No announcement yet.

Hi all im new here and about 1 year post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jessica, I started college about 9 months post-injury, and because there was a community college only 12 miles away, I decided to do my first 2 years there and then transfer to the University of Massachusetts. Doing the first 2 years at a CC was amazing. The classes were small, and I knew all of my instructors personally. They cut me slack when I couldn't get things done on time, gave me additional time to complete exams if I needed it, and generally made the transition to college life nearly painless. Most CC instructors are teaching there because they are more interested in teaching than playing the academic games like publish or perish, and chasing grants. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask stupid questions - both here and in school
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Comment

Hi Jessica,
      I welcomed you to the site on your thread about wrist braces, but just wanted to chime in here with the others to say Look forward to hearing more from you!!!

All the best,
      GJ

Comment

Welcome Jessica, all best wishes on your rehab and college! Glad you found this forum.
        MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Welcome! You sound positive and that will help you immensely as you go forward. Good for you..........planning for college! We're pulling for you!

Comment

Glad you found us Jessica. There is no other place like CCC.
            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Welcome.

I'm glad you found CC so soon. I wish I would've!

Comment

wow, C4 injured one year and headed to school. That is great. You must have some very supportive people in your life. It is good you have a positive attitude and are looking forward to your future. I know plenty of C5/C6 and lower SCI's that do not carry on with their life in a productive manner due to their perceived lack of hand function or other ego-related issues. There is a Crown Prosecutor (equivalent to District Attorney) in my city that is a C3 quad, no movement at all below the neck. He enrolled and finished law school after his injury and leads an excellent life with the help of his paralegals and personal aides. It is not about what we can't do, it is what we can still do.

Sounds like your head is in the right place. Keep it there. There is a lot to learn (in all aspects of a quads life) and this place is very helpful when it comes to personal care, dealing with caregivers, etc.

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Hi Jessica! Glad you found CCC!! As a mom to a C6/C7 quad....I have learned so much from many here. Great place to come for lots of reasons....to vent, to learn, to cry, and to laugh.

Comment

Hi Jessica,

If I may ask, what school are you going to?

Is Voc Rehab assisting (financially) with your school?

You can likely get their assistance if you haven't already secured it.

I'm a C1-2 who went back (online) to finish my bachelor's at the University of Florida, and I'm starting graduate school (online) at Western Carolina University this fall. I share that to say that there are different ways that someone with an SCI can potentially continue their education if they truly have the desire to do so (e.g. every school should have a Disability Resource Office that can help provide appropriate accommodations to help us be successful).

I wish you much success -- God bless!

Bill Miller
                      Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Comment

Welcome Jess,
                        I am a C5 complete from a car accident on 10-27-2009. This is a great place to get advice and answers. Congrats to you for moving forward.
                        Mary
                        C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

"I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

Comment

as many have already said, welcome! I am a C-4/C-5 complete. You're not alone!
                          www.symbolofstrength.com

Comment

Working...
                          X