No announcement yet.

Forteo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm sorry for delay too but somehow missed your questions. i'm a c5/6 complete, been injured 25 years and just turned 45 yrs old. i haven't gone through menopause yet. we discovered osteoporosis probably about 5 yrs ago. wisdh that would have started fosamax sooner. will be getting another scan this winter.

Comment

Thanks, Millard for the advice....will try taking later (usually take around 3pm. I guess it's working already if the lethargy is related to calcium and magnesium actually staying in my system (so used to peeing it out for years....had lots of energy but no bones! Again thanks for the tip (and if anyone wants to talk about it, fine with me.)

Comment

Hi Shirley, Sorry for the delay. I havent been on carecure in a while. Im an incomplete, I can walk with leg braces & crutches. I do workout weekly & i also use my standing frame. =) -Chelley

Comment

I am a T3-4 para of 15 years. My Dexa scan score wa -5.3 so my doctor put me on Forteo. I took it for about six months. I stopped taking it because I think it was contributing to a significant weight gain that I went through at that time. On other sites, other Forteo users have also complained of weight gain though I don't think it is listed as one of the official side effects. Also, I didn't really improve my bone density any over those six months. (Yes, I know you are supposed to take it for two years, but you should see some difference after six months.)

Comment

Originally posted by rmk0405 View Post
            I am a T3-4 para of 15 years. My Dexa scan score wa -5.3 so my doctor put me on Forteo. I took it for about six months. I stopped taking it because I think it was contributing to a significant weight gain that I went through at that time. On other sites, other Forteo users have also complained of weight gain though I don't think it is listed as one of the official side effects. Also, I didn't really improve my bone density any over those six months. (Yes, I know you are supposed to take it for two years, but you should see some difference after six months.)
            I was on Forteo daily injection for 28 months. I did not have any weight gain issues. My endrocrinologist suggested that I restart Fosamax after 4 weeks off of Forteo. We will see if the restart of Fosamax irritates and causes muscle and bone pain (which is why I switched from Fosamax to Forteo in the first place). Once we have gone on to the Forteo regime and have to stop after the acknowledged dosage period, we are in uncharted territory. I think the next magic bullet for osteoporosis is going to be Strontium renelate which has been approved in Europe for treatment of oseoporosis, but of course has not yet seen the light of day in the United States and the FDA.

All the best,
            GJ

Comment

Working...
            X