Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying in private areas

Ladies,
    how is it possible to keep dry after giving shower, or the basic wash in bed? My daughter (c5 c6, incomplete) has spasms that won't even let me in that area to make sure dry. Now she has a slight rash. What do you all use to prevent this from happening? I've tried baby powder (works on inner thighs), but in the area I'm talking about it doesn't seem to keep the moisture out and it's not due to her bladder leaking. Sitting on butt in w/c during summer keeps that area moist. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She's lucky that she can't feel anything much in that area, b/c I'm sure it would feel itchy and burning. Have any of you had a problem with what you spray on your w/c cushion? I'm using Febreze anti-bacterial spray b/c it keeps the cushion from having an odor of butt.
    Aggie Mom 2007

jhorn, you may prefer to post your question as Wise described belowe or start a new thread.

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
    WhatToLive, you are not yet in the Women Only Forum. You need to scroll down to Members Forum (on the front page of the forums) and enter the forum from there. Note that people who are not members will not be able to see the forum. However, you are a member and you should be able to see and get into that forum. Just in case, there is the link.

/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Wise.

Comment

A ROHO cushion allows air to circulate through cells-and not trap moisture -and is often recommended for those with wounds.
      "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by jhorn4012 View Post
        Ladies,
        how is it possible to keep dry after giving shower, or the basic wash in bed? My daughter (c5 c6, incomplete) has spasms that won't even let me in that area to make sure dry .
        You may want to give a blow-dryer a try.

Comment

Spasticity that is so severe that it interferes with good hygiene should be considered for treatment. Is she getting daily ROM? Is she standing? Laying on her stomach part of the day? Taking medications for spasticity?? Hip adductor spasticity can sometimes be significantly helped with Botox injections.

Laying in bed on your back with your legs frogged for at least 30 minutes twice daily is a great way to get air into the groin area. We recommend doing this after bathing as a way to air the area. If you also use a hair dryer, be sure you keep it on the cool setting.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Careful, some baby powders (corn starch) are good food for yeast. We use an antifungal powder if there's any signs of redness.. To help keep areas like that drier, we'll put a strip of cloth between the folds. A piece from one of my old undershirts works well.
            The Roho cushion is often quite moist under my wife - I don't find that it allows air to circulate, as the cells are pressed tightly together. But it is easy to keep it clean by rinsing the cushion in the tub and washing its cover.
            We've never used any kind of a spray on the cushion - is that common?
            - Richard

p.s. - thanks for NOT putting your thread in the women's only forum, as I (clearly) have no access there. We're not all toilet humor punks, and some have legitimate concerns.

Comment

I use creamy Desitin, which is used to prevent diaper rash in babies.

After showering, apply a thin layer to clean, dry skin in any area where perspiration occurs -- on the buttocks, in the thigh cracks, under the breasts, under any "dunlop" (the area where, in heavier people, the belly "dunlops" over the belt). It creates a moisture barrier that really helps to prevent the type of rash/redness/skin breakdown your daughter is experiencing.

To heal the rash she already has, just apply the Desitin two-three times a day. Works like a charm. If it doesn't clear up in a few days, though, the rash is probably caused by a yeast infection and will need a prescription anti-fungal like Nystatin to clear it up.

Powders of any type have always made the problems worse. They keep the area dry for a few minutes before clumping up and actually retaining moisture -- just what you're trying to combat.
              It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Sit on tub bench with cut-out, and shower till clean. Dry: top, underneath and between with cotton towel/facecloth. Transfer to cotton towel (handtowel) on chair. Wait 5-10 minutes to allow extra moisture to drain onto towel. Don a pair of cotton drawers and cotton pants. Occasionally sit/lay bottomless (must be at home of course) all day on a cotton towel with either air circulating or with scentless facial tissue between legs [change tissues often] until rash clears.

Comment

i use long panty liners to keep things dry. only cotton undies, an a hospital fleece pony saddle pad folded for my chair couch and bed. the pony pads are durable, washable, allows airflow, and comes in lots of colors. they are made to last. and not expensive.

