Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should I do this?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    should I do this?

    Lately, my doctor has been encouraging me to get a Mirena IUD or the Depo-Provera shot to reduce my periods and make it a bit more comfortable for me every month (I can't use birth control pills or the NuvaRing because of the seizure medicine I take).
    The last time I was on any form of birth control was when I was still in high school and it was for severe cramps (I was on the Depo shot and hated its side effects, especially hot flashes and severe acne).

    Does any other woman on here use birth control to stop or reduce their periods? Is it safe to be on birth control for long periods of time?

    Jessie

    #2
    Both my daughters used the Depo shot at one time. They both had terrible side effects just like you mentioned. It also seems to take forever to completely leave your system.

    I personally would not recommend it.

    Comment


      #3
      There are risks associated with blood clots with this drug, and it can also increase your osteoporosis. Unless your periods are totally out of control, I would really want to talk to several physicians and nurse practitioners before making this move.

      If you are not planning to have more children, getting your tubes tied is the safest form of birth control, otherwise barrier methods are the safest, but certainly not the most convenient.

      (KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

      Comment


        #4
        I had one inserted after having endrometrial polyps removed to reduce the amount of bleeding I was getting (no issue with birth control). I get focal migraines so was told that anything with eostrogen wasn't an option (so no mini-pill or HRT). I think Mirena is just progesterone and in quite low doses so its not supposed to cause the same problems. After two periods I have found virtually no bleeding at all, but I think the PMT (mood swings, bloatedness etc) beforehand is worse - and without the 'relief' I used to get when the periods finally started. I have follow up appt in Feb and I think I will be discussing removing it if its the same next month. At least thats one thing - apparently its quite easy to remove, and with little feeling down there and after urodynamics testing and the like, my embarrassment level about these things has certainly gone down.

        Comment


          #5
          i had the mirena put in over 1 yr ago and so far so good. my periods are definitely lighter not so much shorter tho. its progesterine only and is good for 5 yrs. i havent had any issues with it.
          Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
          -Dorothy Thompson

          Comment


            #6
            I hated Depo/the shot, tho I tried it pre sci.

            It made me spotty in between periods and I put on weight (10-15lbs) that dropped off right after it wore off, I never got the re-up on the shot b/c the prevalent spotting during the 1st 3 months was a pain in the who-ha. As in... how much will I really be getting busy if I'm constantly OTR, you know?
            An administrator made me remove my signature.

            Comment


              #7
              I tried Depo 10 years ago against the recommendations of my gyno. Hate to say it but he was right, I was wrong. I used it for 2 shots then stopped. Absolutely hated it.
              Last edited by cheesecake; 3 Jan 2009, 2:21 AM. Reason: TMI
              Every day I wake up is a good one

              Comment


                #8
                I was OTR for 3 months straight almost with Depo. Switched to a mini pill.
                Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jessie.gray View Post
                  Lately, my doctor has been encouraging me to get a Mirena IUD or the Depo-Provera shot to reduce my periods and make it a bit more comfortable for me every month (I can't use birth control pills or the NuvaRing because of the seizure medicine I take).
                  The last time I was on any form of birth control was when I was still in high school and it was for severe cramps (I was on the Depo shot and hated its side effects, especially hot flashes and severe acne).

                  Does any other woman on here use birth control to stop or reduce their periods? Is it safe to be on birth control for long periods of time?

                  Jessie
                  I was on birth control pills in high school because of really bad cramps too. When I was in my 20's I started the Depo shot. (This was before my sci). The first time I had it I had a lot of headaches, hot flashes etc. but these all went away after the first shot. I stopped it while in the hospital and started again a couple of years ago. This time although the Dr. said it was the "Depo" shot it was actually a different brand name and it affected me differently. I had spotting while I was on it etc.

                  I forget the brand name of this shot, but maybe it woudl work a bit better for you. Do you know if you would be able to use a patch?

