Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had just limited yourselves to reading and not making adolescent and rude comments, we would not need this forum, but we do.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      If you had just limited yourselves to reading and not making adolescent and rude comments, we would not need this forum, but we do.

(KLD)
      ...so true...
      "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

Originally posted by carbar View Post
        Yes, you see I'm a lady. I do lots of lady things, like lady reading, lady laughing and lady relaxing. And I eat like a lady. That's because I am a lady (gentling brushing the lady hair from my lady face).
        Roflmao!
        ...hopefully you don't have any ladies' testi-clay.

Originally posted by Timaru View Post
        You wouldn't say that if you knew the "lady" she was mimicking!

What darlings, eh? Fresh from les ballets, by the looks.

Comment

Well I'm a Lesbian...... can I join?

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
            I was joking. I'm happy the ladies have a forum in which to connect as peers.

Comment

Van Quad

Ladies!
              You teach us so much! How are we to become caring, sensitive men if we can't read the intimate details of your sex lives
              ???

Originally posted by Van Quad View Post
              I was joking. I'm happy the ladies have a forum in which to connect as peers.
              Good I was fixing to say, get a wife that's not our job.
              sigpic

Comment

Are we allowed to joke with the men in the sex and relationship too?
                TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
                  Are we allowed to joke with the men in the sex and relationship too?
                  Yep, that forum is still co-ed. If the guys have to have their own forum, I'm sure Wise will arrange one. Maybe they need one to discuss prostates, honestly. Although if a guy posted "My prostate is the size of a tennis ball-Help!", none of us women would mock him for it.

Many a man has posted concern about post-sci shrinkage and women haven't poked fun.

But if a woman is concerned about the muscle tone of her vagina post-SCI, the men felt free to jump in and have a pissing contest about their woman's kegel-ing ability.
                  Blog:
                  Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

That is exactly what I mean. We don't do it, but maybe we should start
                    I am sure they would have taken it serious and not like a joke and been offended.
                    TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post
                      Yep, that forum is still co-ed. If the guys have to have their own forum, I'm sure Wise will arrange one. Maybe they need one to discuss prostates, honestly. Although if a guy posted "My prostate is the size of a tennis ball-Help!", none of us women would mock him for it.

Many a man has posted concern about post-sci shrinkage and women haven't poked fun.

But if a woman is concerned about the muscle tone of her vagina post-SCI, the men felt free to jump in and have a pissing contest about their woman's kegel-ing ability.
                      I read that and got the biggest laugh. In my early days of learning about catheters and such my education came from "Quad day" at the local VA urology clinic. It was called quad day so they could have extra staff on hand for all the extra lifting involved. Now 28 years ago we were in an old antiquated building with very old equipment in the way of tables and stuff.

So we sat lined up in the hallway waiting on our turn to go into the room - me and all the guys. Of course it wasn't just quads there were plenty of all sorts of guys there with us.

And while sitting there I learned all about prostrates and external catheters long before I learned how to finally manage to change my own catheter. Mention prostrate or external catheter I can still picture that dingy old hallway and me out there with all those guys. At least the exam room has a fully functioning door. Never realized how grateful I am for the new building and all the vastly improved equipment we have now.

Comment

An open response to a difficult issue ....

I write in response to the establishment of a special member cataegory forum.

With regard to the establishment of a women's only forum, I respond because I believe that the point of exclusion is really being missed here.

In writing this commentary on the already established women’s only forum, many here will take this as personal or just another misplaced male, when my concern in writing this dialogue is to attempt to create a collegial discussion and re-thinking of a separatist forum being developed and condoned for what ever reason.

How many more separatist forums should we set up here and then for what areas or persons? A rhetorical question that does not have an answer as of the writing of this position.

If the CC forum wants to restrict access to a forum it should be to members only and not by gender.