Comment

Thanks to all the great suggestions and tips. I'm going to stop using the baby powder. I don't think my daughter's going to go for the panty liner. I have some A and D ointment that was great for diaper rash when she was a baby.

Sci Nurse: I'm going to ask her doctor on Monday about the spasms. I don't have a problem with them. Spasms are worse at night when she's in bed, but after the baclophen and other meds kick in she's out until she starts sweating on her neck/chest area. We're also going to ask about that if it doesn't have something to do with positioning her in the bed on her side. Doesn't like sleeping on back afraid lungs will fill up with mucus and can't cough out while lying on back. Thanks to everyone. This is such a great forum.
                    Aggie Mom 2007

Comment

I would suggest that if you do try a hair dryer, even on low, that you keep your hand beside wherever you are drying at all times to make sure that you can feel with your normal sensation how hot any area is getting before a burn can occur. It only takes seconds of heat to burn skin without sensation because we don’t try to move it away.

To reduce the chances of wetness leading to yeast infections always use a clean dry towel for that area designated as only for that area (don’t use it on the body or bottom) and change it every day (helps prevent bladder infections too). I know that you (jhorn4012) were having trouble even drying there due to spasms but if you or anyone else does dry there then this strategy may help

I always stay in bed for a while after my shower to make sure I am dry before getting up. If I get up damp I will be damp all day because no air circulates in between my legs when I am in my chair.

If she is sweating it could be from discomfort rather than just moisture so make sure that her cushion is working (properly inflated, not leaving red marks etc.) and that she is weight shifting properly and enough.

Comment

easy way to 'frog' legs and passive stretch for low back

Laying in bed on your back with your legs frogged for at least 30 minutes twice daily is a great way to get air into the groin area.

i recently found a low-tech, inexpensive, lightweight way to stretch my low back and it would help anyone needing air exposure to groin, too.
                        if your daughter can't lie flat, maybe you could prop her upper body with pillows or a wedge cushion?
                        for the lower body, turn a sturdy, rectangular plastic laundry basket topside down on the bed, then place lower legs up on the basket, put a pillow under calves, makes 'frogging' easier, gives a good passive stretch to lower back.
                        also would give good air access to groin, esp. if done under a ceiling fan.

Comment

crashbang...welcome...your profile isn't complete so I was wondering your level of injury or are you a caregiver? Sorry if I missed a post telling us all about yourself...judy

Comment

hi judy,
                            i'm new here and trying to learn the ropes, haven't filled in my profile yet.
                            i had an incomplete c5 injury in 1970 from a waterskiing accident, i was a young teen. i was fortunate to get an emergency laminectomy and fusion
                            within hours after my accident. i was in halo traction on a stryker frame bed for about eight weeks and started getting some arm movement
                            after the first two weeks, could wiggle big toe on right foot at end of hospital stay. my left side was more affected than right.
                            i was released to my parents' care at home and had outpatient PT and OT
                            for about a year, ultimately I was able to walk with a spastic gait, had some b&b sensation and limited control, some respiratory issues, quad hands, but was able to grasp and pinch, so able to function independently.
                            i've had a nice life, went to college, grad school, got married, had two kids, worked for years at a job i loved. i was in an auto accident in 1996 and have since had decrease in function, steady increase in pain and fatigue so now i'm in a manual chair or using a scooter fulltime. it wasn't easy to transition away from walking, i've had many falls and injuries attempting to continue walking, but at a certain point it wasn't worthwhile or safe to continue. my primary goal is to be around and as healthy as possible for as long as possible. i walk in the pool and exercise daily and try to listen to pain signals and not overdo, still it's challenging because it constantly changes. this year i've switched to a vegan diet and i think it's helped control weight gain and reduce swelling and joint pain i was having from years of walking with my joints out of alignment. my overworked muscles after 39 years post sci are like what post-polio folks have.
                            i'm guessing you're a caregiver? i haven't been here long enough to know
                            members' stories but am looking forward to learning. thanks for asking.

Comment

crashbang...good to meet you! your tip for getting dry was a good, thought you might be a caregiver!

Comment

Working...
                              X