super sad stepdaughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coleen View Post
    Medicare/medicaid is available to him, if he's 'old' enough, he/you can apply for medicare, if not, go for medicare disability, he'll likely have medicaid for 2 years, but I'm in Wa & don't know the 'rules' in Tx. Good luck to all of you!!
    Coleen, he is only 43, so will not qualify yet for Medicare. He must be disabled 24 months before then. He may qualify for SSDI if he has paid or had Social Security taxes withheld for sufficient quarters (40). Once he applies for SSDI (which he can get after 6 months), then he can also apply for Medicare. If he is not eligible for SSDI, he may be eligible for SSI. If so, then he is probably also eligible for Medicaid, but would need to have few assets. If he has been working, he may have more than $2000 in assets (bank accounts, stocks, bonds, savings, money market, etc. etc.) and would probably need to spend down in order to qualify. You can only spend down on certain things (a house or a vehicle or medical costs, for example). You cannot give the money away or spend it on luxury items. A social worker at the hospital should have already been working on these issues, and if not, the family needs to insist that they do so. In some states, rehab units will take you with Medicaid-pending if you have a SCI (we used to do this in CA, but not any longer).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Maegan,

Best of luck to him and to you for the surgery!

You said he was injured on Thanksgiving which means that's 4 weeks ago. Did he have an initial surgery the day of?

I am also a C5 burst fracture from a traffic accident and had a hematoma according to my surgical notes. You can read about me in the link below. I'm certainly not on a ventilator but I have also been given an extremely fortunate second life considering my level of injury. I am 6 months post now and yesterday, I played a full 18 holes of golf in Maui in front of the Pacific Ocean with no pain. I even scored pretty well too.

No matter what, don't give up. I know that every injury is different and I am not a typical case. My surgeons were doubtful about my progress because there is literally a bright white spot in the middle of my spinal cord on the MRI indicating damage. That kind of stuff is meant to be proven wrong. I went swimming in the ocean and surfing this week which was exhilarating. Anything is possible. My thoughts are with you.

Sincerely,

Kendrick

PS: KLD, I think I have rods in the back of my neck, no? A plate up front with 4 screws, 2 rods in the back with 6 screws. A PEEK cage and my old morselized C5 fills in the middle.
      Last edited by Khatsalano; 12-29-2009, 05:49 PM.
      C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
      http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135

Comment

Thank you guys so much for all the support. I'm going to find out if any financial stuff has been started yet and if not I will get on them to figure it out.

Kendrick, I don't think he had surgery the day of the accident, at least not on his neck. They did make an incision into his abdomen, which I'm not sure why, the nurses think it was an exploratory surgery to make sure no other damage was done. They didn't do anything with his neck because they didn't even know about the damage until a week or two ago. Initially all they thought was that he had a stroke and some brain damage in the occipital lobe. Anyway, I really hope his story turns out to be like yours. It's amazing that you're doing all that 6 months after your accident! Congratulations

Comment

((hugs)) Im so sorry. This is going to be a rough road but one you will be able to get down with the love and support of those around you (and us)
          Best of luck and keep us posted!

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about this. On a side note, him moving anything voluntary is awesome news!! Keep us posted on how he's doing and his recovery...
            Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
            xxxJoaniexxx
            God is good

Comment

One day at a time

Dear blake7979,

Hang in there. Having been the one who was horizontal in a hospital bed, your visits make a HUGE difference in our recovery.

One thing that helped me was to make a list of things from home that care providers could bring to the hospital. It kept my mind off the continuous dread of thinking of how my life had changed. It also gave me the goal to get the hell out of the hospital.

Life might have changed but it is FAR from over,

Comment

Meagan,
                Hang in there. He is lucky to have you watching out for him. My son was injured almost three years ago. I know what a blur the time in the hospital can be. Make sure to take care of yourself too. We found comedy dvds to be fun to watch. Laughter goes a long way.
                Take care.
                Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your stepdad. My daughter was injured a year ago. This is the hardest obstacle that our family or any family will ever have to experience. Your stepdad needs to feel your support and dedication. He is going to need you as much as you can be there for him.

Comment

I thought of something I really liked, that you could bring. A lightweight sleeping bag or comforter, with the nylon shell, was heaven.
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Keep 'em comin :P
                      Does anyone know how many hours the surgery usually takes? He went in at about 12 and I haven't heard anything yet

Comment

Well, his surgery went well, but I haven't figured out what they did exactly. I think it took about 6 hours. I did figure out that he is going to a rehab center in Austin that specialized in SCI's (I don't know what it's called) after he heals up from the surgery.

Comment

Meagan...

Welcome to CC... I'm so glad your step-father's surgery went well... please keep us posted as he is transferred to rehab.

Love,

Sieg

Comment

Good news, they are starting to wean him off the ventilator! Other than that, he's still recovering from the surgery. He is in quite a bit of pain of course. Does anyone know the typical healing time for this type of surgery? I still haven't gotten any answers as to what part of the cord is damaged and what the surgery consisted of.

Comment

Wonderful news.

Comment

Acute recovery from stabilization surgery is relatively rapid, although pain may continue at the surgical site for a number of months. It takes at least 3 months for the bone to heal so that it is strong enough to not need a neck brace, and up to a year for complete bone healing and remodeling to take place. This is completely separate from any neurologic return that may occur.

(KLD)
                                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                                X