No announcement yet.

Cauda Equina

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cauda Equina

    I am trying to fin some new/recent info on Cauda Equina on Care Cure, but my searches only turn up old posts that don't seem to help much. I am trying to get some information for a 59 year old man who lives in northern New Jersey. From what I understand he had surgery for disk herniation and now has what his doctor told him is cauda equina. He is able to walk on a limited basis and within his home, but otherwise uses a wheelchair. He is looking for a neurologist who might be more familiar with this condition. Any suggestions? Any other resources I can look up or suggest to him?
    My next goal will be to get him on this site himself.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Cynthia Templeton
    Mom to Darren, C5, July 2004 at age 18
    Push to Walk

  • #2
    I have it. sounds like we have similar abilities too. Jefferson Magee is a good hospital to find a specialist regarding cauda equina and what he may need as far as refurrals. There is a pain Dr, Dr Farrara, who is also a phisiatrist, who works out of there. I found hime to be a great dr, and very helpful in getting me to the right people, and actually understanding my pain. I went to philly to see him once, and also to an office in montgomery county pa somewhere. will try to find his card and get you more info on him.


    • #3
      Are you suspecting or hoping that there is some additional surgery or medical procedure that would cure or improve his CES (cauda equina syndrome)? Then you need to have him see a good neurosurgeon, not a neurologist.

      If you are looking for a physician who understands CES and can help him get the appropriate therapy (I assume he did not go through an acute inpatient SCI rehabilitation program already), then a physiatrist would be a much more appropriate type of physician for him to work with, ideally one who is also board certified in Spinal Cord Medicine. I also assume that he has bowel and bladder and sexual functioning involvement, so he should also have a long term relationship with a good neurologic urologist. You may want to look into a referral or outpatient services at Kessler (NJ) or Magee (Philadelphia) rehabilitation centers.

      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.


      • #4
        Cauda Equina Info

        Thank you, Jody and SCI-Nurse. These are very helpful suggestions that I will pass on to the person experiencing this situation. If there are further questions, I'll be sure to ask for more help!

        Cynthia Templeton