Night sweat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night sweat ?

My sweetheart has being sweating a lot at night lately- not every night, but when he does he REALLY soaks the bed. Why does this happen? There is no pattern in terms of when it happens... it just does

Autonomic dysreflexia. It occurs when something is "wrong" with the body. It is more common in levels of the cervical cord. Check to see that his feet are okay, sometimes something as simple as the sheet being too tight can cause one to sweat. If he is utilizing a drainage bag in the evening check to see that it is flowing properly, there may be some backup of some urine.

Autonomic dysreflexia can be life-threatening. Sweating is just one of the symptoms. The nurses will tell you to take his blood pressure at the time of sweating because that will indicate more of an episode. I'm not a doctor nor am I a nurse I am just giving you my own experience as a tetraplegic.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Agree w/ Liz, it's a symptom, mine started with lupusyrs ago, not that often now unless I have a g#@# d#*&, F#@&%ng UTI.

Comment

I once had cold sweats like this and we finally figured out it was a bladder stone... after it was removed the sweats disappeared. I hope you find the cause because I know how frustrating the cold sweats can be... best wishes
        I'm not short im funsized!

Comment

Need to check his blood pressure when this occurs to determine if it is AD or not. Some people with SCI just have inappropriate sweating, so not all sweating is AD. Sweating that is positional can sometimes be a symptom of a syrinx as well.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

He's never had any problems with AD. His injury was almost 4 months ago now. Would it be unusual for him to have AD symptoms now after never having any? I know KLD said that some people with SCI just sweat. Is there a reason for this? He is doing great otherwise, and didn't sweat at all last night.

Comment

I have seen people never have their first episode of AD for years after their injury, although most have their first episode in their first year. Take his blood pressure to be sure.

Inappropriate sweating without AD can be attributed to the disruption of the autonomic nervous system (which controls sweating) below the level of injury.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

could be a return of reflexes if sweating below the level of injury

Comment

My fiance is T7 and he gets night sweats when he has run out of his bladder medication. It never fails. He forgets to renew the perscription until he is out, and then he has night sweats until he goes and picks up the new script. Not sure what level he is...but something having to do with his bladder meds may be the culprit too.
                  "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

My fiance is very incomplete. He doesn't take any meds. I will watch his pressure though KLD to make sure it isn't AD. What do you mean by "disruption" in his ANS? Is that "normal" for SCI's? He is also back at work now- doing VERY well in the OR! He has some problems with his neck getting stiff, but other than that he- AND ESPECIALLY his patients are doing GREAT!

Comment

I'm a L1,L3 incomplete and get night sweats. Not everynight but when I do it's bad. I acctually get a puddle on my chest if i'm laying on my back. Very wierd so I plan to ask doc about responses.

Comment

Originally posted by freedomdan
                        could be a return of reflexes if sweating below the level of injury
                        Is this true? My father-in-law, C2 complete as of 4 weeks ago, has recently been getting sweaty feet when he's wearing these special boots (can't remember what they're called, but they're for support to help prevent muscle atrophy I think). He's also been getting clammy hands. I thought that with complete injuries there was no sweating below the injury? Maybe he's actually incomplete?

Comment

First, I would rule out autonomic dysreflexia as a cause of his sweating and clamminess. Ask the nurses to check his blood pressure when this happens to confirm it. Boots that are "painful" are a common cause.

(KLD)

Comment

maybe a postition change

I get night sweats.
                            Usually once a night it's because it's time to cath.
                            But if it has been less than 4 hours or so I first change positions.
                            Most of the time that helps.

Or course, changing positions is a bit of work because the only positions that my legs don't spasm in are when I'm lying on either side with my knees bent, consequently I have to sit up to move my legs.

These days I wake before the sweats get bad and move. If that doesn't help, I cath.

I've also had sweats from heartburn so have learned to manage that better.

HTH
                            Jeff
                            Doh!

Comment

I'm a C4 incomplete ASIA5 11 weeks post and one night last week I woke up sweating enough to have to change my shirt. I don't take my BP. Also was in the store a week before that with my dtr shopping and was very tired and felt so whoozy in the store that I had to sit quickly. I asked my PT if incompletes could have AD and she said yes but not as likely as a complete. I do know that if my bladder gets overfull I sometimes don't feel so well. Still not sure that's AD. I am also peri-menopausal/menopausal so with the sweating it's hard to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X