Big screen TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big screen TV

Me and my DH are looking for a big screen TV . Any opinions and reviews would be nice . We have seen so many . thanks
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

I will be in the market later this year too. You might want to check out Consumers Reports as I know they just recently had a feature on these and my parents got a Sony based on that.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I own a Sanyo 50-something inch plasma. Aside from it eating up a lot of power (which plasmas do) I have had no problems with it. I don't watch shows with it, I use it to play video games on and watch all of my DVDs. I got a great deal on it, which is why I bought it.

My brother owns an Olievia 42" (I think) LCD. He absolutely loves it and has had no problems with it as well. I think they run way cooler than plasmas, and as a result chew up less power. But I love the way plasma displays color.
      No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Comment

I bought a Sony Bravia 40" lcd hdtv just before Christmas and I'm happy with it, although it's a 1080i ... I saw a 1080p tonight and thought I could see the difference. Although it was hooked up to a blu-ray high def dvd player.

But it all depends on your source of input ... like we only get about 25 channels with HD broadcasting. I have an older dvd player.

The sucking part is that you have to buy new cables and dvd players/recorders etc to keep up with the damn tv! An HDMI cable can run $100 (I was looking tonight).
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Panasonic makes a nice HD Plasma...I don't remember which model I got but it's 42" and georgeous had it for just over a year now...
          'Chelle
          L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

If I had the money, I'd definitely be getting a Pioneer Elite; on a budget though, I'd probably get a Samsung. I bought my dad a 46" Samsung 1080p LCD for Christmas; good value and pretty nice picture. I'm still fairly satisfied with my two-and-a-half-year-old Sharp Aquos. It's only 1080i, but that's the programming that is available on cable here in my area. I probably won't be in the market for a new television until 1080p programming becomes widespread..
            Daniel

Comment

Here are some recent threads to look at..

/forum/showthread.php?t=93700

/forum/showthread.php?t=75796&highlight=tv%27s

/forum/showthread.php?t=71017&highlight=tv%27s

An older one that you may find useful..

/forum/showthread.php?t=71017&highlight=tv%27s

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer
                I bought a Sony Bravia 40" lcd hdtv just before Christmas and I'm happy with it, although it's a 1080i ... I saw a 1080p tonight and thought I could see the difference. Although it was hooked up to a blu-ray high def dvd player.

But it all depends on your source of input ... like we only get about 25 channels with HD broadcasting. I have an older dvd player.

The sucking part is that you have to buy new cables and dvd players/recorders etc to keep up with the damn tv! An HDMI cable can run $100 (I was looking tonight).
                I'm thinking of purchasing Sony Bravia 46" for my bedroom. Three friends bought Sharp Aquos and are very happy with them. I have a '02 Mitsubishi 60" in den and love it. I think they are all good. The cost of HD cable,as Lynn said,is the problem. I don't have it and don't plan on expanding my cable service anytime soon. The older I get,the more I enjoy my tv. Barney looks great on big screen! lol

Comment

Go to CostCo

I went there a few months ago and got a Vizio which I was skeptical about. It has turned out to exceed my expectations about 10 fold.

Comment

I bought a Sony Bravia 46 inch W-series after Xmas. They had a great deal and threw in a free PlayStation 3 (it arrived last Friday via mail-in redemption promo!). I cannot rave enough about Sony's TrueHD range - the W series is fantastic value, the X and XBR series look great but are pricey.

Unless you want 50+ inches, I wouldn't touch a plasma. They have better colour to begin with but fade quickly. They also have much higher failure rates - just compare the price of extended warranty. Finally, they lack the sharpness of a good LCD.

Also, the difference between 1080i and 1080p is often hard to notice with today's programming - it only really shows as tearing when panning horizontally (when you see it, you'll know!). I say it's minimal because there is very little 1080p content. Almost all digital broadcasts in the world max at 1080i. Unless you're playing Blu-Ray movies or PS3/X-Box 360 games (and even most of those max at 720p) there's not a lot of need for 1080p.

Finally, HDMI cables at $100 are a total rip-off. Unless the cable will be longer than 2 metres (6+ feet) get the cheapest cable you can get. Digital cables (like USB cables) suffer little to no degradation over short distances. See the discussion here:

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94124

Chris.
                    Last edited by Zeus; 21 Jan 2008, 6:57 PM.
                    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

I've learned a lot from this thread. You guys know your stuff! Thanks for the info.

Comment

My Samsung 46" LCD (LN-T4671) is great. Sharp brite picture, great colors!
                        "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

TV's

sorry didnt know there was another thread and didnt think it should go under computer topic . sorry , but thanks for the responses .
                          SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
                          -anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by razzle51
                            sorry didnt know there was another thread and didnt think it should go under computer topic . sorry , but thanks for the responses .
                            That's the beauty of CC.. post it and everyone enjoys helping out. I believe I paid $25 a cable for my HDMI's..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
                              That's the beauty of CC.. post it and everyone enjoys helping out. I believe I paid $25 a cable for my HDMI's..
                              WHAT!?!?!?! That's it .. I'm moving to Georgia to live in your sunroom. In return, I'll supply your house with HDMI cables. lol
                              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                              X