Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resources as a sticky

------------------------------

I received a couple of emails suggesting that these resources be kept available as a sticky
    Are there other RESOURCES people would like to see available?
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Originally posted by RehabRhino
      It's no surprise that so many of us consider suicide but I wonder how close any of us have actually got and, more importantly, what stopped us?
      1. the inability to reach my pills
      2. the fear that I would end up worse than I am and that I would be put on "suicide watch"
      3. guilt from family members and friends: "I wouldn't be able to live without you", which is actually quite selfish of them when you think about it

Tiger Racing, I play the "Happy Cripple" because no one wants to be around the unhappy cripple.

Comment

stick 'em up
        Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
        -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by RehabRhino
          A worthwhile thread.

It's no surprise that so many of us consider suicide but I wonder how close any of us have actually got and, more importantly, what stopped us?

Family? Love? Cowardice? Hope? Apathy? Not bearing to miss the final season of The Sopranos?
          I think fear used to be a big deterrent for me. But I have moved past that and its not one anymore. Same thing with hope. Right now probably the only thing that is still a deterrent is thinking about my family, all they have done for me, and the pain it would cause them if I did. It's a big reason not to but at times I think I even waiver with that. Sort of a hanging by a thread feeling.

Comment

Sort of a hanging by a thread feeling.
            Glad you are talking about it OJ. Just keep hanging onto that thread.
            Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

I support the idea of sticking the links you posted Cheese .......

I'm wondering ... do you folks believe an ongoing discussion about suicide in general is in any way detremental to someone with sci ? It is some people's fear!

But ... it's also one of the myths I refer to in my previous post ..... an open discussion will not necessarily give someone "ideas" ... on the contrary it allows those already entertaining thoughts about it to release them ... and vent .... (source) http://www.crisiscentre.bc.ca/learn/faq.php !
              What is going on here is a good and healthy thing .... as difficult a discussion as it maybe for some!

Obieone
              ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
              Jane Siberry

Comment

Originally posted by Obieone
                I'm wondering ... do you folks believe an ongoing discussion about suicide in general is in any way detremental to someone with sci ? It is some people's fear!
                Well, the idea is talk about the pain, frustration, depression and whatever else is leading someone to consider suicide, not to focus on the death wish itself. In fact, once explored, I think it's discovered that most people don't want to die, they just don't want to live in pain (of whatever kind) anymore. Discussing this with others can very often lead to some solution to alleviating that pain. Not talking, withdrawing from others, is never a good idea when someone is severely depressed.

C.

Comment

Yes, any resources should be a sticky.

I believe most people with any major bodily injury, such as SCI, do consider suicide, I know I have a few times. Looking back at good times and what possibilities lie ahead are good places to start as well as talking with others, as has been said. Yes, it will end whatever the person is going through, but is that thing temporary or something that will continue for the foreseeable future? I think that's the main thing people need to decide and get help with.
                  C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

I agree that a discussion about the feelings of wanting to suicide are valuable. It is isolation and fear that often results in people acting on their suicidality, not a discussion about the feelings. As long as the discussion doesn't turn into a primer of "how to" or some sort of joint pact it is a healthy thing.

Comment

Why don't we just drop the subject....I really get tired of seeing it....and it does nobody any good this time of the year....Art
                      Art

Comment

Originally posted by Art454
                        Why don't we just drop the subject....I really get tired of seeing it....and it does nobody any good this time of the year....Art
                        Quit looking in here if you are tired of seeing it. It's helping others to share.

I never understand why people open a thread that obviously has something they don't want to read in the title and then complain they are tired of seeing it. I don't like politics. You don't see me in there complaining that's all people are talking about and I'm tired of it. I just stay out.
                        If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue
                          Quit looking in here if you are tired of seeing it. It's helping others to share.

I never understand why people open a thread that obviously has something they don't want to read in the title and then complain they are tired of seeing it. I don't like politics. You don't see me in there complaining that's all people are talking about and I'm tired of it.
                          Well its always on the top of the most recent threads is why...some people it might help...other may think about it more....is why I said it...Art
                          Art

Comment

I agree cheesecake, it should be a sticky.
                            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                              Well, the idea is talk about the pain, frustration, depression and whatever else is leading someone to consider suicide, not to focus on the death wish itself. In fact, once explored, I think it's discovered that most people don't want to die, they just don't want to live in pain (of whatever kind) anymore. Discussing this with others can very often lead to some solution to alleviating that pain. Not talking, withdrawing from others, is never a good idea when someone is severely depressed.

C.
                              That is the heart of the matter isn't it? I don't want to die. I really don't. I've hung tough for three years and now for some reason I am finding it difficult. But there are days when the pain is overwhelming and the isolation becomes insurmountable and I just want it to stop.

Worse yet are the days when there's no pain. No anything. When those days stretch on too long, an end can seem welcome. I personally think crushing depression is harder to cope with than grief. For me right now, it's a day-to-day thing. Some days I think I can make it and some days I'm less sure. Knowing that I'm not alone is helpful.

Each of us copes in the best possible way. I try to remember that I have a child who is currently in the throes of teenaged angst. He'd end up blaming himself and I can't add that to the pains he already carries.

So, yes, I am one that would like to see Cheesecake's resources made into a sticky. I'm surprised the idea has not come up before this.
                              My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Art454
                                Dropping the subject is often the reason people don't get help.

Comment

Working...
                                X