Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anybody else believe in reincarnation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WilliamCraig
    ...I may come back as a howler monkey and engage in excrement throwing contests.
    I thought that's what you HAVE been doing. ...oops did I just step on your tail.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamCraig
      I feel that reincarnation is at fault with that nasty word called logic. The belief also goes against simple logical rules or principles - that is, it is groundless and jumps to the conclusion.
      You don't KNOW that everyone's belief in reincarnation violates any rules or principles or that it is groundless. The fact that sufficient evidence has not been presented here, doesn't prove that no evidence exists.

I gave and continue to give my thoughts.
      So Sean left the door open to you spilling everything you're thinking, no matter how rude the sharing of those thoughts may be seem to others? Come on. You're having fun laughing at some people's beliefs and you know it. Playing it cool like you are, making jabs and then claiming innocence, is beneath you.

Yes, he has employed reasoning in that he has reasoned that his subjective, personal experience must be true.
      Perhaps he just hasn't examined his personal experience yet and is only relating the details as he knows them. Or do you have a problem with empirical observation, too?

How can he not have used reason?
      Most people don't examine every detail of every event they experience. It is perfectly possible for one to see a cat walk by their house or hear a phone ringing and not take the time to "reason" out how that may have happened and therefore confirm or deny the plausibility of the event.

A gross misunderstanding by you is when you type,

Not a lot of evidence being offered by either camp.

Seeing that only two camps - pro reincarnation and anti reincarnation - are here, I'm guessing you are speaking of our anti camp.
      Sorry, but the "gross misunderstanding" is yours. I meant exactly what I typed. I was referring to BOTH camps, pro and con.

I've taken the skeptical position against reincarnation whereas I'm not explicitly denying it
      That is an utterly, false statement. You have stated emphatically and repeatedly that a belief in reincarnation is "obviously groundless and therefore untenable, which makes it irrational to hold". Sounds pretty conclusive to me. Of course, there's an easy solution to this. Rephrase your statement of disbelief to something like the following:

"I have not heard of any rational or scientific eviience to support a belief in reincarnation and do not believe that such is possible. Therefore until such time as conclusive and solid proof is presented to me, I will continue to be skeptical of any vague assertions made concerning this phenomena."

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. Just trying to avoid the argument that seems to be holding up rational arguments. So, does that accurately reflect your belief in this matter or not?

C.

Comment

Hey there, Tiger.

Why do you feel the need to try to disprove anyone's religious beliefs in this thread?
        I am proving it as irrational to hold... I'm not disproving the belief.

"I have not heard of any rational or scientific eviience to support a belief in reincarnation and do not believe that such is possible. Therefore until such time as conclusive and solid proof is presented to me, I will continue to be skeptical of any vague assertions made concerning this phenomena."

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Your "basic" approach was to simply state that reincarnation is illogical to believe in. You didn't provide any facts to back that up.
        Once again, it's illogical because it is groundless, which makes it untenable and therefore irrational. I am being repetitive with it, because it remains unscathed.

All I've been given is vague subjective experiences, which only complexes the situation. I may as well assume that my dream last night, which included me being a superhero and fighting against the Decepticons :P, is actually true... that some time in my past life I must have been a super hero who fought against the Decepticons!

why the need for personal attacks?
        Perhaps he just hasn't examined his personal experience yet and is only relating the details as he knows them.
        Obviously, he has examined it, because he has made a conclusion on it. Just as a proponent to reincarnation had to have examined it... or else they wouldn't be proponents to the belief! lol

If anyone has taken my parody as a personal attack, then obviously they are insecure about the belief they are holding.

You don't look down in the least bit at some people whose beliefs contradict yours? You aren't laughing AT Sean or his religion at all, in any way?
        No, I'm not laughing at his religion.

DAN

Hey there, Dan.

I don't think there are many proponents of reincarnation here. Just a lot of people who speculate on its existence.
        My typings are not in regards to them. That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm speculating and then showing what logically follows from such a belief.

I think it would be really cool to have been a Transformer in a past life. It'd have been even cooler to be a Decepticon, cuz they can fly
        lol Yeah, I guess it would've been cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by ala
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellar_door

I love the internet...and Tolkien's pretty cool too.
          Gee – the Internet…

Den indre utvikling, like Ibsen put it so well.
          Last edited by Leif; 24 Nov 2007, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
            Exactly what statement are you agreeing with or disagreeing with, Todd?
            I disagreed that a belief in unicorns, werewolves, etc. are purely conjecture. They're not even close to conjecture, they're outright untrue. It's like saying 2 + 2 = 3 is conjecture simply because someone believes it to be so.

