No announcement yet.

c1 break c2 fracture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. That is great- 20 1/2 hours. Sounds like she is making great progress. Glad family will join us! Keep the hope! It really is one day at a time

Comment

Bill,

I was just reading through your website and I just have to say you inspire me.

Heather

Comment

Thank you Heather. What's the latest with Emily?

20.5 hours sounds amazing!

- Bill :-)
        Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Comment

I agree with Bill, that long off the vent is doing very well. I'm a level lower and currently only dream of that time.
          C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Last Tuesday Emily's temp went up to 108. She has been unresponsive since. Her kidneys are not functioning well. She is having seizures which may be due to the blow to the back of her head in the accident. We are concerned.

Comment

I'm so sorry this is happening - it must be so hard on your whole family.

Comment

It's Aunt Kim

I'm writing here because i'm not good at the forum navagating yet. As Heather said, Emily was doing great and then she started having Pain and her temp spiked. They rushed her to the nearist hospital. Let me clarifiy something. Emily was at RML for weaning and then is to transfer to RIC. At RML this fever broke out. She is at present at Hinsdale Hospital in Hinsdale Il. down the road from RML. Her temp was 108. at the highest and took 6-8 hrs to get it below 105. She had a g tube that was not placed well so it was removed and she is being fed intraveniously now. Her vitals point to infection at times but they can never find the source. At present she is still not responsive and is retaining fluid. They want to start temp dialasis if it can't be resulved with increased fluid. (her leg ect are getting huge) Her temp BP,HR are now fine. Why isen't she waking up? Another thing she started having seizure and they started meds yesterday afternoon. The doctors said the nonresponce is not from the temp being so high. She was on a fentinal pain patch which has been discontinued 1/8/10. She has a C-1 break and a C-2 fracture. her spinal cord was stretched from C1-C6/7 Ishe has feeling but no movement. And was very alert before temp. I know this is alot of info and not well organised but hoping for some help!!

Comment

It's Aunt Kim aka fostette

I just figured out that this is where I should have posted my Thread I posted on alabama's. Please read from hers and I'll get it right next post
                  Thanks
                  Kim

Comment

sorry to hear she is so sick. she is on my prayer list. I have no doubt that anyone here who offers prayer, will when they see she is so ill. Thank you for the update.

Comment

This is Emily's mother(see c1 break c2 fracture). Aunt Kim you will find so much information here and meet some amazing people.

Comment

Wow, I don't know what to say, except y'all are in my prayers.

Maybe SCI-Nurse or Dr. Young can offer some thoughts as to what might be happening.

God bless!
                        Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this. Gosh, this is terrible. I believe a temperature of 108 is very very dangerous, from what I have heard. Are you sure they said it was this high? I did a search and found this.. maybe others can attest if this is true...http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happe...dy_temp_is_108

If she had an opportunistic infection from PEG or Trach, or some other problem, it appears they should have found this before her temp got this high. Why would they say it is not from the fever? This is very concerning... I would certainly want to make sure she is away from whereever she was when this condition began, and get her into the very best care you can...trauma 1 center for starters, someone who has the expertise in dealing with SCI and now, possible brain related issues due to this excessive high fever (if the information presented is correct)... I hope someone with more experience can offer more information for you.. We cannot diagnose on Care Cure. We can send lots of prayers and well wishes, and please know, she is in mine, and I am sure others, prayers right now...

Comment

Just wanted to add a few thoughts. With a SCI fracture that high (c1,c2), it is very close to the lower brainstem. The lower brainstem along with reticular formation of midbrain controls ones ability to moderate their internal body temperature and blood pressure,respiration, sleep, and it can affect ones ability to wake up. The lower part of the brain is attached to the spinal cord at c1. It is the primitive part of the brain that pretty much takes care of basic functioning. If this was injured in the accident, then she may have swelling or injuries in this area. But having a temp of 108, from all I know, is certainly life threatening. It is my understanding one cannot live very long with this extreme high temp.. and can cause brain damage. A suggestion if you haven't already, request a copy of her medical records, get second opinions from medical experts ASAP. Others more experienced may be able to comment on this. From my understanding, kidneys, brain, heart can all start failing with a temperature this high. Our bodies are very controlled by temperature. I can only speak in general terms but hope you can get some medical help with this. I am praying very strongly for Emily right now...
                            Last edited by med100; 01-11-2010, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Re:/forum/showthread.php?t=128196

I am so sorry to hear about Emilys frightening setback. You wrote Emily has not been able to be awakened since Tuesdays temp of 108. Has anyone told you she is in a coma? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coma

Comment

You asked about Trauma 1 Centers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_center. These are hospitals that have met certain standards in order to be able to treat people with severe trauma. Not all ambulances will go to trauma 1 centers, some bring to the closest hospital. Trauma one center is the best, trauma two or three, lower. If you would like, I can look it up and send you a link. Is she in Alabama, Chicago?

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P3-1741150971.html USA Medical Center is Trauma 1
                                The Alabama Department of Public Health has designated the University of South Alabama Medical Center in Mobile as a Level I trauma center. USA is the first medical center in the Gulf Region of Alabama to receive this official designation following the passage of state legislation in 2007 which established a coordinated system. The center provides the highest level of emergency care 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

"A Level I center provides a systematic response to trauma that utilizes ...
                                Last edited by med100; 01-11-2010, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X