No announcement yet.

negativity from doctors about recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so now u know, dont look towards the dr's for more than what they can provide. you have family and friends for that type of support. your still new to all this. your going to encounter good and bad dr's/therapists/nurses whatever.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

lol...its funny i couldnt log in to cure care for a few days, it kept crashing. I thought, thats it ive done it now, theyve kicked my ass out, because of the above rant. Looking at it now its not that bad actually.

musta been my ipad playing up...lol
      "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

I had a hard time logging in for the last few days too!

I found out the original reason for "negativity" from our doctors - she didnt think he was actually moving his left leg. Since the movement isn't huge (he can just move it side to side a little) she thought he was having spasms. She had PT evaluate him and it was determined that he can in fact move his left leg - controlled.

His PT/OT have been fabulous, I can't say a negative thing about them. His original surgeon at UVA Hospital was incredible as well. We're just getting mixed message and cold feelings from his Dr. at rehab. We have another family meeting this week so I plan on (carefully) bringing my feelings up there. They are looking to discharge him the first week of December so that he can begin outpatient... I hear a lot of gains occur in outpatient so I am keeping my fingers crossed and looking forward to it!

Comment

Shan- I am glad to hear that he may be coming home soon. It is a strange transition and may be scary for your husband. At inpatient we are around folks like us 24/7 and everything is accessible. But it is far better to be at home. Do your best to find someone who is experienced with SCI for your outpatient. Like smashms said, this is a marathon not a sprint. Set your own goals and have your therapists help you reach them not the other way around. Start small and build from there.
          Rehab doctors are weird. Mine was anyway. "Mmmm, that's interesting" is all I heard from him. Par for the course.

Comment

smashms, i have to remind myself every day that this recovery is a marathon. It is very encouraging to hear that you are still gaining recovery at 3 years post, I think that's great!

MFlounlacker, he is definitely nervous about coming home. He has gotten quite comfortable with inpatient. I understand how he feels, but I tell him that he can't stay there forever and he'll have to make the transition sooner or later. I can only imagine how nerve racking it must be! I expect quite a bit of frustration from him for a while at home since things aren't as accessible at home as they are in inpatient..

Comment

Shan=I remember thinking on the way home. "Now I have to start to live as a parapalegic". This was a sobering thought. I attacked it with vigor and tried to do as much as I could. Don't get stuck in routines. BandB routines are fine, but activity routines keep you from trying new things. I am praying for you guys!

Comment

So here I am with my daughter waiting for my wife be inspected by the skin doc, the fucking assholes made us, by extension ME wait a whole fuckin hour for the cunt to come down off his golden jewel encrusted throne to dole out magical wisdom about my wife's various sun dots etc. fuck fuck I hate HATE waiting in doctors wait rooms and I'm rarely fucking ill....cunts all of em!
                "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

Working...
                X