Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mckeownp View Post
    [reflist][/reflist]

Your Son? Isn't he his fathers son too? 3,000 miles is a blink today. Go ahead and teach SCI. PM me when you figure it out. Do you know or relate to any SCI people? Yes people. Not contagious. Conveinet outlook.
    Get honest here. Do or don"t you wan't your son near his Dad because Daddy is sick and facing probably the greatest tragedy in his life?
    I am sorry for being so harsh. Really harsh.
    When Mikey, (my son) had his accident 5 years ago I had the wonderful nurses, Boston Medical Center, keep a chair, emesis tray and ice for the back of necks for those loving individuals who had the courage to visit.
    My wording is not yours to criticize. You have no right to lash out at me regarding my decision. You know next to nothing about our situation, before or after the accident. There are many factors involved.
    Secondly, I didn't ask for opinions on whether to tell him or not. His father and I decided that already.
    I came to this site looking for information about the injury to help my ex and his family, by choice. I could easily have sit back and been detached but, I do care.

Comment

3 Months later, off the vent, where to go next? Help!

It's been some time now. So happy to say the vent, trach, and G tube are gone. He worked hard to wean from it. We finally had a visit and it went well. I was glad to be able to help and tried to provide comfort and encouragement.
      He's at Spaulding Rehab but it's time for him to go somewhere else?? I think he's fully covered by WC. The family is looking to send him to the Center for Comprehensive Services in Raynham, Ma. I'm a little confused, as this is a facility for brain injury therapy. They are listed as CARF but traditionally are a Mentor ABI center. They say they will provide him with any rehab services he needs but he seems to be their first severe SCI case. Does anyone know anything about these places? Any other suggestions??

Comment

The Center for Comprehensive Services in Raynham (part of the Mentor ABI chain) is CARF accredited only as a Brain Injury Residential Rehabilitation Program. It is not accredited as an acute rehab program, for either TBI or SCI. It is a residential post-acute TBI rehab program where 6 people live in a group home and participate in therapy. If they have little experience with SCI I would assume that this is only a TBI program. He will likely not have much in common with the other people there unless he also has a significant TBI that you have not mentioned.

Has he achieved all of his goals for rehab at Spaulding? Do you think he needs more acute rehab? Is there some discharge plan other than for him to live long-term in an institutional setting (rather than get his own place with attendant care)???

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The center director returned my email inquiry saying that the also do SCI rehab. I'm not so convinced. It sounds like this is fairly new to them.
          Keith is technically a C4, not sure whether complete or incomplete. I don't know why they are having him moved from Spaulding. Until 3 weeks ago he was on the vent, had C-Diff, and wasn't eating well due to stomache problems. He is eating and breathing fine now, but is also just now getting the proper PT. WHy would they want to move him? Does it sound like they're giving up on him? Where SHOULD he be going? Help...

Comment

Hi healing, I just saw this. How did the visit w/ your son and his Dad do?

Have they made some decisions as to where he is in rehab? Is he going home and doing out patient rehab, or still in a hospital setting?

I would certainly push for him to be in a setting that specializes in sci, not one that just does it as an aside.
            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

The visit went well. Our son handled it pretty well. I had him visit a good amount during the trip, within reason. He is 9 and could only handle so much. I spent almost every day at Spaulding, trying to help out. Leaving was difficult for them. Thank you for asking.
              Since the visit, things seemed to go downhill for Keith. He hasn't been calling his son very ften and w can't reach him. He began having anxiety and irritability issues. I think his care has slipped due to the "issues". Spaulding and Keith are ready for him to leave.
              He has a Baclofen pump put in this week and will be moving to Raynham this week, as well. He has had no return since his accident in May.
              I continue to pray for him and hope for the best.

Comment

I'm glad your stepson handled things well,but your poor husband.I'm sorry,I hope he finds peace soon.I know quite a few injuries didn't go through their grief stage until later on,I didn't.Atleast he's getting it out now.I hope he talks to a proffessional ,gets on a good med for his anxiety & gets into some good therapy & activities soon to free his mind.Best wishes.

Comment

Don't give up the fight. Whether it be the big picture goal of life returning to normal down to the exact room he wants in a particular rehab center, never give up.

- K
                  C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
                  http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135

Comment

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Although it's hard seeing him like this, I've got it so easy. I can't imagine what he must be feeling. I wish I could do more, even though he put me through a lot of tough times in the past. I really want him to have the best recovery he can.

Comment

Working...
                    X