Wondering about a gift for new inc. quad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about a gift for new inc. quad

I've been asked to go talk to a newly injured 46 year old women (SCI, incomplete quad with fairly good use of one arm, not so much the other) -- She is very depressed and in denial -- 5 months post-injury and still in hospital due to 2 sores, and a hubby that is basically bailing on her.
    I want to take her something as a gift...having a hard time figuring out what -- something to maybe take her mind off things when she's overwhelmed -- any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Why do you say she is in denial??

Most people with SCI want the same type of gifts that ABs want. There are no real "gimp gifts" that may not make her feel even more disabled.

How about an iPad or iPod she can easily operate?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Why do you say she is in denial??

Most people with SCI want the same type of gifts that ABs want. There are no real "gimp gifts" that may not make her feel even more disabled.

How about an iPad or iPod she can easily operate?

(KLD)
      I've been SCI for 23 years --

the therapist who's asked me to speak to her used the phrase "in denial" -- because she says her life is on hold until she is healed or cured of her SCI.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Give her a tazer to zap her husband-jerk!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
          Give her a tazer to zap her husband-jerk!
          No doubt! I love this suggestion!

Comment

How about a diary to right down her thoughts, you can explain to her that one day she will be able to look back and realize that its not the end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
              How about a diary to right down her thoughts, you can explain to her that one day she will be able to look back and realize that its not the end of the world.

Awesome...perfect! Thank you!

Comment

I hope it helps. I know it seems like the end right now but I hope somehow you can incorporate it into your talk with her. Oh yea, and don't forget to put cc address in the book so she can come visit here.

Comment

Originally posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
                  I hope it helps. I know it seems like the end right now but I hope somehow you can incorporate it into your talk with her. Oh yea, and don't forget to put cc address in the book so she can come visit here.

Will do for sure...this place is incredibly helpful in so many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinkerGirl View Post
                    I've been SCI for 23 years --

the therapist who's asked me to speak to her used the phrase "in denial" -- because she says her life is on hold until she is healed or cured of her SCI.

Thanks anyway.
                    I've been injured for almost 13 years and I still sometimes think parts of me are in denial or I'm extremely apathetic--not sure if those two connect in some way.

However, as for a gift, give her the gift of laughter. Does she enjoy comedians? You can buy Joan Rivers, Kathy Griffin, Bill Maher, or Wanda Sykes doing stand-up fairly cheap at deepdiscount.com. They're amazingly funny, but not for someone who's easily offended or particularly religious.

If she's religious, then find spiritual gifts, like books to edify her or items like a rainbow maker that she can hang near sunlight and watch the beautiful colors the prism makes.
                    Here's a link: http://acornonline.com/rainbow-maker/p/14489/ They're so beautiful to look at.

Comment

Maybe an online gift card to Amazon.

Comment

Some good homemade cookies or dark chocolate (a mood enhancer!) is something she is probably not seeing a lot of in the hospital. Some nice scented lotions too might be enjoyed.

I did love the tazer for her idiot husband though....

Comment

When u visit her can u ask if it would be alright to send her cards? I think there are many here that would send a card to let her know that she is not alone. A few words of encouragement may lift her spirits.

Comment

awesome idea! I will indeed ask.

Comment

I found the greatest gift to be the visit & inspiration of another SCI'er itself. The talks alone helped tremendously. My first mentor was a para that taught me things to look for & advocated on my behalf before I knew, what a relief! I was usually minds away when she visited but I am very grateful she was near.

The idea of a journal is great. I so often wish I'd kept "thoughts" on paper & in picture to show my progress.

I loved getting lotions & soaps, real tissues & razors; any creature comforts that made me feel a little prettier.

Call ahead to see what length her hair is..HAIR BANDS! Us girls know they're so needed much more once you need something easier, to combat bed head & for therapy.

I've taken my laptop before along with a comedy to watch.

Note: not sure if you've mentored before but I've had one refuse seeing me because I was 'still' in a chair. Good luck!

Take a laptop & a movie to watch with her.

Comment

Working...
                              X