• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take A Peek At Some Future Wheelchairs

Some of these look like winners!

http://www.usatechguide.org/blog/pro...t-wheelchairs/
    Mike

Originally posted by OLDSAILOR55 View Post
    I like the handcycle but I'm a bit skeptical of the "rowing" motion for propulsion. If you can't use yours legs to hold you back, you'd a strong 4-point harness to hold you while you try and pull the handle back. Unless you row the opposite way and it would work. How well? Maybe we'll see.
    Never Give Up!

Comment

The functionality of this one would be great.

Comment

"dreams can be made to come true" It would be nice to have a lighter more functional chair but it wont exactly be a dream come true.

Comment

Interesting, but expensive concepts. As I have often said, technology that is not affordable is only an illusion.
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Mobility prototype

I've been working on a mobility prototype that will help some people I know, and it might have broader applications as it evolves. I attended the NY Abilities Expo, and met someone that directed me to this Forum. If there is interest, I can post updates here.

Comment

We're pretty much interested in everything as you can see by the threads. The segway conversions really interest me but as a quad I would need to be very careful.

Welcome aboard. Looking to see what your ideas are.
              C 5/6 Comp.
              No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

You might as well be looking at those cars they designed in the 50's without wheels etc. these wheelchairs are infact ego derived wank fantasies of over paid design conceptualists.

If they "believed in" these concepts they would risk thier paypackets & mortagages on getting them built.

Rediculous....umm could we ban stupid shit like this?

p.s though, they look cool that's about it.
                "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

I was able to attend part of Dr. Wise Young's presentation at the Abilities Expo and the research seemed promising. Some people at the Expo thought my work might be helpful. Here's a link to a video showing the prototype in use at a class reunion event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdXZi1pBy0

Originally posted by forestranger52 View Post
                  We're pretty much interested in everything as you can see by the threads. The segway conversions really interest me but as a quad I would need to be very careful.

Welcome aboard. Looking to see what your ideas are.
                  Last edited by maxlumen; 06-07-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

What is the difference with the other segway wheelchairs?

Comment

lgreat

Comment

Originally posted by JenR View Post
                        What is the difference with the other segway wheelchairs?
                        I actually didn't set out to design a wheelchair, so I'm not familiar with wheelchairs in general. Some of the other members are probably better qualified to discern the different advantages and disadvantages. The prototype in the video was designed to meet my particular mobility needs, and it's been suggested it might help others.

My original goal was to develop a flexible and adaptable robotic exoskeleton that could be customized for different applications. I saw an opportunity to build on an existing platform to develop some new products.

Comment

from Scott- www.allychair.com

www.gennymobility.com

Segway conversions.

That's great Max. There is no doubt that operating on two wheels would really free up our lives. I would love to try all the conversions.
                          Last edited by forestranger52; 06-07-2011, 07:15 PM.
                          C 5/6 Comp.
                          No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

www.gennymobility.com

Segway conversions.

That's great Max. There is no doubt that operating on two wheels would really free up our lives. I would love to try all the conversions.
                            Thanks, in my mind the prototype compares favorably against other exoskeleton projects like E-legs, Rewalk, REX, etc. You can see in the video most people don't even notice me. I've found that if I am at my normal height, travelling at pedestrian speed, and don't take up any more space than my shoulder width, people don't care if I'm walking or rolling.

Comment

www.gennymobility.com

Segway conversions.

Has anyone seen any of these ally chairs? Are they any good?

Comment

Working...
                              X