Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Device To Power Manual Wheelchairs

Hey everyone!

My team and I are creating a device that attaches to any manual wheelchair and converts it to fully electric. We call it ProPulse.

Some of the most important features the device includes: low cost, controlled by joystick, 360 degree turning, off road ability, extremely light, Portable, multi-day battery life, ability to go up inclines, ability to brake, back up sensor,etc.

It's been a while since I last posted on the forum. Since my last thread, my team and I been hard at work implementing a lot of your recommendations. Next week my team and I will be posting a video showing a member of the community using an early prototype of the device and giving his feedback. If you want to check this video out and keep up with our progress check out our pages:

instagram: @citryneofficial

Facebook: www.facebook.com/CitryneOfficial

Our priority is to listen to the opinions and suggestions of as many wheelchair users as possible before launch the product. ProPulse is set to launch in December. We have less than 4 months to perfect the design.

I am extremely thankful for how supportive the community has been and can't wait to read the suggestions you have.

Thank you everyone,
    Juan and the Citryne team

Great job. I see a joy stick on the right, but it looks like he is using something else to control it. My question do those omni wheels rotate on independent pivot points? If they are not separate, when the chair is on uneven ground one wheel might go up on a bump which would lift the other, but that would cause an unwanted turning action.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

@nonoise Sorry for the delay! We've been having late nights working on the device.

Anyway, it's great to hear from you again I'm glad you like it! We still have a lot of work to do but momentum is high.

In the video he is only using a joystick to control the chair, the red switch is the power (intended to be right by the users hand for easy access). In the model that you were looking at the omni wheels do not rotate independently. However, during our testing we noticed exactly what you just mentioned. We've made design changes since and began testing the new chassis design!

Comment

It looks very similar to a smartdrive, what are the advantages over a smart drive ?

Comment

@NW-Will

The biggest differences are price and 360 degree turning! It will be priced around $3500 instead of $6400. Rather than being a power 'assist' device, it is turning your manual wheelchair into an affordable and fully functioning powered wheelchair.

In addition to your typical powered wheelchair features it will also have all the features I mentioned above
          Last edited by ProPulse; 2 Jul 2019, 8:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ProPulse View Post
            @NW-Will

The biggest differences are price and 360 degree turning! It will be priced around $3500 instead of $6400. Rather than being a power 'assist' device, it is turning your manual wheelchair into an affordable and fully functioning powered wheelchair.

In addition to your typical powered wheelchair features it will also have all the features I mentioned above
            Off road ability and joystick control, looks to be a great improvement over the smartdrive.

Comment

is it light and portable
              to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

@giles88 We are also still in the prototyping/testing phase so if you have any suggestions just throw them out there!

Comment

@wheelin 48Right now it is 12lbs but we are looking for ways to get it down to 10lbs or less. I know that weight is a huge factor for the user. In-terms of portability, imagine a large purse.. it's pretty much that big. So you can just pop it off and throw it in your passenger seat without much effort.

Comment

any idea when it will be available

Comment

@wheelin 48 December of this year We will launch our Kickstarter in December and ship out in March 2020. We will also be at the Dallas abilities expo in December.

Comment

@wheelin 48 @giles88 @NW-Will @nonoise
                        I have a quick favor to ask. The team and I want to know how users would list the features in terms of priority. How would you rank the list below? (1 being the most important feature that the device needs to have)

360 Degree Turning
                        Off-road capable
                        Weight
                        Ease of mounting
                        Battery life
                        Ability to drive up steep inclines
                        Braking
                        Wireless Joystick Control
                        Wired Joystick control

(This question is completely open for anyone else to answer as well. The more, the better!)

Comment

Hi Proplus, Turning, weight, ease of mounting, battery life, are important. Off road, up steep inclines, braking, not so much needed. Joystick can be either wired or wireless. I explain below;

360 Degree Turning
                          1. I'm not sure why you stated "360", so I'll assume you simply meant "turning". OTOH, if you meant 360, I rarely spin 360, so to me 360 is not needed. The alternative to "turning" is skid by grabbing handrims. Frankly I'm burned out doing that with my hacked throttle driven SD. True joy stick turning would be tops.

Off-road capable
                          6. The fact the Proplus has two drive wheels should help propel it over odd terrain, but to be truly off road the wheelchair also has to be off road capable so this is not so important.

Weight
                          3. Weight is often dependent on battery life and structural components but weight should be kept as low as possible.

Ease of mounting
                          3. People have issues with your closest competitors mounting, yours needs to be easier to mount than it is.

Battery life
                          2. Almost tied for number 1 priority. Nobody wants a timed out battery.

7. Climbing will be what it is. Around here the SD limitation is steep slippery wet sidewalks.

Braking
                          8. Braking seemed undoable to me and I've never needed additional braking with my hacked SD. Besides it might not be safe getting pulled to a stop from behind the main rear wheels. If the consideration was regenerative braking, I'd abandon it immediately. We like to coast anyway.

Wired Joystick control
                          4. I love hardwire. Hardwire is dependable. That said loading and unloading with the wire probably would need a dreaded connection point. I hate connection points. So whatever foolproof, stable method works for you is good to go.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by ProPulse View Post
                            @wheelin 48 @giles88 @NW-Will @nonoise
                            I have a quick favor to ask. The team and I want to know how users would list the features in terms of priority. How would you rank the list below? (1 being the most important feature that the device needs to have)

360 Degree Turning
                            Off-road capable
                            Weight
                            Ease of mounting
                            Battery life
                            Braking
                            Wired Joystick control

(This question is completely open for anyone else to answer as well. The more, the better!)

here all good points i like portability offroad and wireless joystick ease of mounting the offroad capabilities

how doesit mount to the chair can it be taken on and off easily when out and about

Comment

Battery life and ease of use, equally top priority. The rest is equally medium important. Except hills and off road. Has to do hills else it won't compete in the market, so medium-high, and a device like this can't, alone, make a chair off road capable, so that's low.

You didn't mention it, but out of pocket cost is mostly irrelevant, also, since 95+% of us have insurance and medically qualify for coverage on a device like this. Our co-pay is the same for all devices coded the same so we choose based on functionality, not price, by and large. Scant few of us go out of pocket on stuff we already medically qualify for coverage to get.
                              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Working...
                              X