Heart Broken Daughter Recent T12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Broken Daughter Recent T12

My daughter (10 years old) fell out of her 2nd story window 11-9-2008. Please spread the word that windows screens give you a false sense of security. My daughter leaned on the screen by standing on the bed when the screen came loose and she fell with it.

She is at Barrows in Phoenix and expected to be released 12-23-2008. So far we know it is a T12 spinal injury. They haven't yet determined if it is complete or incomplete. They did mention it was one of the worst they have seen and at some point I understood it was completely severed, but after talking with the surgeon again he said it was hard to tell. She is getting pain in her left hip and in her left leg and can feel cold hands on her upper thigh. No movement, but pain and sensations. She can tell when her bladders is full and has experienced pain (spasms?) in her bladder. I guess the more she can feel the better.

It has been a very difficult time since the accident, trying to be with her at rehab and put time in at work etc etc. I wish we could turn back time or wake up from this nightmare.

We are looking to get a chair lift for our stairs. I was hoping to find something that could just take the wheelchair up. An elevator is too expensive and the platform for a wheelchair won't work on our stairs. Any thoughts on chair lifts? We will need a wheelchair upstairs and down stairs that she can transfer to. We are going to the vendor this week to see if she can even transfer to the chair (might be too high).

CXL
    Last edited by gcblarsen; 12-16-2008, 10:44 PM.

Originally posted by gcblarsen View Post
    My daughter (10 years old) fell out of her 2nd story window 11-9-2008. Please spread the word that windows screens give you a false sense of security. My daughter leaned on the screen by standing on the bed when the screen came loose and she fell with it.

She is at Barrows in Phoenix and expected to be released 12-23-2008. So far we know it is a T12 spinal injury. They haven't yet determined if it is complete or incomplete. They did mention it was one of the worst they have seen and at some point I understood it was completely severed, but after talking with the surgeon again he said it was hard to tell. She is getting pain in her left hip and in her left leg and can feel cold hands on her upper thigh. No movement, but pain and sensations. She can tell when her bladders is full and has experienced pain (spasms?) in her bladder. I guess the more she can feel the better.

It has been a very difficult time since the accident, trying to be with her at rehab and put time in at work etc etc. I wish we could turn back time or wake up from this nightmare.

We are looking to get a chair lift for our chairs. I was hoping to find something that could just take the wheelchair up. An elevator is too expensive and the platform for a wheelchair won't work on our stairs. Any thoughts on chair lifts? We will need a wheelchair upstairs and down stairs that she can transfer to. We are going to the vendor this week to see if she can even transfer to the chair (might be too high).

CXL
    My heart goes out to you. Just wanted tell you I am saying a prayer for you and your daughter.

Comment

So sorry.Hope we can be of help. You might try the Equipment section forum to see if they know how to acquire the stair lift and also the social worker at the facility.

CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Welcome to CC. Very sorry to hear about your daughter.
        "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

Sending thoughts your way.
          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I regret to say that I know exactly how you feel, I just joined the forum today as well. My son's injury was 11/22. He was on a trampoline with his girlfriend, did a back flip and shattered his t12. The odd thing is that he didn't fall off or hit the railing. My husband and I have been here around the clock since the accident. Unfortunately, my husband was informed 2 weeks before the accident that was being layed off. However, God works in ways we do not understand and that was just part of His plan.

Like you, we are still very emotional, have tons of questions and would give anything to turn back time. We are near Houston and they say that we are in the #4 rehab center in the nation, but I can't help but to feel that it isn't enough. There is so much information out there regarding therapies, treatments, etc.. but of course, as we are all told, "no two SCI's are alike".

As far as the housing issues, our son's room is also upstairs. We decided because of the stairs and the danger in lifting him up and down and an elevator is impractical that we would turn my downstairs office into his room for now. The only problem with that is that the bathroom downstairs is only partial. However, a friend contacted a home builder and they are going to do the entire rennovations complimentary! SUCH A BLESSING FOR US!!! Have you talked to some builders or contractors, many are willing to help if you let them know what you need. That's been one of the harder things for me, so I'm not real good at it.

I can tell you that my faith and God's love has kept our family strong.
            This is one of my favorite scriptures and it's posted in my son's room:
            Hebrew: 11:1 - Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

PM me if you would like to talk mom to mom!
            I'll be praying for you and your family!
            Last edited by akeleshian; 12-16-2008, 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am sending u and your family a big hug.
              My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Comment

It's been a couple of years since I'd been down the Barrows rehab, maybe this week I'll stop by and say hi. I wish your daughter well and maybe I'll be down to see her soon
                Last edited by rybread; 12-17-2008, 03:00 AM.
                C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

My son got injury on July 26th at C6/7...and we are still adjusting our life. Read as much as you can, this web site is filled with informations and knowledgable people. SCI is not just affect the patient, it affects the whole family.
                  I hope you can balance your time well, it is tough to try to do everything but don't forget to take care of yourself. That's the most important part.
                  About the lift and wheelchairs, please talk to the PT at the rehab. center. They have the most experience and they know what your daughter will fix.

Take care
                  Tim's mom

Comment

Omg you folks, how horible, kids, it's not fair, but then ask any of us, we'll agree with that statemant.But kids should get a chance to grow up.
                    Yhis is a wonderful place for you to find. The information hiway here is a freeway. God bless your families and many prayers to all of you especially duringthis holy season of Christmas Love and prayers.

