Waist, not weight, key to long life Putting on the pounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mona,
    i think your better off using ace bandage if someone can wrap them for you. i just worry you buy the gloves and the gloves not fitting the handles properly. happened to me in a similar situation.
    Many Blessings,
    Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Comment

i'm also a quad and i know it's very difficult to lose weight but i find when i do lose weight my belly does get smaller and the big arms everyone complains about get smaller and more shapely too. i try to stay consistent with weighing myself so things don't get out of control; when i do need to lose weight i write down everything i eat to keep track of calories. i don't necessarily cut out any food groups. i weigh and measure all my food and portions so i know exactly what i'm taking in. for example i'm 5'3", 114 lbs, 33 years old and fairly active. right now i'm trying to get to target weight of 112 lbs so i'm consuming between 1300 to 1400 calories a day. i've lost 4 lbs thus far so it does work. remember that certain liquids can have alot of calories too.

Comment

I'm T-6, and have had some success trying to do half-crunches, but lack the muscle control to have it make much difference.

I've wondered about the stimulating abdominal belts also - anyone have experience with those?

Comment

WLC,

that vitaglide looks great but way out of my price range right now. Do you think rigging up some elastic bands might give a similar workout?

Thanks
          I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and
          hunger.

Comment

sorry for the delay. i've been away.
            any exercise would help but would be difficult to duplicate with bands but you could try. you need to do cardio exercise(arm bike, vitaglide, pushing) and weights(weights will speed up your metabolism). can you go swimming at all?

Comment

Thanks WLC,

I do push around the block for about an hour a day or longer. I don't swim because I get too cold in the pool and can't warm up. I've got to find something to do in the winter when the weather is bad.
              I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and
              hunger.

Comment

you can try pushing backwards to as it works different muscles.
                you could get some light weights for your wrists and do boxing and various arm lifts too, if fast enough it will get your heart rate up. you can get the ones with velcro. i use heavier ones sometimes to do strengthening and therabands.
                good luck!

Comment

i use a wist belt like a corset, it hides and prevent quad belly.

Comment

For the 1st 20yrs or so post C5-6 I had a flat belly. Now after my merry-go-round of years up, others down I now have a quad belly. I've always been thin. I do know I have eaten a more nutritionally sound diet since my downslide. So glad the tunics of the 70's have returned.

Comment

Originally posted by quad_21 View Post
                      i use a wist belt like a corset, it hides and prevent quad belly.

What is a wist belt?

I have to do something soon. My 1 yr old granddaughter won't fit on my lap.
                      Quad belly to big.
                      sigpic

Comment

I use to have a nice looking body before injury. Well, this gut and butt seems to spread out more and more. I never thought I would ever wear this size pants. gggrrrrr
                        When I watch TV I twist in my wc. Arms go one way and wc goes the other way. I can hold on to the table so my legs don't hit nothing and twist real good and feel it in my waist.
                        Give it a try. If you are in a manual wc.
                        Looks like I'm ready to deliver any time.
                        Mary
                        I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
                        Van Morrison

Comment

Great point WLC, those of us with higher breaks, don't have the abdominal muscles to hold that gut in. So I guess we maximize the good eating habits, exercize correctly and wear the gut with ummm "pride". Hate dat gut also.

Comment

Working...
                          X