New T12 burst fracture -info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T12 Burst Fracture 60% spinal cord affected

I was in a very serious twin engine airplane emergency crash landing onto a hillside this past June 2012. I suffered T12 burst fracture upon impact and was initially paralyzed from the waist down. Was airlifted to the hospital and had metal implanted into my back. I also had a broken hand, broken ribs, and a banged up head. Initially I couldn't walk and was in great pain, but after a month in the hospital which included physical therapy. I came home.

Today I am walking and the pain is easing with each passing month. I have a little stiffness in my back at times, and the tell tell burning nerve pain going down both legs and ending around my knees. In the beginning I had leg spasms, tingling, burning and just downright pain.

I chose to go off of the heavy pain killers about two and a half months after the injury, however I am still on Gabapentin 400 MG three times a day. And a couple of Tylenol a few times a week. It was very very difficult going without the pain medication and I would not recommend it to everyone, but it helped to ease the pain by taking 2 or three hot baths a day. I also used a lot of Ice bags early on, and I also went to Target and bought an electric messager which I still use daily. The messager seems to help train the nerves and increases the blood flow which helps the healing.

I started out on a walker and when I first came home I was in the bed about 23 hours a day, but keep pushing yourself and it certainly helps with the healing.

Comment

Oh ya, my first positive indicator was when I could wiggle my big toes !

Comment

Sorry, I just reread your questions again. Based on my experience the pain is a good thing. It is very difficult to control but you will find ways to help it, and for me it let me know that I had a chance a walking again. Which like I said, I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley-ws View Post
          I was in a very serious twin engine airplane emergency crash landing onto a hillside this past June 2012. I suffered T12 burst fracture upon impact and was initially paralyzed from the waist down. Was airlifted to the hospital and had metal implanted into my back. I also had a broken hand, broken ribs, and a banged up head. Initially I couldn't walk and was in great pain, but after a month in the hospital which included physical therapy. I came home.

Today I am walking and the pain is easing with each passing month. I have a little stiffness in my back at times, and the tell tell burning nerve pain going down both legs and ending around my knees. In the beginning I had leg spasms, tingling, burning and just downright pain.

I chose to go off of the heavy pain killers about two and a half months after the injury, however I am still on Gabapentin 400 MG three times a day. And a couple of Tylenol a few times a week. It was very very difficult going without the pain medication and I would not recommend it to everyone, but it helped to ease the pain by taking 2 or three hot baths a day. I also used a lot of Ice bags early on, and I also went to Target and bought an electric messager which I still use daily. The messager seems to help train the nerves and increases the blood flow which helps the healing.

I started out on a walker and when I first came home I was in the bed about 23 hours a day, but keep pushing yourself and it certainly helps with the healing.
          I went off of everything except the gabepetin also, nothing helped so why have your head fuzzy!!!! I still have alot of pain in my feet feels like walking on broken glass but at least I can walk some just not very far! Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X