Deputy dumps quadriplegic man in wheelchair onto the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deputy dumps quadriplegic man in wheelchair onto the floor

I'm acquaintances with this guy who was dumped on the floor, a friend of a friend. There's no excuse for this shit...

Tampa, Florida - Brian Sterner broke his neck almost 14 years ago and is a quadriplegic.

Sterner, who can drive, was arrested on a traffic violation. When he was booked into the Orient Road Jail last month, Sterner couldn’t believe what happened.

He says a deputy looked at him and didn’t believe he was a quadriplegic. She walked behind him, took the handles on the back of the hospital-grade wheel chair and dumped it forward.
    Full story with video of the incident...
    Last edited by Scorpion; 12 Feb 2008, 11:40 AM. Reason: Changed thread title.

holy crap........why did he go to jail?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz321
      why did he go to jail?
      I'm not sure, but it's irrelevant to what the officer did to him, don't you think?

Comment

I forward the clip and article to the NH Standard & Training Police Academy. They do all sorts of sensitivity training for dealing with other cultures, ethnicities, etc. I would think that this would be good additional training.

Liz
        I wished upon a falling star, I wished it had not fallen...

Comment

I would surely get banned if I stated what I feel should happen to this Deputy.

Comment

What a bunch of dumbasses. I can't believe they let idiots like this have such a job. There are so many of these types with badges out there. Makes the good ones look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by IanTPoulter
              I would surely get banned if I stated what I feel should happen to this Deputy.
              not just the deputy, they all had a part in it as far as I am concerned. you could see the woman on the other side of glass had clearly seen that he was on the floor and what was taking place, and yet did not bat an eye to it. this just tells me that it is common practice to handle disabled ppl in this manner in that county. and by the way, after reviewing the tape that they had and yet come up with the reply they did..we were not aware of this incedent... they have it on tape! they were laughing about it, and yet the come back is this....

I am with you I can't say anything else that would be polite.

Comment

This wins prizes, I particularly liked this.....

"The Hillsborough Sheriff's Office didn't know anything about the incident until we showed them their own tape. Now an investigation is underway."

Duh!

Comment

I hope all the deputies involved will be fired and charged with assault. They shouldn't even be Wally World security guards.
                  Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Comment

I might expect that from poorly educated, poorly trained and paid correctional officers but not from a police officer.

They should be fired, charged and jailed. Oh yeah.... former jerkoff cop in general population - Can you say "Payback" boys and girls?

Comment

The fact that they had to know that their actions were being recorded implies a combination of arrogance and ignorance that is hard to fathom in a law enforcement officer. Business as usual? I find it hard to believe that it is only the disabled that receive illegal treatment in such an environment.

I wonder what power video recording will eventually have to reduce police abuse now that it is common practise in patrol cars and jails? I believe the original intent was to protect LEOs from false accusations and provide evidence in traffic stops.

Our disability council recently sponsored an all day seminar to educate all branches of government to special considerations when dealing with the deaf and hard of hearing. It was well attended, but the Sheriff's Office (to my knowledge) had no one in attendance.
                      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
                        I'm not sure, but it's irrelevant to what the officer did to him, don't you think?
                        Yes. I'm curious why a traffic violation would put one in jail. Did he go to jail becuase the deputy felt he was non-compliant as he didn't get up from the ground?........
                        Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

What a bunch of dumbasses. There are idiots in every facet of life.

Brotherman is getting PAID!

Dave
                          Dave

Comment

From reading the comments on the TV station's website(it's one of my local stations) It seems that the traffic offense had soemthing to do with his car stereo volume...

Brian Sterner is the Director of the Florida Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center...He's not just some random person in the community...I've met him in passing at couple different events. I have to wonder if the story would have gotten the news media attention that it has if he was just an average citizen though...

I also wonder where his wheelchair was at the police station & why they had him in a hospital grade chair...It seems to me that the first thing they did wrong by him was to deny his wheelchair and pressure relieving cushion...but IDK what the circumstances were there.
                            'Chelle
                            L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

This story has legs (there's humor in there somewhere). CNN has picked it up and is rockin' it. They report that one deputy has been suspended w/o pay, and others are under investigation.
                              Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Working...
                              X