Comment

Originally posted by ala
              I thought that's what you HAVE been doing. ...oops did I just step on your tail.
              It was but a feast with the dark coming on; he was but a guest, and now, he’s gone.

Comment

Todd, seems we're doomed to go in rationality circles for some who are here, like me, for their own entertainment while, unlike me, foisting pretentions a totally selfless essence. To paraphrase you and others: "Absence of proof isn't proof of absence." but neither is it the beginnings of proof. It is necessary to discuss in vague terms and speculation because there isn't and has never been any substantiation of reincarnation - just that and wishful thinking.
                "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
                  It was but a feast with the dark coming on; he was but a guest, and now, he’s gone.
                  Blind Man: "I was gonna make espresso!"
                  J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français
                    I disagreed that a belief in unicorns, werewolves, etc. are purely conjecture. They're not even close to conjecture, they're outright untrue. It's like saying 2 + 2 = 3 is conjecture simply because someone believes it to be so.
                    I respectfully disagree with you.

I would also like to clarify a couple of statements.

I never claimed that a "belief in unicorns" is conjecture. I claimed that the "existence of unicorns" is a matter of conjecture.

A conjecture is an inference from defective or presumptive evidence. It is a conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork.
                    Last edited by dan_nc; 25 Nov 2007, 12:08 AM.
                    Daniel

Comment

When it comes to matters of spirituality, I'm rather amazed that the agnostics and atheists on this board actually think it makes sense to ask for proof of anything at all.

By the very fact that we are born, we live, we die, it is in our nature to question if this is all there is. I think it would be a very odd and sheltered person who is not exposed to any religious points of view, or - even if not - never ponders the meaning of life, the possibility of an afterlife, if there is a higer power, and other spiritual matters at some point.

I suspect that peoples' spiritual/religious beliefs are like snowflakes - no two are exactly the same. During our lives, we are influenced by both internal and external factors, and the spiritual beliefs we form are personal and subjective - imo. This is why it's called having faith, not having fact.

I have never discussed any personal spiritual belief with the idea that it could be proven, was factual, or that others should agree with me. Everyone has sought their own answers, and I respect their journeys and the conclusions they have reached. The only exclusion to this is when someone uses their beliefs to disrespect or cause harm to others. There is no need.
                      Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
                        Blind Man: "I was gonna make espresso!"

From the mountain's unplumbed night, Deep amid the gold-veins bright, Diamonds lure me, rubies beckon, Treasure-hoard that none may reckon.

There is peace within the deep- Peace and immemorial sleep; Heavy hammer, burst as bidden, To the heart-nook of the hidden!

Once I, too, a careless lad, Under starry heavens was glad, Trod the primrose paths of summer, Child-like knew not care nor cummer.

But I lost the sense of light…

Comment

Gee – the Internet…

Den indre utvikling, like Ibsen put it so well.
                          "inter development?"

Does "Den indre utvikling" mean internet to you?

Does Ibsen=drama?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibsen

Comment

[as monster runs out the door]
                            The Blindman: Wait. Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso.

From the mountain's unplumbed night, Deep amid the gold-veins bright, Diamonds lure me, rubies beckon, Treasure-hoard that none may reckon.

There is peace within the deep- Peace and immemorial sleep; Heavy hammer, burst as bidden, To the heart-nook of the hidden!

Once I, too, a careless lad, Under starry heavens was glad, Trod the primrose paths of summer, Child-like knew not care nor cummer.

But I lost the sense of light…
                            J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by ala
                              "inter development?"

Does "Den indre utvikling" mean internet to you?

Does Ibsen=drama?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibsen
                              Come on. JKR could do better.

"inter development?" = much more research on hESCs to find the true poetry of axons dancing and kick lazy butt anti cure ppl in their asses maybe.

Does "Den indre utvikling" mean internet to you? Why asking?

Does Ibsen=drama? What is drama, a signature on Internet quoted, then HELL breaks loose, think I go for an expresso too (edit to add: in fact, no expresso and def no latte)/for a hackman gene relaxing movie maybe.

Last edited by Leif; 25 Nov 2007, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Does "Den indre utvikling" mean internet to you? Why asking?

I tried translating this from Norwegian to English. It translated as inter or interior development. I though maybe it might have something to do with the internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X