                  When I was on the pill I was told it was ok to continue taking them for a couple of months at a time to reduce your periods. It might be worth while having a talk with your Dr. about it.

                  When I was on the Depo shot it worked for me so well that although they usually only recommend being on it for a few years the Dr. said that because it worked I should stick with it. I was on it for about 5 years.

                  Hopefully you will find something that works out for you!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Success with the depo shot.

                    My adult daughter also takes a ton of EFAs and her period still brought on seizures. She takez the depo shot once every 3 to 4 months to prevent her cycles and the hormonal swings they cause. She hasn't had any noticeable side effects, maybe because she had such serious ones with her periods. She's had her tubes tied so she doesn't need the shots for birth control. She gets them strictly for seizure control

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by WildKat View Post
                      I was on birth control pills in high school because of really bad cramps too. When I was in my 20's I started the Depo shot. (This was before my sci). The first time I had it I had a lot of headaches, hot flashes etc. but these all went away after the first shot. I stopped it while in the hospital and started again a couple of years ago. This time although the Dr. said it was the "Depo" shot it was actually a different brand name and it affected me differently. I had spotting while I was on it etc.

                      I forget the brand name of this shot, but maybe it woudl work a bit better for you. Do you know if you would be able to use a patch?

                      When I was on the pill I was told it was ok to continue taking them for a couple of months at a time to reduce your periods. It might be worth while having a talk with your Dr. about it.

                      When I was on the Depo shot it worked for me so well that although they usually only recommend being on it for a few years the Dr. said that because it worked I should stick with it. I was on it for about 5 years.

                      Hopefully you will find something that works out for you!
                      I can't use the patch because it interferes with seizure meds and the docs don't wan't me using it 'cause I've had a history of blood clots.
                      Still haven't decided anything yet. I just want these uncomfortable periods to go away for a while. I've had very low iron and B12 levels a lot since my colectomy, so having my period just makes me miserably exhausted, despite being on B12 shots and an IV of iron.

                      Jessie

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by jessie.gray View Post
                        I can't use the patch because it interferes with seizure meds and the docs don't wan't me using it 'cause I've had a history of blood clots.
                        Still haven't decided anything yet. I just want these uncomfortable periods to go away for a while. I've had very low iron and B12 levels a lot since my colectomy, so having my period just makes me miserably exhausted, despite being on B12 shots and an IV of iron.

                        Jessie
                        I know how you feel about the bad periods. When I was in high school I would spend days curled up in bed. Now I can't feel cramps, but I do get a lot of spasms and AD.

                        Hopefully you will find something that works. There has to be something out there! There are a lot of different options now. Good luck!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Mirena

                          I am a 30yr old t4/5 para. I have been on Mirenna for almost 5 years now and love it. I tried b/c pills than the patch. When I went to my doctor to get my tubes tied he suggested that I was still young and that I try this instead. I have never been happier. My periods are pretty nothing now and thats a blessing in its own but even better is not having to worry about taking another pill, putting on a patch or blood clots. I wish you luck but wanted to share that I have found nothing better after 15 years of sci.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'm now through my third cycle since the Mirena was put in - first two and I was thinking that it was a mistake, but this time around I haven't really had any of the side effects - no mood swings, no bloating, no bleeding. So perhaps its going to be OK after all and it just takes a little time to settle down.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              i guess i'm out of the norm. in high school i had the norplant for birth control. i had it in my arm for 5 years. when it was done, i got another one for 5 yrs. i didn't have any problems with it, i loved not having my period. they quit making it, so then i went to the pill. i didn't mind it, but it was hard for me to remember to take the stupid pill every day. after my accident i went on depo. again, i love it. no side affects, no period, nothing. i haven't really had much of a period since my first norplant. after my accident, i wasn't on anything for a little while. the periods were a pain in the ass to deal with being in the chair. i also have bowel accidents when i get close to my period. it probably wouldn't be a problem if i weren't sci. thats when i went to depo.
                              ___________
                              T12-L1 since 11-27-06

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X