No announcement yet.

July 15th , 2008 Diving Accident - So many questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is very likely they tried to move too fast with the weaning. She will get stronger if they take her off short periods during the day, and gradually increase these rather than take her off completely and just wait for her to wear out and fatigue. Atalectasis can be combated during times off the vent by using IPPB. She can also use a PFlex for diaphragm exercise, and lay on her back with weights on her abdomen (PT should work on this with her).

Is she getting any psychological counseling? This isolating of herself is very worrysome, and unlikely to improve by itself. She really needs to get into a rehab setting where she is forced to get out of her room, go outside, and start to live life again.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

has she been out of her room at all? Maybe start small, see if she will go down the hall, then to different floors (if allowed), then outside on a deck or patio if there is one. It won't seem so overwhelming that way.
      Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
      -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

wirth10 - I've been following your posts, and I'm so glad to hear your friend is making progress and already doing PT. My case may be a little different than most, because I had 2 spinal cord injuries....one at C3 and C4, and the other at T12 and L1. I am SO lucky to have regained the function that I have. I also had to deal with a collapsed lung-although mine was from my broken ribs (punctured a whole in my lung). It's definitely a long hard road to travel, but so much more encouraging to have family and friends who are willing to give an extra push. I don't know what I would have done without my family and friends. Kudos to you for sticking by her, giving her words of encouragement, and researching!
        Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

Comment

WEll Jenny finally made to Mary Freebed this week to start her rehabilitation. She has had many set backs with the lungs
          (pnemonia) and is still undergoing antibiotics and etc. to treat. She is finally going outside and feels more comfortagble doing so here. She feels that she is with more people in her same situation and isnt being looked at as a spectacle, as she felt before??? She is racing in her wheel chair already. She has passed her swallow tests and and is eating real food (and not the blended crap)....lol She stilll needs to eat more and take in more calories so they can take out her feeding tube but she keeps talking about her belly looking bloatd and not wanting to eat anymore. She has a LOT of leg spasms now on her left leg only. Why is this? Why is it now just starting? What does it mean? She can FINALLY talk. They put a valve at the end of her trac this week and since July 15th (the day of the accident) everyone had been blinking, lip reading, and using the abc's to communicate. Well i tell you what.................. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo great to finally here that voice. Although her voice has certainly changed, her accent (sp?) is gone and her voice sounds a little differnt, but regardless of all that, to be able to hear her again and her great spirits, humor, and laughter was refreshing...... Why would she have lost her accent?? I thought that was kinda weird?? And she is feeling pressues not no touches, no movement below the breast... She has GREAT range of motion in the arms and can even control her wrists up and down now but still no fingers?? Can anyone see any familiar trends??

Comment

I'm glad Jenny is at Rehab & esp. with her spitrits lifted!
            Sounds like she's doing alot better.
            Familiar trends? yep My movement stops w/my wrist, no fingers.
            Nothing below my breast moves.
            But she's just beginning and everyone is different.
            Believe big! I'm glad she has you with her.
            Keep us updated.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm coming into this thread late, I must have missed it the first time around. I'm sorry I missed it, being from Grand Rapids and a Mary Free Bed alumnus too. I was just there last Friday for driver's rehab!

I wish the two of you the best of luck during her rehab. I can tell you that the nursing staff at MFB are great. The PTs and OTs are excellent too.

Comment

Hey wirth10 I do Believe that i met Jenny at Mary Free Bed She was in the same unit as My Brother ask her if she remembers me My Name is Bria My Brothers name Is Brandon Palms

Comment

Working...
                X