Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

injured 4 months ago...sux but stayin positive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

injured 4 months ago...sux but stayin positive!

so i was at my bachelorette party on may 23rd 2010 4 weeks before my wedding when my best friend jokingly pushed me in the pool. i went head first becoming a c6 quad. shes having a hard time but i was never angry with her.

my battle has begun

i want so badly to be independent, to look the way i used to, and to party like i used to.
    my insurance has only allowed 20 outpatient visits for therapy. i should qualify for medicaid but i want to get married soo badly to the man of my dreams who has stuck by my side.his high teachers salary (sarcasm) will unqualify me.

i have kept a good attitude and even joined quad rugby. want to handcycle soooo badly and play tennis!
    Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
    www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
    www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Hi there, that sounds like a real rough time but its good you're staying positive. It's also good you've started playing rugby already, keeping active like that is always good, I am just in my second season of sit-skiing and its awesome! having a fun sport to compete in keeps me busy and continues to challenge me. Hope you stick with rugby or tennis and hope you enjoy it, have a good one.

-Matt

Comment

Hi and welcome. I'm new around here also. Been hurt a little over a year. Sounds like you are doing great keep it up and keep active.

Gwill

Comment

Hello! It sounds like you are doing great.
        Good that you have no hard feelings to your friend, some people would.
        I can imagine she feels at fault even if it was an accident.
        A friend was there when my husband fell from a tree nearly 2 years ago and she still somehow feels at fault just for being there. He is a C3.

This is a great place for info. I have read a lot of old threads on care and have learned so much that even the doc has not been able to answer.

Comment

Hello, and welcome. So sorry to hear about your accident, and hope things work out well for you on all fronts. Keep writing to us!

Comment

Hello there. Sounds like you are looking at things in a good way. Keep positive and keep active. This is a great place for information. Welcome.

Matt

Comment

Comment

Welcome

Sorry to have to find us here, but it is a good place to get info or just went.
                Glad that you are making plans, and that you have a positive attitude. Don't look @ the past too much, sometimes it may not be very helpful in moving forward.

Bless
                My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Comment

Welcome. Are you already out of rehab?

Comment

Since the OP says she was injured in May, and the average length of stay in inpatient rehab now days for someone with a tetraplegic injury is only 5 weeks, I would have to assume she has already had any inpatient rehab she will be getting and is now an outpatient.

ECU, not sure if this is consistent with your values, but have you considered, at least for now, living together with your fiance or having a religious-only wedding so that you can still qualify for Medicaid and then later marrying legally when you can get covered under your husband's group health insurance? While teachers don't make a lot of money, they usually have pretty good health insurance, and group plans often have no pre-existing condition clause. It would be worth having him check with his union (if he belongs to a union) or HR department.

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

yes i am in outpatient but i only get to go twice a week.

nurse-i really want to wait until the wedding means im married. i have been waiting a long time to get marrried and im gonna be stubborn. im not going let this injury take away this day from me.

my best friend who pushed me just got engaged and i cant help but have a hard time with that
                      Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
                      www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
                      www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

Hi I am Amit Nice to meet you!
                        I was injured in a motorcycle accident nearly two years ago and I'd love to talk to you or answer your questions
                        I'm very glad you think it is true that a positive approach in my opinion to deal with such a case must go to good and positive way
                        Feel free to contact me and ask
                        I wish you good luck down your path

Comment

Originally posted by ECUrach85 View Post
                          yes i am in outpatient but i only get to go twice a week.

nurse-i really want to wait until the wedding means im married. i have been waiting a long time to get marrried and im gonna be stubborn. im not going let this injury take away this day from me.

my best friend who pushed me just got engaged and i cant help but have a hard time with that
                          The more you get back right now the better you will be!! I deff would have a hard time with the gal who pushed you! Welcome and Congrats of your up-coming marriage.

Comment

ECU -- check and see if your state offers some kind of waiver for traumatic injuries that would allow you to get medicaid.

There will be good days and bad days -- stay strong, we're all here for advice and a place to vent.

Take care.
                            Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                            Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                            -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

Well for heaven's sake ......

Betheny turned me on to Jezebel awhile back and I've been lovin' it ever since ..... and then one day .... what do you know ...... there YOU are sweetie http://urlPass.com/6jg9

Hope you are doing well ! Were you okay with the way they presented your story ?

Obieone
                              ETA - Opps my bad!
                              Gawker is part of the blogging group that includes Jezebel - Rachel's story was done by Gawker not Jez ! The Comments section always makes for pretty interesting reading. I'm still surprised by the things people say !
                              Last edited by Obieone; 18 Nov 2010, 8:50 AM. Reason: Little fix-up and added a question.
                              ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                              Jane Siberry

Comment

Working...
                              X