Most affordable Segway wheelchair adaptation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most affordable Segway wheelchair adaptation

I wanted to share with you my segway wheelchair adaptation.

I've managed to recently improve the steering column for easier access. http://blumil.com/blogs/news/1786042...teering-column
    I'm also making now a lower model so it will be more comfortable for more people.

I'm really looking forward to your feedback.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150123_Sesja Wózek_0138.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	2667026

I'll say you got my interest! I sent an email via your website

Comment

Too bad insurance won't cover the Segway or Blumil adaptation.

Comment

It's a shame with the insurance. Because this way of moving around is absolutely great. I use the Blumil daily and really cant imagine not having it. It really changed my life!

Comment

I like the way you are marketing this, sort of as a kit to keep the price down. And I also like the fact that as shown this model sits high. I have one ordinary wheel chair that I modified to sit high like that (29 inch seat height) and I love the more normal eye level. I don't transfer onto it as easily as you do on your Blumil, but my paralysis affects all my muscles. The extra height, in my opinion is worth figuring out how to accomplish.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

It looks like you are able to use the steering column like a joystick for turning right and left instead of leaning your body in the direction of the turn. Is that correct? If so that would be a big help.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I think the coolest part is the mechanical 'kickstand' part of the conversion unit. Simple and elegant solution

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                I think the coolest part is the mechanical 'kickstand' part of the conversion unit. Simple and elegant solution
                I agree. Choosing which Segway model would be difficult for me. I like the narrow 25 inch footprint of the i2 for indoor uses but the wider x2 is the one that is shown in the videos out in the woods and in soft trail areas.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                  I agree. Choosing which Segway model would be difficult for me. I like the narrow 25 inch footprint of the i2 for indoor uses but the wider x2 is the one that is shown in the videos out in the woods and in soft trail areas.
                  When I was making the Blumil I had a big dilemma , which model to choose. Now I can give really simple advice. If most of the time you will use the segway outdoors and off road (rough terrain, beaches) then go for the x2. If not stick with the i2.

Sitting high I must say is pretty cool. You are more eye level with everyone and you see much more. It is worth to put in the extra effort when transfering yourself.

Comment

Thank you, that makes sense about the x2. What about the steering column question? You do not seem to have to lean to the side like people do in stand up type videos. Is something different with your steer stick?

Comment

sorry nonoise, missed the steering column question. In general when riding a segway, you control forward/backward movement with shifting the weight to the front or back. The segway responds really well. Evene if you are seated and you lean slightly you start moving.
                      If you want to turn you move the steering column. In videos where people stand up riding the segway you often see them leaning to the left or right. That's just to be able to go quicker through the turns, they balance their body that way. When you sit down the feeling is different.

Comment

I am just starting research into the Segway, and noticed there is a new i2SE. Is there any issues with the new model and the conversion or is it basically the same for our purposes?

Comment

for the Blumil it's the same. The platform hasn't changed. The visible difference is in the steering column.

Comment

Here's a video of a new, detachable steering column that lifts out:

http://blumil.com/blogs/news/1884262...teering-column

I'm curious about your opinion.

Comment

I was wondering how people with different disabilities will be able to use the Blumil. I already had people with tetraplegia try it out. Now, I had a chance to give it to someone with muscular dystrophy. The results were amazing! Have a look for yourself:

http://blumil.com/blogs/news/2582406...de-on-a-blumil

Comment

Working...
                              X