No announcement yet.

should I do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marialea, i just wanted to heads up you...if you already knew then dont worry about this, but the depo shot has been shown to deplete calcium and density in the bones. that's what turned me off of it, since we already lose calcium and density from sci. the mirena is alot like the norpant, just stays in your cervix as opposed to the arm but if youre happy with the shot, then go with it.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

Why don't you buy that equipment that shows your ovulation, and then you know when you ovulate, http://www.clearblueeasy.com/fertility_monitor.php
      My daughter has been using that one for three years now and she hasn't been pregnant.

You can even use it later if you want to be pregnant.

If you don't have plans to get pregnant do as KLD says, cut the tubes. It is the most easy way.
      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I went from Norplant (hated it) to Depo (No problem other than the calcium issue) to Mirena IUD. I love the IUD, I visit the GYN once a year as I did before and no problems. The IUD also has a lower risk of blood clots.
        www.cawvsports.org
        The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
        We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Essure is a new sterilization option that is permenant but nonevasive.

Read more
          http://www.essure.com/

Comment

I took depo-provera for heavy cycles and ended up infertile and early menopause and now this drug causes risks to bone density. Also stops the libido.

Comment

I got back on the depo-shot 2 yrs post injury as my periods had come back with a vengeance by then. I've been a happy camper ever since. No periods since 2006 and I'll likely stay on depo forever. I'm a c7-t1 and have already had blood clots when I was in rehab way back when in '04. Afterall life is short you gotta enjoy it and play hard

Comment

Originally posted by Cherbears View Post
                I took depo-provera for heavy cycles and ended up infertile and early menopause and now this drug causes risks to bone density. Also stops the libido.
                I heard the same thing recently on the news that Depo causes bone density problems, and that anyone taking it has to be on calcium supplements. Didn't know it causes early menopause.

Jessie

Comment

Depo not a good thing. I was on it for over 10 years.

I was on Depo for a little more than 10 years pre and post SCI. I had been warned about the bone thinning when I first started and even volunteered to be in a study to examine bone loss pre sci. Even though they could see that I was losing a little bit of bone mass, I continued thinking since I was very active, took calcium supplements and thought I would be okay.

There was no discussion post sci when I spoke to my docs about getting off Depo now that I had a SCI.

Long story short, have lost a lot of bone density as a combo of being on Depo for so long and SCI.

Altough I loved not having a period for so long, it comes with a price. I gained about 1 -2 pounds every year. Not a big deal until you remember I was on it for over 10 years. 20 pounds is a LOT of weight for someone my height and weight. Major loss of libido, which in itself is very effective birth control.

I've been off depo for a few years now. I'll be going into the doc later this week to try Mirena. Hope it's not a bad as Depo.

PM me if you have questions about Depo.

Comment

If having kids isn't a consideration -- I highly recommend the uterine ablation combined with a tubal. Birth control and reduces/eliminates periods (haven't had one in over a year!). Sweet!
                    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                    -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

I started depo at 31 and lost my libido after that and never got it back not the ability to get pregnant and I went into menopause. Also I have DDD and can't walk now at 50 barely. This drug is used to make pedophiles sterile! I will oppose this drug forever! Just my experience...

Comment

Working...
                      X