No announcement yet.

New member and new injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry to meet you, but shit. ...effin helicopters....no crash landings, just crash....you're in the right place now, welcome

Comment

Welcome to Carecure.

Thank you for your service to our country.
      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Welcome to CC, and thank you for your service. As has been mentioned already, there are lots of wonderful people here, and lots of people able to answer questions you might have.

Comment

6Gun, Gotta ditto so many others. Welcome (unfortunatly) keep in contact daily, and Thank You for your committment and service.
          Dave
          Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
          "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

Comment

Those are great rehab places. Will you be folowed by Tampa or Memphis VA???
            Of couse I think Houston is the best but totally biased.Each VA is a bit different.
            CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              Those are great rehab places. Will you be folowed by Tampa or Memphis VA???
              Of couse I think Houston is the best but totally biased.Each VA is a bit different.
              CWO
              Currently being followed by the Murfreesboro and Nashville VA. Murfreesboro has a SCI clinic, but nothing like Tampa or I'm sure Memphis. Currently all further rehab/recovery is being done by myself.

I feel like I'm floundering around out here. I'm told the first year to 18 months is the best chance for some kind of recovery, but being a complete injury I felt it was kinda like "here's your wheelchair, get good in it."

Very frustrating and I feel like time is running out.

Comment

[quote=6GunCobra;975580]Currently being followed by the Murfreesboro and Nashville VA. Murfreesboro has a SCI clinic, but nothing like Tampa or I'm sure Memphis. Currently all further rehab/recovery is being done by myself.

I feel like I'm floundering around out here. I'm told the first year to 18 months is the best chance for some kind of recovery, but being a complete injury I felt it was kinda like "here's your wheelchair, get good in it."

Very frustrating and I feel like time is running out.[/quote
                6GunCobra,
                If you feel like your floundering around out here ever thought about seeing if you could go to say the Sheperd Center in Atlanta Georgia or Craig Hospital in Englewood Colorado or Rehab Institute of Chicago or the great rehab center in New Jersey which the name of it escapes me at this time.
                May be if you asked the VA for more therapy since your service connected they would be willing to pick up the tab for more therapy. It will set the tone for what the rest of your life will be like.The more you do now since your a new injury the better your life will be in the future.
                GOOD LUCK ! Keep us all posted please & let us know how your doing as we all care about you here at Care Cure !

Regards,
                Bob
                Fellow CC Member,Veteran & Fellow Wheeler

Comment

Originally posted by 6GunCobra View Post
                  Currently being followed by the Murfreesboro and Nashville VA. Murfreesboro has a SCI clinic, but nothing like Tampa or I'm sure Memphis. Currently all further rehab/recovery is being done by myself.

6GunCobra,
                  The name of the rehab center in New Jersey is Kessler Rehabilitation Institute.
                  Bob

Comment

Welome to CC I apologize I missed your post on the first spin. My injury is almost 18 mos, I still feel like I'm floundering a lot. My body seems as if it's still changing constantly, some good, some not so much. Keep on pushing forward, we gotta do what we getta do.
                    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Comment

I know the nurse at the Murfreesboro VA SCI clinic.

Neither that location or Nashville is a VA SCI Center. They have support clinics, but they do not have the expertise to provide you will the specialty care such as custom equipment orders, SCI-specialty surgeries or other complex care. Your designated SCI Center from that area would be Memphis, although you can choose to go to any of the 22 VA SCI Centers. Check out our new Veteran's Forum for much more information about this and your benefits and entitlements.

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by 6GunCobra View Post

That's exactly how I feel about my son's treatment at this moment. He is C6/7 incomplete and he got discharged from VA San Diego in Nov 2008. We live in Oregon and they just have the SCI clinic. VA San Diego ordered the exercise equipments for him but none of them has showed up yet. We called and left the message 4 weeks ago for the PT who ordered the equipments and we have not heard from them.
                        We have bad weather for 2 weeks and we can not drive our son to therapy. It would be very nice if he has some these equipements with in reach.

Comment

Oops, that was a wild one.
                          Last edited by quadvet; 3 Jan 2009, 9:57 AM.
                          get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Hey welcome, tons of great information here. Dont be shy to ask any questions, someone will definitely have an answer for you.

This site can be addictive, in a good way.

Comment

6gun

Are you certain of the "complete" diagnosis? Seems a lot of people, my son included, were told they were completes only to find out later that they weren't. Don't lose hope because of one word.

My son is an L1, one thing that has really helped is strengthening his upper body to compensate for the lower body. Sounds overly simplistic, but in the months after his injury he didn't have the upper body strength to do squat. Getting in and out of the car took a huge effort and help from someone. Now with strong arms, he pops in and out of the car with ease. That is just one of more than a dozen examples I could give you. Things have become a lot easier in the past two years just in his learning how to move differently.

Stay strong. We're all with you.
                              Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                              Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                              -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutsLucy View Post
                                6gun

Are you certain of the "complete" diagnosis? Seems a lot of people, my son included, were told they were completes only to find out later that they weren't. Don't lose hope because of one word.

My son is an L1, one thing that has really helped is strengthening his upper body to compensate for the lower body. Sounds overly simplistic, but in the months after his injury he didn't have the upper body strength to do squat. Getting in and out of the car took a huge effort and help from someone. Now with strong arms, he pops in and out of the car with ease. That is just one of more than a dozen examples I could give you. Things have become a lot easier in the past two years just in his learning how to move differently.

Stay strong. We're all with you.
                                It's pretty much complete at this point. No feeling or movement, no spacticity and legs are flacid. In time I hope to get something back and I will have to wait and see.

I guess I was fortunate because at the time of injury I was in pretty good shape. Since the accident my upper body strength has improved. I recently joined the local YMCA because they are pretty accessable and have some good gym equipment and an arm bike thing for cardio.

But you are correct...as I become stronger, things get easier. Also as the legs shrink it becomes easier to move them around in transfers.

Keeping the faith up and not giving up hope that there will be a medical breakthrough in our lifetimes that will get us all out of the chair. I know I am fortunate to still be in this world and that things could have been worse. I am thankful for what I do have and will try to concentrate on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X