Comment

My heart hurts for both of the families. I hope this site can bring you wisdom and insight. I am believing the absolute best for your children and your families.
                      "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Comment

OHG! I can't believe all the replies.

She will be coming home on the 23rd! She is so sick of the food and wants to come home so bad. She calls crying when she hurts, when she is frustrated and when she wants to come home. I'm strong on the phone with her, but break down afterwords. I had to tell her to call her dad if she is upset cause I just can't handle it. She is mostly happy, but she hates the bowel care and finds the cathing difficult. She gets frustrated when they want her to do too much and has melt downs. She is very social and has made several friends at rehab. I'm glad she has the personality she has or it would be even harder. I feel like someone has ripped my heart out of my chest and I have phantom pain from the void in my chest. I know it will get easier with time, but I feel that this has taken her childhood away.

I feel I can vent here. We have a blog www.larsensjourney.blogspot.com that my friend setup for us. Since her friends might be reading I have to be careful what I write.

About the house. We do have a bedroom downstairs with a bath that will need some remodeling if the stair lift doesn't work for her. We have talked to the rehab therapist and they are helping. It is so much to take in. It is hard to know what to do with the house since I'm just not sure how she will progress. We are planning to visit the vendor for the chair lift to see if it will work out. I'm thinking it might be worth it even if she can't transfer. We can at least put her on the chair and take her off. Carrying her up and down the stairs is too dangerous and I don't want to isolate her from the rest of the house.

The builder is planning to put in a ramp in for us and we have others who are helping financially. Her school put together a program where the kids can purchase snowflakes to go into an account for Jessica. They have "Let it snow for Jessica" on the door of her classroom. Can't help from crying when I see it. A lot of snow has been falling lately around the country. Please think of Jess when you see snow! I'm not a religious person, but I hoping all the positive energy will do some good some how.

Oh, she is getting a surprise visit from Santa that we are all looking forward to on the 23rd when she gets home. We will have some of her friends over.

cxl

Comment

Gosh, so many new injureis these past few weeks, to all of you...welcome...a lot of wonderful folks here, take advantage of their knowledge...we do have a private caregivers forum that give you an opportunity to ask more personal questions you might have...You do need to join I believe after you've made a few posts...judy

Comment

Originally posted by gcblarsen View Post
                            OHG! I can't believe all the replies.

She will be coming home on the 23rd! She is so sick of the food and wants to come home so bad. She calls crying when she hurts, when she is frustrated and when she wants to come home. I'm strong on the phone with her, but break down afterwords. I had to tell her to call her dad if she is upset cause I just can't handle it. She is mostly happy, but she hates the bowel care and finds the cathing difficult. She gets frustrated when they want her to do too much and has melt downs. She is very social and has made several friends at rehab. I'm glad she has the personality she has or it would be even harder. I feel like someone has ripped my heart out of my chest and I have phantom pain from the void in my chest. I know it will get easier with time, but I feel that this has taken her childhood away.

I feel I can vent here. We have a blog www.larsensjourney.blogspot.com that my friend setup for us. Since her friends might be reading I have to be careful what I write.

About the house. We do have a bedroom downstairs with a bath that will need some remodeling if the stair lift doesn't work for her. We have talked to the rehab therapist and they are helping. It is so much to take in. It is hard to know what to do with the house since I'm just not sure how she will progress. We are planning to visit the vendor for the chair lift to see if it will work out. I'm thinking it might be worth it even if she can't transfer. We can at least put her on the chair and take her off. Carrying her up and down the stairs is too dangerous and I don't want to isolate her from the rest of the house.

The builder is planning to put in a ramp in for us and we have others who are helping financially. Her school put together a program where the kids can purchase snowflakes to go into an account for Jessica. They have "Let it snow for Jessica" on the door of her classroom. Can't help from crying when I see it. A lot of snow has been falling lately around the country. Please think of Jess when you see snow! I'm not a religious person, but I hoping all the positive energy will do some good some how.

Oh, she is getting a surprise visit from Santa that we are all looking forward to on the 23rd when she gets home. We will have some of her friends over.

cxl
                            Please make sure your doing your best to take care of yourself. It's a natural instinct to hurt when our babies hurt. My MVA was 17 mo's ago, I was 35 at the time. I don't live with my parents and they arent my care providers but I see how hard it's been on them especially my Mom. It breaks my heart on a daily basis to see how much this has affected them and my children. I only say this because I was a foster parent for high needs teenage girls for many years and it took me 3 years to figure out how important self care is, and how necessary it is not only for us but for the well being of our family.

It sounds as if you have a lot of wonderful support. I think it will be great for your daughter to see her friends. Children always appear to be so much more accepting when faced with a situation such as this.

It's been snowing here in Washington State for days for Jessica
                            "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Comment

My heart aches for you too! I am new to this forum myself for my dad who was injured at the beginning of October by falling out of a tree. He leaves rehab on Sunday (today's really his last day). I'm glad that you've found this resource. Everyone has been really great here. There is so much information and my family has found it so helpful and I know that you will too! Please take of yourself too. Everyone else is right, you have to take of yourself so that you can take care of her. I'll be thinking about all the new people that have joined this oh so exclusive club lately (and not so lately!)

Comment

Working...
                              X