New too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New too

I am new, too. My injury was an abscess on cervical spine that was MRSA infected. By the time they figured out what was wrong ( they thought strained muscle, then Guillan Barre) and I had emergency surgery, there was some irreversible damage done. Was in hospital 2 1/2 months, 9 weeks of which was rehab. I am able to walk with a cane but have neurogenic (?) pain in legs, as well as have to intermittent self cath since bladder doesn't work. Even in rehab there was no spinal cord injury folks to talk to (mostly stroke and other brain injury) and have felt extremely isolated. Thought I'd try this out..your post gave me courage to speak up

Welcome Beth!
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

Welcome, Beth! I have moved your message to create its own thread so it doesn't get lost in Spotted Cow's. Please come and visit often. There are many people here who can relate to what you have been through and provide you with sage advice.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hi Beth, It must have been hard to be so isolated like that. How are you doing other wise?
        I often read old threads here for info which has been very helpful with my husbands injury.

Comment

Welcome...alot of information for you here.

Comment

Hello Beth. These are good people, a few cranks & grouches, but that's true anywhere The politics forum can get pretty rough, but otherwise, you'll find a wealth of information (and friends) here.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes! I am doing okay depending on the day. I work three days a week (T-Th) and get pretty exhausted by Friday so it takes a few days to recuperate. I think my biggest struggles have to do with the isolation and no one around me really understanding the energy it takes to just complete daily tasks as I don't really look much like I struggle. The balance and energy issues, incontinence threats (bowel and bladder) aren't really known by anyone but me and not exactly topics for dinner time conversation. Right now I'm probably feeling sorry for myself as I see myself as "damaged goods" and have a difficult time not spending hours a day on what my life would be like if this hadn't happened while at the same time feeling guilty because I know I am so lucky in many respects--still alive, didn't die when I could have, still can walk, etc.

Comment

Welcome Beth!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beth123 View Post
                  Thanks for the welcomes! I am doing okay depending on the day. I work three days a week (T-Th) and get pretty exhausted by Friday so it takes a few days to recuperate. I think my biggest struggles have to do with the isolation and no one around me really understanding the energy it takes to just complete daily tasks as I don't really look much like I struggle. The balance and energy issues, incontinence threats (bowel and bladder) aren't really known by anyone but me and not exactly topics for dinner time conversation. Right now I'm probably feeling sorry for myself as I see myself as "damaged goods" and have a difficult time not spending hours a day on what my life would be like if this hadn't happened while at the same time feeling guilty because I know I am so lucky in many respects--still alive, didn't die when I could have, still can walk, etc.
                  Hello and welcome Beth!

Well we all know exactly how you are feeling here, so you have definitely come to the right place!

There's also quite a few of us here (like me) who, like yourself, had an "atraumatic" (ha!) sci.

Comment

welcome Beth. Nice to hear from you and hope you find lots of help here.

Mary
                    C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

"I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Beth123 View Post
                        Well don't spend to much time beating yourself up...becomes a viscous cycle...been there done that, felt bad then felt bad for felling bad...lol Hope we can be of some help. Try and have the best day you can every day

Comment

Hi, Beth, welcome!

My wife's experience was not dissimilar to yours - she had 2 spinal abscesses - hospital-acquired staph, not MRSA. The doctor treating her for other reasons discounted her reports of back pain until she was losing control of her legs. 3 years and several operations later she was paralyzed at T5.

We've given up on the "woulda, coulda, shoulda," as it gets us nowhere but frustrated, and are concentrating on living life as it is, as good as it can be.

You're absolutely right in that some of the big issues (B&B) aren't recognized by the general world.

Keps - yeah, "atraumatic" is sort of a misnomer, isn't it?

- Richard

Comment

Welcome Beth! Glad you found us. This is a good place.

Comment

Working...
                            X