Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone lose layer of skin from feet/toes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone lose layer of skin from feet/toes

    I was injured Sept 24, 2011 [T11-T12 incomplete] I started noticing the skin on my feet especially the toes of my left foot which is the numbest stated looking really rough textured i was finally able to reach them and rub them suddenly all the outer skin stated to fall/roll/flake off I kept rubbing until all of the dead skin was gone ended up being quite a pile!! The skin under looks and feels normal i am not putting lotion on them every couple days has anyone else experienced this "snake like event"?

  • #2
    Yes I have. It stopped after awhile. See your from North west Montana. Spent a winter south of Chinook, man thats one cold ass place in the winter. How are you doing with your injury other wise.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

    Comment


    • #3
      My hands were horrible after my injury. My hands were all callused up from working in the oil field. Since those calluses were no longer needed, they sluffed off basically all at once. To speed the process, I would soak my hands in a huge bowl of water and rub my hands together while they were under water. It would turn that bowl of water into a big nasty bowl of skin floaties. My hands would look much better after though. My hands are smoother than my girlfriend's bum cheeks now. Just kidding, I don't have a girlfriend. But you get the idea.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've experienced the same. All the skin on the bottom of my feet peeled off in layers. However, there was good skin underneath and now I have heels as soft as a baby's bottom! Sounds like a normal condition.

        Comment


        • #5
          It happens because we arent moving our feet around sloughing our dead skin off. At SHepherd center they have this page in our care manual with some vinegar recipe to wrap your feet/legs/hands in towels with it and it helps it come off.I never could stand the smell.
          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.


          Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

          Comment


          • #6
            A very common issue. Most of what is coming off is callous, esp. if you were a person who formerly went barefoot a lot. As long as the skin is not raw, and any cracks are not raw, it is nothing to be really concerned about. We have for many years used Abolene Foot Soaks, which is simply Abolene face cream slathered all over the foot, then wrap the foot in a warm moist towel, and put the whole thing inside a plastic bag for 1 hour daily. It will help this crust come off without allowing your skin to crack, which can lead to infections. It generally goes away within a few months post injury.

            (KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

            Comment


            • #7
              Cold as a witches ??

              Originally posted by flying View Post
              Yes I have. It stopped after awhile. See your from North west Montana. Spent a winter south of Chinook, man thats one cold ass place in the winter. How are you doing with your injury other wise.
              We live in the Mission Valley in Montana already have 10in of snow but its melting some today.... I am getting better SLOWLY i cannot believe how long it has been taking to heal one day my legs are on fire the next nothing...

              Comment


              • #8
                Almost barefoot

                Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                A very common issue. Most of what is coming off is callous, esp. if you were a person who formerly went barefoot a lot. As long as the skin is not raw, and any cracks are not raw, it is nothing to be really concerned about. We have for many years used Abolene Foot Soaks, which is simply Abolene face cream slathered all over the foot, then wrap the foot in a warm moist towel, and put the whole thing inside a plastic bag for 1 hour daily. It will help this crust come off without allowing your skin to crack, which can lead to infections. It generally goes away within a few months post injury.

                (KLD)
                Thank you and since summer was just ending i had wore sandals all summer so they were calloused makes sense i never thought about skin being removed from walking etc...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fromnwmont View Post
                  We live in the Mission Valley in Montana already have 10in of snow but its melting some today.... I am getting better SLOWLY i cannot believe how long it has been taking to heal one day my legs are on fire the next nothing...
                  Legs on fire sounds like a skin issue. Feeling on the skin is a little fickle. I'm more into getting back muscles. Can you move your legs at all?
                  T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Moving legs

                    Originally posted by flying View Post
                    Legs on fire sounds like a skin issue. Feeling on the skin is a little fickle. I'm more into getting back muscles. Can you move your legs at all?
                    Unfortunately i also broke my pelvis in two places and did something to my left foot (it swells up if i am upright much x-ray shows no broken bones) at the same time i broke my back so i have been unable to do much in the way of "exercise" BUT i can move my legs although i cannot feel most of my left leg or the quadricep of my right leg but i am not complaining!!! i foresee a very positive recovery someday in the future... I recently regained almost complete control of my bladder etc... even woke up with "morning tork" one day so i feel very fortunate.... I keep trying to be more active but my pelvis and back rebel for two days afterwards so i am impatiently waiting!!!! I feel guilty not doing any kind of exercise!! How are you doing? improving? is that your ultralight? I have always wanted to fly in one when i was 18 i took flying lessons but never got above private license i had dreams of commercial helicopter but there were to many Vietnam pilots with many hours so it was not financially sound...
                    Last edited by fromnwmont; 11-23-2011, 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling errors

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm doing OK thanks for asking. My back bones compressed my nerve 80 percent, so its a long time process. In the last month I've been getting some hamstrings back, they make a large difference in locking ones legs straight. I just sit at home and exercise most of each day. Its starting to pay of in my leg strength. I try not to look forward, but instead focus on how far I've come. Yes thats my light sport plane. Been flying ultralight type planes for 23 years. Try ed to land my other plane on the side of a small mountain, thats how I got injured. So what happened to you?
                      T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bad "landing" too

                        Originally posted by flying View Post
                        I'm doing OK thanks for asking. My back bones compressed my nerve 80 percent, so its a long time process. In the last month I've been getting some hamstrings back, they make a large difference in locking ones legs straight. I just sit at home and exercise most of each day. Its starting to pay of in my leg strength. I try not to look forward, but instead focus on how far I've come. Yes thats my light sport plane. Been flying ultralight type planes for 23 years. Try ed to land my other plane on the side of a small mountain, thats how I got injured. So what happened to you?
                        Perhaps i need to use your logic and focus on how far i have came!! I honestly didnt believe it would be so slow i have had serious injuries in the past (ran over by car) and popped right back although i was much younger.. When people ask i have been telling them those Red Bull commercials are BUNK they do not give you wings!!! I fell thru the roof on the pole shed we were finishing at our house 18feet onto my my left leg butt folded me up like a clam my forehead actually hit the ground and which made me bite my tongue!! didnt know i was that flexable Keep up the positive attitude!!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X