C5 ASIA B-Incomplete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Twnzmom,
    I just sent you a message. Check on the top right hand corner of the homepage and click on private message.
    Thanks.
    Teri
    Luke 5:24

Comment

Thanks so much for all of your responses! We have convinced my sil to go to tour the closest center that specializes in SCI, Baylor, on Friday. Hoping it goes well and I know from what others have told us that the difference in the 2 facilities is going to be drastic. Hoping she will be motivated to make a change after seeing what is out there!

Comment

Oh, please keep trying to encourage her. That was exactly the attitude we received from the doctors at TIRR. Such old school mentality, not willing to try new things, etc.. If we knew then, what we know now! We've been driving our son from Houston to Austin three days/week, it's a sacrifice, but well worth it. I couldn't live with myself thinking, "What if?".
        FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Comment

Went and toured Baylor yesterday and it was a dramatic difference from ACH. They have aquatics center, mandatory 3 hours of therapy a day vs. 1.5 she is getting now, a lot more pt/ot equipment, treadmills with the harnesses (pardon my lack of technical terms here), a car in the gym to teach her adaptive driving, etc. We are really excited about getting her moved and my SIL is on board with doing so. They say they can have her moved in 24-48 hours as soon as she gives the go ahead. I am hoping that happens beginning of the week.

Comment

twnzmom,
            Great news! Keep plugging there!

Comment

In the approval process to have her moved before the weekend!! Yeah!! Will be moving to Baylor and see how it goes. My SIL says she is going to continue looking at other facilities, may fly out and look at Craig, and consider going there if Baylor does not work out well. The insurance case manager said she believes Craig has an apartment complex where the patients may stay and do therapy as out-patient but be right there close? Does anyone know about this? I saw on their website that they have a parent facility but assumed that was just for parents of in-patient rehabs. Her insurance would pay an unlimited amount of days if she could be out-patient so that would be good for her.

Comment

Haven't been to Craig, but I did see that they have the apartment like facilities as a means to help the patient learn to become more independent e.g., cooking, laundry, etc.. plus time with family members.
                FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Comment

twnzmom,

Craig would be an excellent choice!

The gentleman injured in the collaspe of the Cowboy's facility asked about FES bikes, Lokomats, etc., at Baylor (they don't have them) and while they do a good rehab for strokes, etc., the needs and potential you describe here require additional equipment available at Craig and other sci facilities. Please go to where you can receive therapy using specific sci knowledge and skills and specialty equipment which promotes recovery.

Insurance money can disappear quickly- it is important to see, experience and really plug-in to available sci resources which lead to a healthier and happier recovery.

Best of luck!

Comment

PMR residents know nothing. I know as I was once one. Go to Craig's or Sheppard or Kessler...

Comment

Originally posted by twnzmom View Post
                      The insurance case manager said she believes Craig has an apartment complex where the patients may stay and do therapy as out-patient but be right there close? Does anyone know about this? I saw on their website that they have a parent facility but assumed that was just for parents of in-patient rehabs. Her insurance would pay an unlimited amount of days if she could be out-patient so that would be good for her.
                      Yes, Craig has apartments. I stayed in them last spring for a re-eval. They are located just east of the hospital. Door-to-door they're about 50' apart but then you need to go through the hospitals east wing to get to the old main building. They are for either out-patients or family. The apartments are all setup for independent living with kitchens, etc. There was about a 4 month lead time for re-evals, but I don't know how soon you can get in one in your circumstance, much quicker I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X