New house, need wiring suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New house, need wiring suggestions.

We're building a new, more accessible house and we're at the stage where the house is enclosed, but the drywall is not up. Right now I have the opportunity to install any type of wiring in the walls I'd like. I plan to install speaker wire for surround sound in the family room, and maybe some computer network wiring (though that's mostly wireless now), but are there any other things I should be thinking about before the walls are closed up?

My sister and bro-in-law just remodeled a home and they put in quite a bit of electrical conduit that is empty in anticipation of someday in the future needing to add more electronics. In the future, it will be pretty easy to thread new wires through the conduit without having to guess now what type of wiring will be needed.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

If you do put in unused conduit (good idea!), run a length of stout twine through as it's put together, and ensure that it can be pulled back & forth reasonably freely. You can use that to pull wires through later, when you know what kind of wires are wanted. Not knowing its ultimate uses, a difficult part, of course, is to decide where to put the access points / wall plates.
      You might think about wiring for a burglar alarm; it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do that now than later.
      This is also an opportunity for adding water pipes in the ceiling for a fire sprinkler system (at least in the laundry room).
      - Richard

Comment

We had an intercom system installed in every room in the house and outside. It also includes the front door. It allows us to answer the door or communicate, and also listen if necessary. It has been invaluable, even though we have a fairly small house. We also did distributed audio throughout the house, and the intercom utilizes those speakers. They can also use a small speaker that fits into a standard wall switch size. They have come a long way. Also, this was a newly built home and they included two (I would do three) coax connections, data port and phone jack in every room. Another good thing is switch controlled power outlets. Lastly, if we could have, I would have put hard-wired night lighting throughout the house either on a timer or photosensor.

http://www.russound.com/

This is the product that we used, there are others but we really liked it. A little pricey, but well worth it for us. Also check into it as deductible medical expense.

We also did an alarm system. Can be used to call for medical emergency help as well.
        Last edited by kittim; 26 Dec 2007, 1:28 PM.

Comment

personally

I always wire two light switches in my room, on near the door in the usual location and one near the bed because I hate having to get up once I'm on my bed to turn off the lights if I have been reading or something. Make sure you wire a dedicated circuit for your computer and not run it off of the many wall outlets that are put in on a common leg. I would add cat 5 to every room for phones and networking, and I like to wire cable and speaker line to every room also.

Comment

the Center for Universal Design might have some good ideas to consider. especially when building from anew.

http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/quick...quicklinks.htm

http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/pubs_p/pemergtech.htm

Comment

Originally posted by gpbullock
              I would add cat 5 to every room for phones and networking, and I like to wire cable and speaker line to every room also.
              I was thinking about this, but nowadays everything is wireless, so I don't know if it is justified. Is there any reason to do this aside from computers and phones?

Comment

I believe that the intercom uses this type of wiring. Wireless is still not reliable for many applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
                  I was thinking about this, but nowadays everything is wireless, so I don't know if it is justified. Is there any reason to do this aside from computers and phones?
                  fiber optic feed, i am sure when they get fiber to the house the router will not be able to use the full signal.
                  conduit is cheap, as rfb said you need to run a number of drag lines to each termination point waxed string works, just make sure it doesnt get hung up on bends, you could put in a plate where things go from one level to another, in bend s are a problem. who knows what the future will bring with fiber optics, then gain you can just build channels on the out side of the house to bring the new service in
                  cauda equina

Comment

David was saying EMT Conduit for any future needs that may arise .. then it's easier to access.
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

for fiber and data i think the plastic is what they use, we ised this type of conduit in the air and the man holes for inner duct too.

i dont remember ever seeing telco or data stuff in metal conduit if you get some bad insulation and the conductor is exposed, it might not cause any problem at all in plastic, but in metal it will , it gets tricky , outside you need a metallic bond for noise suppression and to bring the lightning and high voltage to ground , but when the cable enters the building the bond/metal shield is supposed to be left open, cause you dont want to bring the lightning strike into the house or office building. old school flex telco table, never used conduit , but that was mainly business install with dropped ceilings and raised floors.
                      reality no one does it right anymore anyhow or has any idea on proper telco technique .
                      i heard that some new houses were using the buisness raised floor or dropped ceiling technique to accommodate for future wiring use too
                      cauda equina

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                        My sister and bro-in-law just remodeled a home and they put in quite a bit of electrical conduit that is empty in anticipation of someday in the future needing to add more electronics. In the future, it will be pretty easy to thread new wires through the conduit without having to guess now what type of wiring will be needed.

(KLD)
                        I could have added a lot, but that covers most of it. Like in walls for extra socket outlets, or in the roof for future down lights etc. if you don’t qwant it right now. Just mark it on the blueprint for later on, if.
                        Depending on the budget though, there are also those features varieties in many forms of “intelligent” electrical systems to be investigated. Could be handy; do a search on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by gpbullock
                          I always wire two light switches in my room, on near the door in the usual location and one near the bed because I hate having to get up once I'm on my bed to turn off the lights if I have been reading or something.
                          Good tip if going convential, here is the wiring diagram on those switches. http://www.elko.no/elko_nor/userhtml...M/Kobl3439.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
                            Zero. Just drop a 16mm (ca 3/8") plastic conduit in the walls or the ceiling for later use, cost is zero lol
                            Last edited by Leif; 26 Dec 2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

If your house is single level, the only thing you need is a few raceways from the electrical panel and the low voltage or data panel to the attic and crawl space. From there you can access any room in the house in the future. I do not suggest using EMT, but rather 3/4 or 1" non metallic tubing. http://www.carlon.com/sd-cgi/hsrun.h...logObjectId=70

Just make sure you take really good pictures of all the walls in the house after the heating/plumbing/electrical is in, so you know where you can drop stuff down and what it's in the way.
                              If you have a two story house with no basement or crawl access, you might have to wire the low voltage in conduit, or run your choice of composite cable.

I wouldn't run anything extra for electrical outlets, just make sure that all your receptacle wiring is done in 12AWG wire, or 20A circuits, with dedicated circuits for your computer, and other essential equipment, or stuff you might want to run off a generator or other energy source. There is just too much stuff to go into, but everybody is throwing in some good ideas. Good luck with your project Zero.
                              _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
                              Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

Comment

Working...
                              X