No announcement yet.

new - looking for understanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prpleharly, my spine is a mess too due to DDD. My sci was caused by a calcium deposit that broke, resulting in a bone spur splintering off and damaging my cord. I also have possible MS...had an ugly little brain stem lesion six months prior to the SCI. Anyway, I'm glad you found the site...sorry you need it...but there are some nice folks here who will be willing to listen and help you brainstorm about possible ways to make life better. I take Gabapentin to help with neuropain....had bad side effects the first few months, but gradually adjusted to it and have less brain fog now due to the Gaba. Good luck!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

Tam,

Thanks for your concern and help. hope all is going well with you. Been checking out your recipes in the food forum - they look really good - lucky for you we're not neighbors or else I would find myself at your doorstep especially around dinner time. - you would have to come out and or my husband would have to put in one of those invisible fences that shocks you if you cross it

I'm not sure on the med side effects cause either i had the symptoms before the meds or I was taking the meds for sometime before the new symptoms popped up. so i'm just not sure on this - I guess you just don't realize how much the spinal cord contols things until things start going wrong. not much other Dr's can do - so I'm now in pain management and am seeing the psychologist (which is in the same offices as the PM) to try to deal with things. They both seem to be pretty decent and listen -compared to some I've seen.

Cass Thanks for the welcome sorry to hear about your accident and hope this finds things going well for you.

Danine - Thanks for the welcome - How are you doing? Sorry to hear about your spine being messed up - I'm not sure about the MS stuff - some of the Dr's were questioning MS but no lesions are showing up on mri's so neurologist is saying not MS but cervical myelopathy which can produce MS type symptoms. Hope you receive good results regarding your possible MS.

I peeked at your pictures (I also like photography) & They are really nice - like the black and white ones - I like them all - but sometimes black and white pictures are pretty cool.

Before all this started I used to take my grandson (I used to watch him evenings after work) around town with me to take some pictures however now I don't want to drive with him in the truck - So when he can my husband will take me out and about to take photo's - now with the warmer weather and if I would be having a good day I hope () to be able to ride on the Harley with him to get some picture taking sites in.

Well Thanks again all - really like the site - sometimes just shy about jumping in the waters.
      PrpleHarly08

Was afraid I was losing my mind - So I asked the people behind my couch and they assured me I was still sane

Comment

Originally posted by TAM63 View Post
        When you have a complicated case, it can be really hard to sort out the cause (causes).
        I have found this to be true with even the simplest of cases - when dealing with sci.
        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Your not alone, my situation is a lot like yours. Shoot me an e-mail if you like. In the mean time check out these web sites:

I have found 2 very useful websites, search them well:
          http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1149070-overview

http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageS...me=About_Facts (this is where I found out about neuropathy and that I wasn't crazy after all, just keep browsing this web site)

Comment

Originally posted by prpleharly08 View Post
            Tam,

Thanks for your concern and help. hope all is going well with you. Been checking out your recipes in the food forum - they look really good - lucky for you we're not neighbors or else I would find myself at your doorstep especially around dinner time. - you would have to come out and or my husband would have to put in one of those invisible fences that shocks you if you cross it

I'm not sure on the med side effects cause either i had the symptoms before the meds or I was taking the meds for sometime before the new symptoms popped up. so i'm just not sure on this - I guess you just don't realize how much the spinal cord contols things until things start going wrong. not much other Dr's can do - so I'm now in pain management and am seeing the psychologist (which is in the same offices as the PM) to try to deal with things. They both seem to be pretty decent and listen -compared to some I've seen.
            You're welcome. I wish you did live nearby - I'd love a friendly neighbor who likes to eat. I love to cook, and am often looking for "victims" to inflict the food on

It doesn't really sound that much like meds side effects to me. But it's always something to consider. I strongly suspect they're right re. the pain coming from the spinal cord. And probably some of the other sensations. Just trying to think of anything else that could cause the mental stuff, balance stuff, etc.

Re. having had an EMG - if you did, I think you'd probably know it. They wire you up, needles stuck into your arms and legs. Does that sound like the test you have?

I also wonder - have you ever had an endocrine workup? Have they checked your thyroid etc. - all sorts of things can go wrong with low thyroid. Or low cortisol.

Also, some vitamin deficiencies can cause a lot of problems - vit D and vit B12 come to mind. They could check that, to be sure.

I really hope you feel better - I am glad your current docs and least seem nice, and listen.

Comment

prpleharly08

pain at back of eye(s) - is it excruciating? does it get worse if you move your eye(s)?
              speech problems and cog fog (foggy brain) - I can relate to this.

I hope things improve for you.

Comment

I just had a second surgery to repair my T7-8 disc. The last surgery was a microsurgery which only removed a piece of the disc, but did not fix the spinal cord compression. They also put screws and rods on the back of the vertebras to lift up some on the disc. This second surgery removed the old hardware also. There will be a long recovery time from this. I am looking forward to getting on the recovery side of this one.

I also have memory issues, brain fogging. I found it gets better if I rest all day. I also have digestion issues. The issues are numberous, I have had them now for almost 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                X