Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before I start feeling like eating again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before I start feeling like eating again?

I was injured in Sept 2011 T11-T12 incomplete,at first i assumed it was the hospital food that made me not want to eat or desire to eat, but i have been home now for over a Month and other then craving a hamburger after seeing it on a commercial i have no desire to eat, no cravings... granted loosing some weight has not been a bad thing for me but i am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if the desire returns?

I didn't have an appetite for months, but now I wish I had a little less.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Comment

SCI alone would not cause this in someone with paraplegia. Loss of appitite is often associated with depression though, so I think you should talk with your primary care provider about an evaluation for this, possible counseling, and possibly medication.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

check meds for "loss of appetite" as a side effect

Comment

It has been almost three years for me and I still have to force myself to eat.

@KLD: I just assumed the because of my injury I don't get hunger pangs.. well because I don't. Is that wrong and do you think something else is going on?

Comment

wow! I cant imagine! I immediately had a appetite after injury even while in NICU but with all the meds I was on, everything i ate tasted terrible.

once I was into rehab, my appetitie came back full force and hasnt let down in over 18 years. sometimes I wish it would a little!

Comment

Hunger is a brain function, primarily based on your brain's monitoring of blood glucose and other chemical levels, and does not come from the stomach or intestines, so loss of sensation is not related to that.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by fromnwmont View Post
                I was injured in Sept 2011 T11-T12 incomplete,at first i assumed it was the hospital food that made me not want to eat or desire to eat, but i have been home now for over a Month and other then craving a hamburger after seeing it on a commercial i have no desire to eat, no cravings... granted loosing some weight has not been a bad thing for me but i am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if the desire returns?
                If you have low blood pressure food can cause your pressure to drop even more. It could cause a loss of appetite.

Comment

A urinary tract infection (UTI) can drastically reduce the appetite.

Comment

My daughter's appetite came back full force after about four months. Since then, she has gained all the weight she lost when she was in rehab....which is good....she was losing too much. Two years later she still loves to eat. I really have to keep track of what she is eating because of she doesn't need to keep gaining. She is a teen and still growing so maybe that is part of it. On the other hand, I see other quads that have no appetite. One guy we know cannot finish a container of yogurt because he gets so full.
                    He doesn't seem depressed but you never know.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses.. I am taking cymbalta for depression/pain and have been ever since my son committed suicide a couple years ago, and although all days are not peaches n cream do not feel depressed i often hear "your attitude thru all this is amazing" I will look into the UTI since i have been having some "voiding" issues and noticed strong color and smell lately...I guess my taste buds are taking some R&R....

Comment

I had a lack of appetite for awhile. But thought that it was from the trauma to the body. Kind of like when someone looks at a gaping cut and loses there appatite. Well it came back after a couple of months
                        T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

i lost my appetite for a few days thats about it, the food at RIC in Chicago wasnt half bad so i ate it
                          also i take no pain meds or anything the only thing i have is a baclofen pump for the spasms it doesn't seem to mess with my appetite

Comment

Could be the meds

Originally posted by larry1975 View Post
                            i lost my appetite for a few days thats about it, the food at RIC in Chicago wasnt half bad so i ate it
                            also i take no pain meds or anything the only thing i have is a baclofen pump for the spasms it doesn't seem to mess with my appetite
                            Perhaps it is the pain meds before my accident i was taking pain meds for peripheral neuropathy but not at the current level, I still have to remind myself to eat I forgot to eat yesterday until my wife got home from work and asked what I had for lunch... although i am in no danger of wasting away I am still 30# over optimal weight for my "height"

Comment

Medications and appetite

I lost my sense of taste post injury. Check your medications. I switched from Gapentin to Lyrica and regained my sense of taste among many other things.

Comment

Working...
                              X