No announcement yet.

San Diego Fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jbinny, suppressed fire is not the problem in Southern California.

The forest/scrub type of foliage is highly explosive and exists with fire in the ecosystem. To stop fire in Southern Cali. you would have to remove all the forest/scrub foliage. These wildlands have had homes built within them for the last 40 years and have been ripe to burn for years. Foresters can not manage fire when peoples homes are built on lands that through out history burn at this time of year. There is a wide spread plant called Manzainta that literally explodes when the fire triangle is complete.

However in other western forests, fire suppression is a problem. But when authorities attempt to let natural fire run its course we are stoped by bureaucrats who don't want to affect tourism. Yellowstone 88 is the perfect example. That fire was let to burn and look what happened. 10,000 firefighters were there on the fire line with me.
    The let it burn philosophy has been in place since a conference I attended in Alaska in 1980. Its just hard to let it work.

MAC
    Last edited by forestranger52; 23 Oct 2007, 7:24 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by canuck
      Remember houses & possessions can be replaced. Human lifes can't, no house is worth a firefighter losing their life over.
      I completely agree. Firefighters have family and friends, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais
        I completely agree. Firefighters have family and friends, too.
        But I thought it was firefighters job to save lives and property.
        A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

My aunt and uncle were evacuated earlier today. She said they are both wearing masks because the smoke is so heavy. Eek.
          If there is light
          it will find
          you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Im getting choked up and Im not even that close to were the fires are.It looks like red dawn outside now.Im mostly getting smoke from the castaic fire,but it seems everywhere
            "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

Comment

My heart goes out to everyone involved.I have family there and haven't heard anything yet.
              Be yourself!!!
              http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
              BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
              Sponsored Athlete
              http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
              www.genegvd.com

Comment

So far the major injuries are to firefighters who were trying to save a person who refused to evacuate when ordered to. Major burns, with two still on vents at the burn center. Such a waste! I understand why people don't want to leave, but they put firefighters' lives at risk and don't realize that when the firefighters are wasting time dealing with them that other people's homes are burning. The police should accompany the firefighters and arrest people who refuse to leave.

It looks like we are finally getting some breaks with some decrease in winds and in some areas even some on-shore breezes turning the fires back on already burned areas.

We are not dealing with national forest lands here for the most part except for small areas near Julian where one of the fires started. Some is city open space and homes, others unincorporated county (but privately owned land). While land owners are supposed to cut brush, with the winds we have had it made little difference as burning embers traveled long distances and the chaparral is so dry and ready to burn. If we let fires burn in those areas, we would have fires like this every year as the chaparral (unique to the West) grows very quickly. We are not dealing with natural forests burning. Most of the trees in these fires are planted eucalyptus, which also grows and burns very hot and quickly. Much of the burned areas are suburban, not rural, although a lot of the more rural homes and ranches have horses and other large animals (which have all had to be evacuated too).

My uncle worked for the Forest Service for 35 years, and always said no one has wanted to work in Southern CA with the Forest Service for 80 years due to how frequent and furious our fires tend to be when they really get going. He was much happier in Colorado.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Sorry to all who have suffered and had losses.
                  Really tricky situation, with the winds and fuel and homes.
                  Glad it looks like some decrease in the winds is expected.
                  Be safe down there everyone, thanks for updates KLD.
                  get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

i watched on the news is horrible ....stay safe guys and i feel sorry for what the fire and wind can do.i wish i can send some rain and snow from here to stop the damn fires.

Comment

Originally posted by wtf
                      So you are saying they should risk their lives for somebodies house?

Comment

KLD~ I have 2 nieces at the University in San Diego,I can't reach either of their fathers.Are they in a safe area or one that is evacuated? Iam pretty worried. They are both in University dorms.

Thanks for the updates
                        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Originally posted by cheesecake
                          KLD~ I have 2 nieces at the University in San Diego,I can't reach either of their fathers.Are they in a safe area or one that is evacuated? Iam pretty worried. They are both in University dorms.

Thanks for the updates
                          USD (my alma mater) is in Linda Vista, well south of the nearest fire in the county. The campus has not been evacuated, though classes have been cancelled through tomorrow.

Comment

If you are having difficulty getting through, keep in mind that utilities are disrupted. Just heard from a friend, who might have to leave soon, that she is housing 7 evacuees and a dog in her tiny condo in La Joya. Utilities are intermittant. Best wishes to all during this very trying time.

Comment

La Jolla (not La Joya) is a safe area too, at least for now.

As MZack said, USD, UCSD, and SDSU all are in safe areas. Cal State San Marcos is closest to the fires and classes there have been cancelled all week. Southwestern Community College is also close to the southern fires.

Please don't call people in San Diego county on their cells if you can avoid it. They are asking people not to use their cell phones, as they are also used for a lot of emergency communication, and the systems are getting overloaded. Most phone lines are still working, but there are electrical outages and shortages due to a number of power lines being down, so if they only have a cordless phone, it might not work (hard wired phones are working nearly everywhere).

You can also contact the housing office at the universities and and they will check on the safetly of students in the dorms. USD is pretty close to the largest evacuation center (Qualcomm Stadium) and I saw a lot of college students volunteering there today on TV, so perhaps that is why you can't reach them.

(KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by wtf
                                In a typical situation, they can and do. These wildfires are far different. It's like trying to save homes in a massive flood.

My property isn't worth a family's grief.

Comment

Working...
                                X