Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 incomplete Injury

Hey All,

Came across this site via the net - realised Im not the only SCI victim out there. I was injured in a heli crash on the 4 July 2008 - chasing suspects and flew into power lines resulting in my crash. Its been a rough year but have had good progress - Quads = 5/5 hamstrings = 3/5 calves = 2/5 Gluts = 3/5. Toes are moving and can do toe raises although weak. I have both B&B fuctions - no spasms and no pain.

I walk with crutches but hopefully will be off these things soon. It has just been a very very slow process.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say hellooooooooooo to yo`all.
    Stay frosty
    Carl

Welcome to CareCure! As we often say, we are sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.

It sounds like your injury was pretty incomplete and you are having significant recovery. This is great. How is your sexual functioning, if I may ask? Are you working with a therapist on an ongoing basis to maximize your return?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

my urologist recommends that anyone with any slight nerve damage to the penis nerves to take an ed drug as a way to prevent more damage, he said gotta keep that blood flow to prevent more damage.

i hate them damn power lines , really complicate a crash or a bad jump
      cauda equina

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Welcome to CareCure! As we often say, we are sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.

It sounds like your injury was pretty incomplete and you are having significant recovery. This is great. How is your sexual functioning, if I may ask? Are you working with a therapist on an ongoing basis to maximize your return?

(KLD)
        Thanks for the reply KDL - Did you mean working with a therapist to regain my sexual function or overall recovery? My Bad!! My sexual function is fine except that I do not experience an orgasm as I did prior to the injury - Its kinda there but not as intense as it was.

I do attend a outpatients rehab once or twice a week and the other days Im in the gym swimming and weight training. Normal day in the gym invloves cycling 45 min - leg press - hamstrings curls (I can only do 1 plate resistance for hamstring curls and manage to go down about half the way down otherwise I cant get it back up). Squats are getting stronger nowadays - my knees dont buckle inward any more. I also try and use the ski-machine as much as possible.

Can a person ever over-exercise?

Forgot - my dorsi-flex on the left foot (1/5) is starting to work but nothing on the right foot!! Weird or what?? Will it get stronger?
        Last edited by CarlBarnardo; 12-16-2009, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by metronycguy View Post
          my urologist recommends that anyone with any slight nerve damage to the penis nerves to take an ed drug as a way to prevent more damage, he said gotta keep that blood flow to prevent more damage.

i hate them damn power lines , really complicate a crash or a bad jump
          Hey Mike - Thanks for the reply - I agree, them damn power lines should be underground!! My blood flow is pretty good down there but will mention what you said to my Doc.

Stay frosty
          Last edited by CarlBarnardo; 12-16-2009, 05:03 AM.

Comment

L1-L2 Incomplete - Looking for More help

Hi,
            I was injured on August 29, 2009 in a horse riding accident in Florida. I am back in Southern California now. This is for the L1-L2 Incompletes out there. Its been 4 months now. I am standing with braces on the parallel bars although not taking the full impact. The popular question, when could I expect bladder and bowel control? I am self cath now.
            Also, I am looking for a Standing Frame (used) and inexpensive.

I remain with pain in my back, buttocks and legs (spasm). Should I expect to deal with pain the rest of my life?

Thanks for listening,
            John

Comment

Originally posted by JohnRealEstate View Post
              Hi,
              I was injured on August 29, 2009 in a horse riding accident in Florida. I am back in Southern California now. This is for the L1-L2 Incompletes out there. Its been 4 months now. I am standing with braces on the parallel bars although not taking the full impact. The popular question, when could I expect bladder and bowel control? I am self cath now.
              Also, I am looking for a Standing Frame (used) and inexpensive.

I remain with pain in my back, buttocks and legs (spasm). Should I expect to deal with pain the rest of my life?

Thanks for listening,
              John
              Hey John, so sorry to hear about your accident - you are at the right place to get all the information you require - with my injury I was very fortunate to get so much back. I wish I could help with the questions you have - keep watching this thread - I`m sure you will get many others who have had similar injuries with similar symptoms. Keep working hard at rehab my friend. Stay frosty

Comment

John,

I am an L1 incomplete 2.5 years post. Every injury is so different that no one can tell you with any certainty what recovery that you can expect.

