urinary prolapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urinary prolapse

Is urinary prolapse more common in SCI? I haven't been diagnosed but feel some pressure "down there" (I'm C6-7 Incomplete) No problems really, but guess I should get it checked out. Don't want to! Mother had it.

It can be if you have flaccid paralysis of your perineal muscles, less likely if you have spastic paralysis there. A simple pelvic exam (when you get your PAP done) can identify if this is going on. There are other reasons for a pressure sensation in the lower pelvis that are most likely.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you, KLD, for your quick response. I'm continent, so don't know if that applies or not. It's very reassuring that it could be something else. Taking a trip cross country in 10 days and am worried something could happen. Haven't seen a GYN in years (hysterectomy). Should I see one, or a UROGYN? My GYN has retired. This has me so worried. My mother had a complete prolapse of her bladder and it was such a life changer for her. I lost her in June at 99! I was blessed. Sorry to go on and on.

Comment

A uro/gyn would probably be best, or a urologist who specializes in female urologic issues.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks! There is a new to us uro/gyn in town. Don't know anything about him. A urologist with good reputation but his website talks mostly about male problems.

Comment

I meant to add. In a nearby town there's a large OB/GYN clinic. My mother and others have seen a nurse practitioner there, but would that be a good place to START? Or is it better to see a physician first?

Comment

You can certainly start there. Even after having had a hysterectomy, you should have regular pelvic exams.

(KLD)

Comment</