/cf/%7BCA2A0FF...ic%20bowel.pdf

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
          X