As to the pain question, I had pain from the surgery that persisted for 2 years. It is pretty well gone now and I do not experience daily pain but again, that is probably just luck on my part.

As to the bowel and bladder, it is my understanding that these are the least likely to recover areas for SCI injuries. But again, everyone is different.

Starting at about 9 months, I regained the sensation of full bladder. Still no functional recovery for the flaccid bladder. However, within about a year, you should have your b&b program well under control and with any luck, it should not affect your daily routines rather or not you experience full recovery.

Good Luck

Comment

Welcome to CC...Sounds like your doing great with your recovery! Glad you found CC, your going to love all the support and knowledge!

Comment

Sounds like you are doing well.

John Real Estate -- you might consider holding off on the standing frame since you can already stand in the parallel bars with leg braces. My son is an L1 burst fracture who also was able to stand in the parallel bars. He was able to progress to standing with a walker in front of a bed or couch (in case he fell - which he didn't). A walker is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a standing frame. Plus, it built his confidence.
                    He's about 3 years out now and is able to walk with AFOs and forearm crutches around the house -- he uses a chair when out and about for the most part. You're still a pretty new injury, I would hold off on getting expensive equipment until you're sure you are going to need it long term.
                    Best wishes.
                    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                    -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

L1 incomplete

I agree with others each injury is different. I am 2.5 yrs post and I still seth cath and bowel stem so I would have to say time will tell. I never really had pain in the back but nerve pain down the leg all the time. Just keep plugging along and once again time will tell. Welcome and too bad you needed this site. Good Luck.
                      What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Comment

Hi, I am a L1 incomplete, injured 12/20/2009. I am still in rehab center and am able to take some steps with walker, bowel program is working some what, not very consistant, am getting some drug to get my bladder to contract but have yet been able to pass water, always need to self cath. Drugs seem to make me feel latharject and not very hungry. Any ideas?

Comment

Otis, your injury is still really new. My son is an L1 incomplete too. It just takes time. We did find that the hospital tended to over medicate him and that didn't help. You might let one of the SCI nurses here know more about your situation and weigh in on it.

The fact that you are able to use a walker this soon out is great.

Best wishes.
                          Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                          Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                          -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

welcome to carecure.

Comment

Hey all,
                              good to find you here, get some support and hopefully some answers.
                              My boyfriend had a burst fracture L1 after a riding accident 1 month ago.
                              His motoric movement was very good right after accident (Quads 5/5, Hamstrings 5/5 Calves 4/5 Gluts 5/5 Dorsi flex 3/5). 4 days after the surgery (no laminectomy but cage th12-l2 as compression of 40% due to bruise and burst fragment- but with enough space in spinal canal) and after removing the catheter we realised that he had urinary retention, bowels were semifunctioning. He is selfcathertherizing now- bowels program does the trick. He can go for a walk for 30 min without crutches- what is amazing. So in terms of movement we gather he will regain full recovery. (motoric nerves take up to 1.5 years to recover..)What sucks are the parasympathetic/ autonomic nerves to bowels/bladder/genitals - so unpredictable.
                              He can have a semierection- but is not able to ejaculate- his penis does hurt.
                              He has some sensational loss bilateral in his buttocks.
                              When you consult Dr.Google there is always the diagnosis "Conus medullaris syndome" that I can gather out of these symptoms. This syndrome has not been diagnosed by his consultat. (they always say unpredictable nerval damage...) By looking on sientific papers there are some conus syndromes without lower extremity involvement.
                              There are not that many papers about conus syndome anyway- does that mean it does not happen that often- or frequently stays undiagnosed- or is the recovery so good that science/medical eduction does not bother too much?

Is there anybody out there who regained the ability to ejaculate?

You often read about improvement of bowels and bladder over time.

Courage to all of you- the good thing about accidents- chances of improvement are huge- chances of deterioration are minimal...Keep the spirits up.
                              xd

Comment

Working...
                              X