c5 incomplete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

As of 4/28 Dr. wrote in assessment that hubby is now presenting as c7-c8 incomplete with ASIA D. I tried to explain to him that this is a good thing but he doesn’t believe me. Now I am questioning this since the doctors never said anything J . Is this a good thing? . Right now he can walk with horseshoe walker with 1 person helping rather than 3 when he was in outpatient. Yesterday they started him on treadmill but his right knee isn’t that strong. What I keep reminding him is that prior to 2/17/2011 (date of sci) he hurt his knee in aug 2011 in car accident and then in sept while playing basketball. Today at outpatient they are FINALLY going to consider a knee brace. Are these braces expensive and are they helpful? I hope this helps him because he is getting so frustrated. His right hand is gradually getting better due to FES treatment. His left hand and left leg are functioning at 100%. Since he can stand independently we are able to transfer to commode/shower chair in shower and shower nightly. Some days if he feels week I will use gate belt to help him with standing. Only modifications we’ve made to home is ramp @ front door & wider door for bathroom. I’ve adapted to my new schedule although I am usually exhausted. I work 40 hrs a week and I am his primary care giver after work (family helps in the daytime). He still depends on me to assist with holding urinal. Since his hands are now functioning better do you think he could do it himself? Is it mean if I stop helping with this task?

Comment

If he has full use of one hand, he certainly should not need help with any toileting tasks. He can walk to the bathroom and stand at the toilet (do you have grab bars for that) or use a urinal by himself. He may need the OT where he is getting therapy to work with him on clothing management for this one-handed, but many men with SCI or stroke learn to do this all the time.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hi Everyone -- My hubby is 10 months out and is walking with a cane! Insurance ran out but when plan year starts over in Jan he will get more OT. In the interim he works out daily at a local gym. He still gets frustrated because he only has gross motor skills in his right hand so he cant button, etc. Are their any gadgets out their that help with buttoning?

I just want to thank all of you for the words of encouragement and advice that I received over the past 10months. I am buying hubby a lap top for Christmas so yall may get the opportunity to meet him them.

I wish everyone a happy, funfilled & safe Holiday!

Comment

Just saw this thread...I'm also just over 10 mos out. I didn't start with the level of impairment your husband had. Walking q's are all over the board in function and what comes back when.

Tell your hubby to get on the computer. I did cave in and buy dragon software to help with some of the many emails I had to keep up with. I found chat to be really helpful...finding and connecting with people is invaluable!

There are buttoning tools at medical supply houses I think. I use pullovers, I tend to now button and zip with my left hand. I hadn't noticed that little changes in my life cropped up. I do more with my left hand than I did before, but I still do as much as I can with my right. It is important that he continues to work what is giving him issues. cooking (NOT CHOPPING...learned that the hard way) is really good for hand therapy. I am now chopping some, but not like I used to
          CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

Comment

Originally posted by soukeynas View Post
            He still gets frustrated because he only has gross motor skills in his right hand so he cant button, etc. Are their any gadgets out their that help with buttoning?
            He should have been provided this in his initial OT, but there are a variety of different button hooks and zipper pull devices out there. Here are just a few:

http://www.sportaid.com/handicapped-...ok-puller.html

http://www.arthritissupplies.com/sit...roduct/NC28667

http://www.assistivedeviceskey.com/category/891098

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you SCI nurse! When OT ran out they ordered him a dynasplint to wear on his right hand. It seems like they were satisfied withhis hand because he can use thumb and pointer which means he has 60% return. Luckily, insurance paid for dynasplint but I was wondering how beneficial is this brace?

Comment

Originally posted by soukeynas View Post
                Thank you SCI nurse! When OT ran out they ordered him a dynasplint to wear on his right hand. It seems like they were satisfied withhis hand because he can use thumb and pointer which means he has 60% return. Luckily, insurance paid for dynasplint but I was wondering how beneficial is this brace?
                My husband hated that splint & barely used it -- his left hand works but not his right, so things like buttons are still a pain (he's almost 11 years post). He also learned to walk with a cane, tho' it took him a couple of years to do it.

He solved the buttons problem by leaving his shirts buttoned all the time -- puts them and takes them off over his head.

Comment

Working...
                X