No announcement yet.

Fatigue & Vent & Oxygen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will have to experiment with the settings on the Cough-Assist. Does your father have any history of emphysema or other lung disease? If so, then a lower inhalation setting pressure must be used. You should have received a good CD-Rom or DVD training program with your Cough-Assist, but in general, I usually start patients out on about 25 for their inhalation pressure about about 35 for their exhalation pressure, and about 3 seconds for inhalation duration and 2 seconds for exhalation duration, with a pause of about 3-4 seconds. Try that and if he can tolerate this and does not feel too uncomfortable, then try setting both pressures a little higher. The durations should be set for his comfort, but exhalation should always be shorter than inhalation. Do you have a respiratory therapist who can work with you on getting the settings set up properly the first few times?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The RT put my Dad on 40 for both inhalation and exhalation. My Dad wanted it to be higher, so the RT said to use 45 for both.

45 seems to work better. The odd thing was that the secretions came out his trach opening -- twice. Since I never saw this happen at the other facilities where he used it, is this normal?

My Dad was wondering about making it higher, but the RT said that 45 was the max.

I'll ask the RT again.

Comment

Hi Joey,

I describe my settings, how we CoughAssist, why, etc... in an item posted on this page of my website:

http://www.lookmomnohands.net/Life_with_an_SCI.htm

Sorry for the delay replying; was finishing up school, graduating, among other projects, but that's no excuse.
        Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Comment

Working...
        X