The position being established here i creating a special forum for only some members in a publicly run forum is to encourage and support the expository rhetoric of feminist writing and thought (although in disguise as a just a place for women to write about their needs) and reinforces the concept that the male gender is a negative contributor to women being oppressed.

Why does this forum have to be exclusionary? It is in my opinion, simply more feminist logic and philosophy taken to the extreme.

If you want to eliminate the "SPAM" then make it a member’s only forum and make people responsible.

If there are women or men who are unable to accept responsibility for their writing or thoughts, then deal with them and rather than suggest that all men are the problem and that all men should therefore be excluded and deemed not worthy of reading the thoughts and opinions of women on some or all topics if taken to the extreme. I find any attempt to control and censor who can read and write to be oppressive and derogatory.

Based on the establishment I feel that I have been labeled as a blight or a possibly a blighter and someone who can’t read and comprehend the secret diary and words of the selected women on a public forum.

I acknowledge that this is not the likely intention of this forum but I am just very tired of the male bashing that exists and is condoned in society and attempts for equality are rebuffed on historical models and now it creeps into the CC forums.

The truth is that if I were to undertake “female bashing” as a reason for a separate male forum then I would be accused, and rightfully so of bigotry and bias. Yet under the guise of spam or the inability of some members of the forum to reply in a civil manner myself and all males are being excluded.

Feminist writings and historical evidence have always been based on the hidden philosophy of equality denied and yet here we are going to deny equal opportunity to males through the establishment of a separate forum based on female gender.

Do I believe that I am not capable of reading the messages in the forum and being educated or enlightened? It would appear others believe I am incapable of reading these ideas.

I live with this in academia everyday and exclusion is not the way to go no matter how "gynecology challenging" the issues are or the topics are. Separation of forums and thoughts are really censorship of my ability to read or to write responses. Not that I would be inclined to comment but I feel I must speak up for the right to be able to be a full member in the CC forum not a restricted member on a public forum. Nor is it the way to deal with childish males who can't complete a rational thought.

Deal with the individuals not through censorship or denial but through objective confrontation.

There must be a better way and so I must register an objection to this ill thought out process.

I urge all to reconsider this special category of people and thought being established here not because I object to their right to connect but based on the rights of my exclusion being that of my gender and guilt by association.

I am against all forums of censorship … the inability to read or to comment!

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

wheelchairtitan, sometimes women need woman comfort. and its easier to have a separate forum for delicate issues than to exclude those not emotionally mature enough to be sensitive to sensitive issues.

some things which are everyday issues to women with sci, are never brought up because little boys are listening.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                            wheelchairtitan, sometimes women need woman comfort. and its easier to have a separate forum for delicate issues than to exclude those not emotionally mature enough to be sensitive to sensitive issues.

some things which are everyday issues to women with sci, are never brought up because little boys are listening.
                            I recognize what you are saying and understand the importance of the issue.

It is dismissive to refer to males as "little boys"!

You have lost the scope of my writings and yet you prove some of my thoughts as true.

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

Comment

Ah, but she wasn;t referring to ALL males here .... take a look at what had happened to some legitimate threads, about a woman's problem, and see why some people aren;t willing to ask sensitive questions on an open board.
                              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
                                Ah, but she wasn;t referring to ALL males here .... take a look at what had happened to some legitimate threads, about a woman's problem, and see why some people aren;t willing to ask sensitive questions on an open board.
                                So why deal with this as if it were a grade 5 problem? Your answer is to say all males are equally inappropriate and can't be involved.

The women who have Wise's ear use the approach that if one child is bad your answer is to say they are all to be punished.

I do not accept the fact that there should be exclusionary forums

How grade school is your response and the handling of this issue... deal with the individuals who are offensive.

I am writing to this issue because it is an important point of open discourse and exclusion is not the answer.

William
                                Last edited by wheelchairTITAN; 10 Dec 2008, 8:34 AM. Reason: Added my name

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

Comment

Working...
                                X