No announcement yet.

New Device To Power Manual Wheelchairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m curious how it’s going. I have a Firefly attachment for my manual chair. It has the same motor and battery as E-bike. Comes with dual disk brakes. Well two brake handles, two calipers, with both mounted on one disk. It’s all about redundancy, so if one brake fails there’s a backup system. I use mine going up and down boat ramps and brakes are absolutely essential!!! If I were to purchase anything that was sold as “off road” I would absolutely be expecting to need brakes. Off road in my opinion isn’t a completely flat lawn area in a city park. It’s not like a wheelchair user can just get up and walk back to safety if they get into a hairy situation. So safety is a definitive need. They’re used on almost every bicycle nowadays and very lightweight.

Comment

So is this device up and running and is it selling well? where can it be demod?

Comment

Since the mention of “patents” came up, there hasn’t been too much more information provided on this device....

Edit - I’ve just looked at the forum MRB mentioned above (http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/boar...hilit=Propulse).
        Propulse hasn’t responded there since October last year...possibly due to the responses on the forum, which were as MRB warned!
        Last edited by Gordy1; 04-29-2020, 07:06 PM.
        Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

@T-tension
          I use mine going up and down boat ramps and brakes are absolutely essential!!!
          I'd like to hear about your boating adventures. Do you stay in your chair or transfer to a more secure seat? How big a boat?
          "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
          T5/6 complete

Comment

I talked to the boys and they have given up the project. Now enough people showed an interest in buying it and no manufacturer wanted to purchase the design.

Comment

Damn, I want to know the controller they found that works.
              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Sad but not surprising. Hearts in the right place, and a decent idea, don't make up for a lack of business savvy. Their decision to try to work 'outside the system' of DME and Insurance reimbursements really meant they were doomed from the start, unfortunately. The numbers just didn't add up in a way that made sense for us as consumers.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Working...
                X