Recent T-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Alexis,
    I have a T11 complete injury and my neurological function is very similar to yours. I am not able to move or feel my legs at all and I have no sensation below the belly button. I can suck in my stomach. I have been injured for more than 20 years. It sucks and some things continue to suck but life does get better.

I enjoyed university too - some of the best years of my life. I had a baby 7 years after my injury.

Bladder - I use intermittent catheterization with a short, plastic catheter that can be used on a toilet - not the red rubber kind where you have to get in bed and use a mirror. I go 5-6 times a day. I also take Ditropan to help stay continent in between and it works very well although it makes my mouth dry. Without Ditropan I leaked a lot and had to get up at least once a night to pee.

Feel free to ask me any questions you want. It does get better.

Comment

i too am a T11 complete just over one year into injury and have all the same issues as you do. i use intermit caths 4 times a day and digital stim for BP. sucking in and out my stomach when i'm at it helps alot too. i have an adapted car which i drive and use a shower chair to wash up. i work full time which makes it hard to balance my needs and work. i am married with an eleven year old daughter. it's hard on us all. Living like this is hell, at least i'll feel at home when i really go there. lately i'm having problems as i tend to wet myself often, i had wearing a pad or nappy during the day. nice to meet people in my situation it's a lonely world i live in.

Comment

Originally posted by ivyanna View Post
        Feel free to ask me any questions you want. It does get better.
        I sent you a private message.

Originally posted by peterf View Post
        it's a lonely world i live in.

It certainly can be. I have yet to meet anyone around my age with the same "issues". Maybe I'm crazy but I don't view anything that happened to me as a disability. I mean we wouldn't go through the things that we do if we couldn't handle them right? This is why I put issues in the quotation. Maybe I'm just an upbeat person or maybe it's the psych and thyroid medications that I've been on since prior to the accident or maybe it's all of it. Either way at least to me I don't view anything as a hindrance. Just for the record, I'm not religious. After all, I am only me.

Comment

I sent some questions to someone if I can't get them answered then I will post them. I'm sorry you lost your post.

Comment

Alexis, where in Ind. are you? My son was injured 4 years ago, he is now a freshman in college and doing great. I am in Indy. Feel free to send me a message and I will try and get you connected with a bunch of local and state resources.

Best wishes.
            Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
            Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
            -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

How have you managed your bladder? I know your on a bowel program.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am on a bowel program and as far as my bladder. I cath every 4 to 6 hours. I set my alarm throughout the day to remind myself.

Comment

Working...
              X