Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anybody else believe in reincarnation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IanTPoulter
    Why is reincarnation illogical?
    For me, whether God exists or not, it doesn't seem logical that the soul leaves the body at death and re-enters a baby at birth. It's just my opinion. Spiritual matters are so uncertain.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français
      For me, whether God exists or not, it doesn't seem logical that the soul leaves the body at death and re-enters a baby at birth. It's just my opinion. Spiritual matters are so uncertain.
      In your opinion, is the soul created at birth?

Comment

Originally posted by IanTPoulter
        In your opinion, is the soul created at birth?
        Honestly, Ian, I remain uncertain about that as well. Mainstream Christianity tells us the soul is created at conception, while another biblically-based view is that the soul enters the body upon the first breath. I find it hard to believe an embryo has a soul, especially since the majority of them are naturally aborted. It's also hard for me to think that a baby doesn't have a soul in the womb until it's born, its ass is smacked and it breathes. It is not for me to say because it remains a mystery.

Comment

Matter never disappears. It changes form but still remains. Our bodies turn to life giving soil and our souls/spirits hang around eretherally till they find a new home. Yep, I believe.
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Souls/spirits aren't matter according to physics, right?

Comment

hardluckhitshome,

Well I think you will have a hard time finding anybody to convince you otherwise since the major religions that believe in reincarnation (judaism, hindusim, maybe buddhism?) do not seek converts and it's not important to them that you believe in reincarnation.
              I believe that whomever is making a claim is intellectually obligated to defend or back that claim up.

I'm not asking for them to convert me, but to simply present some sort of valid foundation behind their belief.

Hey there, Ian. It is illogical to hold, because of the fact that it contains no valid foundation. The belief seems to stem from subjective experience (upbringing, for example), which isn't a valid, tenable foundation at all.

And so sense it is obviously foundationless and therefore untenable, then it logically follows that it is irrational to hold.

Ciao.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamCraig
                hardluckhitshome,

I believe that whomever is making a claim is intellectually obligated to defend or back that claim up.
                What claim was made? I asked if anybody else believed in reincarnation. I do think that reincarnation exists and I am only obligated to support my claim if I were trying to persuade you that it were true.

I'm not asking for them to convert me, but to simply present some sort of valid foundation behind their belief.
                What would you consider a valid foundation?

Hey there, Ian. It is illogical to hold, because of the fact that it contains no valid foundation.
                See above.

The belief seems to stem from subjective experience (upbringing, for example), which isn't a valid, tenable foundation at all.
                Why not?

And so sense it is obviously foundationless and therefore untenable, then it logically follows that it is irrational to hold.

Ciao.
                How is it obviously "foundationless"? You sort of remind me of someone else that I've recently discussed religion with, and both of you seem fond of saying that something is "illogical" because it is "illogical.". You at least have some reasons other than your feelings though.

However, it doesn't quite work that way (i.e. something is illogical just because it is , or because you feel that it is, or because it 'obviously' must be).

Reincarnation itself is not an argument but an event - whether mythical or based in reality. Hence reincarnation itself cannot be deemed to be logical or illogical any more than sleeping is logical or illogical. Only the arguments that people use to prove or disprove reincarnation can be deemed logical or illogical. And, as it stands, nobody has presented any arguments in favor of reincarnation and therefore there is no basis, as of yet, for using the terms "logical" or "illogical" based on what I have said about reincarnation.

Comment

Originally posted by hardluckhitshome
                  How is it obviously "foundationless"? You sort of remind me of someone else that I've recently discussed religion with, and both of you seem fond of saying that something is "illogical" because it is "illogical.". You at least have some reasons other than your feelings though.

Reincarnation itself is not an argument but an event - whether mythical or based in reality. Hence reincarnation itself cannot be deemed to be logical or illogical any more than sleeping is logical or illogical. Only the arguments that people use to prove or disprove reincarnation can be deemed logical or illogical. And, as it stands, nobody has presented any arguments in favor of reincarnation and therefore there is no basis, as of yet, for using the terms "logical" or "illogical" based on what I have said about reincarnation.
                  You can say it was me. I don't care. I'm the one who used illogical in place of a word with similar meanings.
                  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/illogical

Your teaching on logic has to do with philosophy and has nothing to do with using the word in colloquial speech.

Comment

hardluckhitshome,

What claim was made? I asked if anybody else believed in reincarnation. I do think that reincarnation exists and I am only obligated to support my claim if I were trying to persuade you that it were true.
                    The claim that reincarnation exists is what I'm challenging. I haven't denied it, but am remaining skeptical or agnostic in regards to it until I see something worthy of persuasion.

What would you consider a valid foundation?
                    In regards to the subject, evidence would be a great starting point.

You ask "why not" in regards to subject experience not being a valid, tenable foundation. The reason it isn't is the same reason a morality founded on subjectivity doesn't contain a valid, tenable foundation. Subjectivity amounts to something akin to an opinion... it is that which cannot be proven.

How is it obviously "foundationless"?
                    Because it obviously contains no evidence.

I may as well believe that an invisible, pink elephant stalks me and as a foundation for that believe I can do what you seem to be aiming for and shout "subjective experience".

Ciao.

Comment

The Bible’s message offers something far more comforting than the idea of being reborn in a world filled with sickness, sorrow, pain, and death.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamCraig
                        When you look at reincarnation from a purely logical point of view, it is obviously groundless and therefore untenable, which makes it irrational to hold.

I welcome someone to convince me otherwise, though.
                        I believe in reincarnation but not necessarily in the Hindu or Buddhist sense. All of our thoughts, memories and emotions are made up of electrical signals in our brains. Energy does not just disappear or change state, it moves on which leads me to believe that there is some form of reincarnation.
                        C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                        Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Originally posted by rybread
                          I believe in reincarnation but not necessarily in the Hindu or Buddhist sense. All of our thoughts, memories and emotions are made up of electrical signals in our brains. Energy does not just disappear or change state, it moves on which leads me to believe that there is some form of reincarnation.
                          Ry, I agree with you this is very close to my own belief.
                          My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by rybread
                            That would be resurrection....

Comment

Originally posted by anthony
                              That would be resurrection....
                              no, it's science
                              My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JenJen
                                no, it's science
                                how about proven by science

Comment

Working...
                                X