Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My brother

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My brother

    Hello there,

    My brother, like me is English and he has recently had a spinal cord injury and is paralysed from the neck down. He is in Largo, Florida with no family support. He is on medicaid and the hospital are wanting to move him out of the rehab centre because he is going to run out of his 'allocation'. Can anybody give me any advice please?

    Just to add, the hospital do not intend to simply throw him out, they are going to place him in a more long-term home, but I would really like him to be able to stay where he is for a while longer because the re-hab facilities are excellent.
    Last edited by Gill Hughes; 04-23-2011, 03:34 AM. Reason: My original message was slightly mis-leading

  • #2
    That's horrible. I hope someone here can help you out.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

    Comment


    • #3
      Contact his local Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Network and Center for Independent Living. They should be able to answer many of your questions and give him some help. Also if he has no place to live after rehab, apply for section 8 housing and SSI/SSDI. They will usually put a disabled person getting out of rehab with no place to live, at the top of the list for section 8.
      Usually medicaid pays for three months of rehab. This work should have been started long ago (months) . I know its hard when you have little to no family help though. Usually they have workers in the rehab hospital to help with this kinda stuff.
      Also, how was he hurt? There may be more funding available depending on that.
      Hope that helps a little.
      Has it been five years yet? ..........

      Comment


      • #4
        The nearest excellent spinal cord injury center is in Atlanta, Georgia. It is The Sheperd Center and is internationally known for the excellence of care provided and the good rehab given to patients. Is there any possibility you could be in touch with them and try to get him moved there?

        Comment


        • #5
          I too suggest contacting the Shepherd Center. If his situation allows it they will send a representative down to evaluate him. When I was there rehabbinh there were several people that were there with no insurance.

          Their website is www.shepherd.org
          L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            I would also strongly recommend contacting the help desk at the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center.

            I am moving this to our New SCI forum. There are more resources there than on this forum.

            (KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

            Comment


            • #7
              Wow. Thank you all for help. It is very much appreciated. I will act on that

              Comment


              • #8
                Sorry, but how do I get to that new forum?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Grange View Post
                  I too suggest contacting the Shepherd Center. If his situation allows it they will send a representative down to evaluate him. When I was there rehabbinh there were several people that were there with no insurance.

                  Their website is www.shepherd.org
                  I have been told that his medicaid does not transfer to a different State. I was told he would have to be on medicare and that would take 2 years to be possible.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Grange View Post
                    I too suggest contacting the Shepherd Center. If his situation allows it they will send a representative down to evaluate him. When I was there rehabbinh there were several people that were there with no insurance.

                    Their website is www.shepherd.org
                    That's interesting. I will contact the Shepherd Centre. I've heard they are great.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rdf View Post
                      That's horrible. I hope someone here can help you out.
                      Thank you

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by barondidit View Post
                        Contact his local Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Network and Center for Independent Living. They should be able to answer many of your questions and give him some help. Also if he has no place to live after rehab, apply for section 8 housing and SSI/SSDI. They will usually put a disabled person getting out of rehab with no place to live, at the top of the list for section 8.
                        Usually medicaid pays for three months of rehab. This work should have been started long ago (months) . I know its hard when you have little to no family help though. Usually they have workers in the rehab hospital to help with this kinda stuff.
                        Also, how was he hurt? There may be more funding available depending on that.
                        Hope that helps a little.
                        His originally injury was 5 years ago when he had brain surgery to stop him from being paralysed. It was never going to be a 'cure' but he was completely functional. However, his condition deteriorated and he was walking with a stick and had the shakes when he fell a couple of months ago and re-injured his old injury. As I said, he is now paralysed from the neck down with C3, C4 and C5 injuries, incomplete.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                          The nearest excellent spinal cord injury center is in Atlanta, Georgia. It is The Sheperd Center and is internationally known for the excellence of care provided and the good rehab given to patients. Is there any possibility you could be in touch with them and try to get him moved there?
                          Thank you, I will try

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This link will help you navigate

                            http://www.shepherd.org/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My brother

                              Thank you

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X