new C4 C5 C6 complete quad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new C4 C5 C6 complete quad

hi I was injured on June 12, 2010. My friend's car was hit by a drunk driver and I was the only one hurt in the car. I have a few questions and concerns. I was in ICU on the vent for three weeks and then for three more weeks I was in another facility to wean off the vent. I didn't start rehab until six weeks later and now scared I waited too long. I'm also dealing with a lot of depression because I've lost all my independence. I have very little in my right arm. I am now doing outpatient rehab and nervous that I won't see much return.

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome and sorry you had to find us. Best of luck with your continued recovery.

Comment

Hello! First off, it is wonderful that you are off of the vent. Breathing is something most of us take for granted, along with eating and speaking.
        My husband is a C3 with a trachea and uses a vent at only at night.
        How is your rehab going? Do they specialize in SCI?
        I think feeling depressed right now is normal. Do you have a social or family worker that is working with you now for future plans?
        Hang in there.

Comment

Welcome to the forums. Things will be what they are and no one can predict what the outcome will be. This is a great place to start. Just hang in there... take one day at a time.

Comment

It is never too late! Keep working hard.

Welcome to CCC. Great place!

Comment

It is outrageous that you were denied inpatient rehab at a specialty SCI center. Who made that decision? Are you uninsured? You need both the therapy (which you cannot get enough of as an outpatient) and the inpatient educational and milieu of an acute inpatient rehab center that includes counseling, rehab nursing, education programs, case management, therapeutic recreation, vocational rehab, and other services rarely available in an outpatient therapy program.

Your level of injury is unclear, and I suspect this may be because you have not received appropriate and sufficient education about SCI, or your providers are not sufficiently educated about SCI. You cannot have a C4, C5, C6 injury. Those may be your vertebral fractures, but they cannot be the actual ASIA levels of your neurologic picture. If you have two levels (such as C4/C5) that would indicate that your neurologic level is C4 on the right and C5 on the left, but it can't be 3 levels. I would recommend that you read this article by Dr. Young, and then ask your physiatrist (you do have one, right?) about your actual level of injury.

http:///index.php?page=viewarticle&a...nalLevels.html

Please come back and ask more questions. It is critical that you get better informed about your care needs, as you will need to become the expert and be able to direct your care needs to maintain a high level of wellness and function.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

never give up...........

Comment

Welcome to the forum. In addition to rehab, this is the best place for you to be - best wishes to you.
                  MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Make sure you follow up on what the nurse has written. Whatever facility you went to had their head in the wrong place. Pleae get to a facility which knows what is going on.
                    Good Llluck

Comment

idea rehab for two months at a wonderful facility. I was told that was where my injury occurred. I will try to get a clearer understanding.

Comment

Short Video

You may want to watch this video if you haven't already. It lasts less than 2 minutes. After you click on the link below, click on the picture of the little white mouse in the upper right hand corner of the page.

http://www.geron.com/GRNOPC1Trial/

It is not a matter of "if" but "when" SCI will be cured. In other words, there is a cure for these injuries coming.

Comment

It's not too late. It's early yet and when you get to rehab, just work as hard as you can and learn everything you can. Because of complications, I had 2 1/2 month delay between my SCI and rehab and fared out ok. I'm still improving and am still working hard at rehab on an outpatient basis (plus what I do at home).

Please keep us posted on your situation. Best of luck!

Comment

Hi and welcome to Care Cure Community.
                            Here is a link that has a list (scroll down the page) of the spinal cord rehabilitation centers in the United States recognized by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation.
                            http://www.apparelyzed.com/forums/to...united-states/
                            Hopefully one of these centers is near you and you can make inquiries about programs available to you. As many have said, who responded to your thread, a good rehabilitation program is essential to you success with spinal cord injury and your mental well being as well. If any of us can help you with answers to questions, we'd love to hear from you.

Nurse KLD responded to your about your level of injury. She referred to your ASIA levels of your injury. The medical personal around you may not even know what that means. ASIA refers to the American Spinal Cord Association. At this website, you will find the assessment materials and interpretations that you could use to begin a discussion with your doctor.
                            http://www.scribd.com/doc/26333992/S...ent-Chart-ASIA

All the best,
                            GJ

Comment

Welcome and keep up the hard work ... anything is possible!

- K
                              C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
                              http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135

Comment

Working...
                              X